Thailand Rejects UN Visit To Temple In Cambodia Rift

webfact

I can agree with all you said but the fact is Thais admit they bombed, ruined one side of temple. The reason they said was as Cambodians stationed troops in that wing from where they opened fire and i believe that.But it is out of the question now, Thais bombed temple or not. Statement is given by Chief Commander and it is published in Bangkok Post.

A review of all temple articles reported in the Bangkok Post since Feb. 1, 2011 failed to reveal any article as you describe.

Could you please provide the name of the "Chief Commander" or some other identifying information to help locate it?

Or if possible, just PM the link to me, please.

Thank you.

Thanks. I am sure your searching abilities are better than mine, but I couldn't find anything either.

Yes, today i will find this, or this weekend and i will scan that page even, so we all can see

Appreciate your efforts, but I believe posting a scan of it won't get around the forum rule of not posting Bangkok Post material (perhaps the mods can provide input on that), but if you supply the name of the "Chief Commander" it would help to make it a findable search or PM the link.

What's intriguing is that no other media has apparently gone with that story, which considering the volumes that are being pumped out about from media sources around the world, is quite unusual.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can agree with all you said but the fact is Thais admit they bombed, ruined one side of temple. The reason they said was as Cambodians stationed troops in that wing from where they opened fire and i believe that.But it is out of the question now, Thais bombed temple or not. Statement is given by Chief Commander and it is published in Bangkok Post.

A review of all temple articles reported in the Bangkok Post since Feb. 1, 2011 failed to reveal any article as you describe.

Could you please provide the name of the "Chief Commander" or some other identifying information to help locate it?

Thank you.

Thanks. I am sure your searching abilities are better than mine, but I couldn't find anything either.

It's not about my searching abilities, not at all.

It is simply because i had in my hands newspaper with that news. I bought it in Laos, Vientian. As i found it in my car this morning i am telling you details so you could search online edition of Bangkok Post(te newsspaper you can trust, as they said).

Here it is.

Bangkok Post, Tuesday, February 8, 2011. Cover page.

The news is with the blue background:" Army admits firing on ancient temple."

The name of Army spokesman who stated this is Sansern Kaewkamnerd. Rank Col.

As he is a spokesman, he did it in consultation with his boss, which would be normal in the Army any country so, this is more than relevant statement and it's for real.

Later, i have to travel now to Mukdahan province, i will post here all statement and comment why it is not possible to find it in online edition of Bangkok Post.

I hope this will help we see the reality much better.

With love for Thailand and Thais, we have right to tell what we think is wrong. And all of this is very wrong, in my opinion.

Thank you.

It is simply because i had in my hands newspaper with that news. I bought it in Laos, Vientian. As i found it in my car this morning i am telling you details so you could search online edition of Bangkok Post(te newsspaper you can trust, as they said).

Here it is.

As he is a spokesman, he did it in consultation with his boss, which would be normal in the Army any country so, this is more than relevant statement and it's for real.

Later, i have to travel now to Mukdahan province, i will post here all statement and comment why it is not possible to find it in online edition of Bangkok Post.

With love for Thailand and Thais, we have right to tell what we think is wrong. And all of this is very wrong, in my opinion.

I'm afraid you won't be able to win on this.Those who fear the truth are quite happy to rely completely on the lies of the Thai Government's discredited propaganda machine, but call into question any independent assessment.My own position is rather different because sad though damage is, it's not actually the key issue.Let's hope in due course both sides can co-operate in repairing any damage done.

Here it is.

Thanks, I found the article. BTW, the searching abilities comment was for Buchholz, not you.

Your earlier comment ("Thais admit they bombed, ruined one side of temple") isn't reflected in this article. They admit firing at Cambodian troops at the temple, and independent media have shown some damage from bullets. No bombing. Nothing ruined.

I'm afraid you won't be able to win on this.Those who fear the truth are quite happy to rely completely on the lies of the Thai Government's discredited propaganda machine, but call into question any independent assessment.My own position is rather different because sad though damage is, it's not actually the key issue.Let's hope in due course both sides can co-operate in repairing any damage done.

It's the independent assessment that is showing the lies of the Cambodian government.

It seems like they are avoiding a solution. I know it is Thai Buddhism that teaches handle your own problems, but it is STUPID when politicians order young soldiers to shoot at each other and destroy historic sites. Diplomacy not guns!

That Cambodian report of damage to the temple was later proved false by Reuters photographs.

As i found it in my car this morning i am telling you details so you could search online edition of Bangkok Post(te newsspaper you can trust, as they said).

Here it is.

Your earlier comment ("Thais admit they bombed, ruined one side of temple") isn't reflected in this article. They admit firing at Cambodian troops at the temple, and independent media have shown some damage from bullets. No bombing. Nothing ruined.

Yes, the article is online. Anyone wishing a direct link to it, please PM me and I would be happy to send it.

Yes, it was one of the articles that came up in my earlier search.

Yes, as it didn't fit the criteria of the news as had been earlier postulated (as per quote of the red reply below, which is a copy of Post # 15)

Robby nz:

He has publicly stated that a wing of the temple has been destroyed by Thai fire.

stepenwolf1958:

And Thais field admit it. Published in Bangkok Post. A few days ago.

It is not an admission by the Army for destroying one wing of the temple as had been posted.

Yes, the subtitle headline is as listed above, but no where in the article itself does it say that.

Yes, it is not "Chief Commander" that was speaking, but a Colonel acting as a Thai Army spokesman. The spokesman, Sansern, makes most of the Thai Army's announcements.

Yes, the only one reported to have actually said that a wing of the temple had been destroyed was the Cambodian Army spokesman, which has been reported on from numerous media sources.

Edited by Buchholz

UNESCO said Tuesday that it was planning a mission to the area "as soon as possible" to assess the state of the temple, the most celebrated example of ancient Khmer architecture outside of Cambodia's

LOL -- kind of a funny way to put a quote because certainly UNESCO doesn't believe the temple is "outside Cambodia"

Thailand is acting like spoiled little boys which they are.Lets have another tantrum THAT IS MINE. I get it! They can pass out some more medals and appoint more generals :lol:

Yes, the only one reported to have actually said that a wing of the temple had been destroyed was the Cambodian Army spokesman, which has been reported on from numerous media sources.

For even greater accuracy sake, the Cambodian Army spokesman is specially called (with great fanfare and a wonderful title):

"Cambodia's Press and Quick Reaction Unit (PRU) of the Office of the Council of Ministers" as per the below sample quote, which comes further from a Cambodian army commander:

PHNOM PENH, Feb. 6 (Xinhua) -- "A wing of our Preah Vihear Temple has collapsed as a direct result of the Thai artillery bombardment," a commander based near the 900-year-old temple was quoted as saying by Cambodia's Press and Quick Reaction Unit (PRU) of the Office of the Council of Ministers.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english2010/world/2011-02/07/c_13721128.htm

Edited by Buchholz

Now, all is clear.

Now we have officially confirmed the fact that the Thai side attacked the temple.

No one need to be a huckster now, to go in details, as that would be just attempt to minorize this act of Thai Army.

To minorize what Thai Army have done is impossible, after this statement, even if attack was made by slinger shots. It is the same as we were looking for truth.

If you try to do so, to minorise it, it would makes you biased and same time that would discredit any your further comment here.

We were looking for truth Thai Army did it or not, as here were some "wise guys" claiming or "proving" it is not truth or that is just a propaganda.

Now, we know the truth about it, you like it or not.

Now, all is clear.

Now we have officially confirmed the fact that the Thai side attacked the temple.

No one need to be a huckster now, to go in details, as that would be just attempt to minorize this act of Thai Army.

To minorize what Thai Army have done is impossible, after this statement, even if attack was made by slinger shots. It is the same as we were looking for truth.

If you try to do so, to minorise it, it would makes you biased and same time that would discredit any your further comment here.

We were looking for truth Thai Army did it or not, as here were some "wise guys" claiming or "proving" it is not truth or that is just a propaganda.

Now, all is not clear. We have Cambodian Army spokesman and forum members claiming a wing of the temple was destroyed, but without evidence of that.

There is no need to be a huckster now, we need to clarify what the details are as to what extent the real and actual damage is, rather than exaggerate this act of Thai Army.

If you try to do so, to exaggerate it, it would make one biased and same time that would discredit any your further comment here.

We are looking for truth of how badly that temple was damaged, as here we have some wise guys claiming the damage was much more severe than what is evident in available reports and photos.

Now, we know the truth as to the exaggerations that were previously claimed seem to be false at this point in time, and discovering the truth is what most everyone likes.

Edited by Buchholz

Now, all is clear.

Been following this without comment for a while now and see the above poster is only out to try to prove his own point of view and will not listen.

It has been stated that the Thai army retaliated to Cambodian fire from within the temple.

Nowhere has it been stated what weapons the Thai army retaliated with.

However independent reports say there is only damage from small arms fire.

It has also been stated by a Thai militery spokesman that The Thai army did in fact shoot at Cambodian forces in the temple.

Is this not honesty?

Possibly if we saw the same honesty from Cambodia none of this would have happened.

The Cambodian army is or has been using the Temple as a base and firing at Thai positions, that has been shown, again by independent reports.

The Cambodian army should not have been using the temple in such a way.

The Thai army have always said they will not attack but reserve the right to retaliate if attacked.

This is what they have done.

They have not attacked the temple or destroyed any part of it.

And if you call believing what I see and read, varafied be independant reports, baised then that is up to you.

But I must point out I have not as yet seen and independant reports that back up Cambodian claims.

Now, all is clear.

Now, all is not clear. We have Cambodian Army spokesman and forum members claiming a wing of the temple was destroyed, but without evidence of that.

There is no need to be a huckster now, we need to clarify what the details are as to what extent the real and actual damage is, rather than exaggerate this act of Thai Army.

If you try to do so, to exaggerate it, it would make one biased and same time that would discredit any your further comment here.

We are looking for truth of how badly that temple was damaged, as here we have some wise guys claiming the damage was much more severe than what is evident in available reports and photos.

Now, we know the truth as to the exaggerations that were previously claimed seem to be false at this point in time, and discovering the truth is what most everyone likes.

Read my lips. Thai Army attacked the temple > it was in all medias that they were not! It was said that all is lie, propaganda of oposite side. Now we see there was attack, as it was impossible to hide it longer.

Explanation was given, silly explanation, if you ask me. A nothing will be accepted as excuse for your attack. no excuse for such thing.

Read my lips again. It doesen't matter you demolished by your attack even ONE BRICK of that temple or you demolished whole wing. It is the same.

It doesen't matter you performed your attacks by slinger shots or artillery or spoons. One vrick is demolished and that is all what will be counted.

Spokesman is very highly ranked person in any institution, establishment so is in the Army. It is ridiculous trying to minorize all by saying:" Oh, that is said just bt some sopkesman so it is irelevant."

I love Thailand and i am on it's side in this case. I just don't like some people on it's side acting like they are naive, incompetent, foolish, cartoonish, childish and underestimate opposite side, ignore them, be arrogant. That has a price. High price and i would not be happy to see Thailand on it's knees just because underestimating Cambodians. Don't mess with Khmers. History thought us about it.

Read my lips. Thai Army attacked the temple > it was in all medias that they were not! It was said that all is lie, propaganda of oposite side. Now we see there was attack, as it was impossible to hide it longer.

Explanation was given, silly explanation, if you ask me. A nothing will be accepted as excuse for your attack. no excuse for such thing.

Read my lips again. It doesen't matter you demolished by your attack even ONE BRICK of that temple or you demolished whole wing. It is the same.

It doesen't matter you performed your attacks by slinger shots or artillery or spoons. One vrick is demolished and that is all what will be counted.

Spokesman is very highly ranked person in any institution, establishment so is in the Army. It is ridiculous trying to minorize all by saying:" Oh, that is said just bt some sopkesman so it is irelevant."

I love Thailand and i am on it's side in this case. I just don't like some people on it's side acting like they are naive, incompetent, foolish, cartoonish, childish and underestimate opposite side, ignore them, be arrogant. That has a price. High price and i would not be happy to see Thailand on it's knees just because underestimating Cambodians. Don't mess with Khmers. History thought us about it.

Where is your condemnation of the Cambodian army having bunkers in the temple? The Cambodian army said that they didn't, but independent reports SHOWED that they do have.

If they didn't have army personnel shooting at the Thais from inside the temple, the Thais wouldn't need to shoot into the temple.

Now, all is clear.

Been following this without comment for a while now and see the above poster is only out to try to prove his own point of view and will not listen.

It has been stated that the Thai army retaliated to Cambodian fire from within the temple.

Nowhere has it been stated what weapons the Thai army retaliated with.

However independent reports say there is only damage from small arms fire.

It has also been stated by a Thai militery spokesman that The Thai army did in fact shoot at Cambodian forces in the temple.

Is this not honesty?

Possibly if we saw the same honesty from Cambodia none of this would have happened.

The Cambodian army is or has been using the Temple as a base and firing at Thai positions, that has been shown, again by independent reports.

The Cambodian army should not have been using the temple in such a way.

The Thai army have always said they will not attack but reserve the right to retaliate if attacked.

This is what they have done.

They have not attacked the temple or destroyed any part of it.

And if you call believing what I see and read, varafied be independant reports, baised then that is up to you.

But I must point out I have not as yet seen and independant reports that back up Cambodian claims.

Agreed with many things you said. Admire bravery to admit attacks to the temple.

But some people in recent governments act like they are incompetent, not ready for this kind of"game" which Cambodians dictate.

All SHOULD to be expected from Cambodians. Should to be predicted so to be ready for filthy, dirty plays of Camvodians. Who knows for how long they(Cambodians) were preparing this situation. But it is more than clear it WAS prepared long time ago.

Yes, it is not allowed to install troops in any civilian object, it is in all Conventions about the wars. Especially not to open fire to other side from those,civilian, objects.

Thais should to know this will be and should to be ready. So far, Thais are doing all just by dictate of Cambodians. Cambodians lead the game and all they do-any reaction of Thais is predicted and expected.

Foe now, all looks like Thais arenot capable to deal with filthy tricks of Cambodians. That's because this Government has some members who are not competent for such rival as Khmers are.

Things that Thai governement is doing now, including PM, are so naive, childish.

Long time ago all should to be ready for this what Khmers are doing now.

Thais should know with they deal with. Kjmers killed 1 ,illiojn of their own people and Thais always should to have that on mind.

According to that fact-what was expected from Cambodians? To be a gentlemen? Ridiculous!!!

Where is your condemnation of the Cambodian army having bunkers in the temple? The Cambodian army said that they didn't, but independent reports SHOWED that they do have.

If they didn't have army personnel shooting at the Thais from inside the temple, the Thais wouldn't need to shoot into the temple.

It is SET UP and should to be expected from Khmers. But it was not. That's the point.

Now, all is clear.

Who said that the temple being hit by any type of weaponry was a lie?

What people were disputing were your claims that a wing of the temple was destroyed. That and you saying that a "Chief Commander" with the Thai forces admitted to that, which has since been shown to be false.

No one said that because a spokesman made an announcement that it was irrelevant.

You'd do much better if you remember what you claimed and what others said in reply to those claims, instead of claiming people said things that they never did.

Regarding damage to the temple. Both sides are lying, it's just that the Cambodians are being more ambitious with their lies. It's so true that in war the first casualty is the truth.

Very true. And exactly that is going on, so Thais are loosing in that kind of"game". Doing and acting so naive, underestimating Khmers, always late.

There isn't a photo show shelling damages. only small bullet holes suggesting small arm shooting from within. Never mind that, but why UN and its ESCO want to go there and rush the listing of the Shrine for Cambodia to take over 4.6 KM2 which is inside Thai territory.

The World Court says the shrine is inside Cambodia? who's right?

Fog of war made foggier by vested interests and propaganda as sources of information. if UNESCO comes in then both sides propaganda is shown for what it is, hard to corral nationalist ferver if journalists have access to actual facts.

There you go... it seems that Thailand doesn't want UNESCO there, maybe afraid they will find out the truth, maybe? But, they want UNESCO to fix this problem. How? If the Thai government won't let them near the shrine/temple, how are they supposed to find out what the problem is, then fix it? Typically Thailand...

Regarding damage to the temple. Both sides are lying, it's just that the Cambodians are being more ambitious with their lies. It's so true that in war the first casualty is the truth.

Very true. And exactly that is going on, so Thais are loosing in that kind of"game". Doing and acting so naive, underestimating Khmers, always late.

Good to see you now admit the Cambodians are telling bigger lies than the Thais and that Thailand is losing the game of Who is Telling the Biggest Lies.

Agreed with many things you said. Admire bravery to admit attacks to the temple.

But some people in recent governments act like they are incompetent, not ready for this kind of"game" which Cambodians dictate.

All SHOULD to be expected from Cambodians. Should to be predicted so to be ready for filthy, dirty plays of Camvodians. Who knows for how long they(Cambodians) were preparing this situation. But it is more than clear it WAS prepared long time ago.

Yes, it is not allowed to install troops in any civilian object, it is in all Conventions about the wars. Especially not to open fire to other side from those,civilian, objects.

Thais should to know this will be and should to be ready. So far, Thais are doing all just by dictate of Cambodians. Cambodians lead the game and all they do-any reaction of Thais is predicted and expected.

Foe now, all looks like Thais arenot capable to deal with filthy tricks of Cambodians. That's because this Government has some members who are not competent for such rival as Khmers are.

Things that Thai governement is doing now, including PM, are so naive, childish.

Long time ago all should to be ready for this what Khmers are doing now.

Thais should know with they deal with. Kjmers killed 1 ,illiojn of their own people and Thais always should to have that on mind.

According to that fact-what was expected from Cambodians? To be a gentlemen? Ridiculous!!!

As this was a reply to mt post I will reply also:

First you have to be able to distinguish between attack and retaliation in self defence.

The Thai spokseman said they fired at the temple.

This fire was in reply to Cambodian fire from the temple.

I am no expert on war but can see that the reason for returning fire is hopefuly to stop the agressor continuing to fire at you.

You also have to ask why the Cambodian army chose the temple as a base from which to fire at the Thai forces.

Could it be that they thought that it being a heritage site that the Thais would not fire back?

Your post also speculates that Cambodia had been planing this for a while and that they are full of dirty tricks.

You could well be right in this.

I see parallels between the Thai Govt handling of this and the way they handled the reds.

I wont elaborate but think about it.

They were accused of being too soft and not acting in that dispute also, but in the end.............

^ In the same way the Red Shirts used small children as human shields, the Cambodians were using the temple as a World Heritage shield.

A crazed attempt to link the Red Shirts to an issue they have nothing to do with.

However it is even curiouser.Is this person suggesting the Cambodians were occupying the temple (their temple by the way) to inhibit the Thais destroying it?

If not what is this person suggesting?

Recently, civilians from Cambodia who lived and worked in Thailand, near the border, leaving Thailand in convoys. Looks like all easily can become kind of ethnic cleansing. I hope i wrong. One thing is for sure, people are living in fear. Both sides of border.