Where To Find Wall Paper In Thailand?

Yes thank God, there is a shortage of wallpaper here, and not because of any inherent sense of design or good taste by the populace at large. Please don't encourage them.

There are pockets of wallpaper folk still alive I think in the mid-west of the USA and 'oop north' in the UK, "ooh missus I love a bit of flock wallpaper, they've got sum down our local Indian restaurant, looks a treat ! "

...for a roll that costs about 150 Baht in the UK

Are you sure its wallpaper or the Times? :whistling:

All the major DIY stores start at 2.99 a roll thats less than 150Baht

Understand that import duty is around 80+% of CIF. You can get printed paper rolls in general shops at less than Bt400/roll. Vinyl type cost Bt600-800/roll and fabric type >Bt900/roll. So, much depends on your budget and taste.

I wallpapered 3 rooms in my house, all about 25sqm +/-. I paid 20K for wallpaper and labour - they did a very good job, lots or prep work which surprised me.....

1 room per day

JH

Good prep work is essential if you want the paper to stay on the wall.

I did my own and just had the suppier come in and hang the paper, 20k Baht for a 100m2 (3 roms) flat, walls only.

It's been up 3 years now and not a problem.

...for a roll that costs about 150 Baht in the UK

Are you sure its wallpaper or the Times? :whistling:

All the major DIY stores start at 2.99 a roll thats less than 150Baht

Understand that import duty is around 80+% of CIF. You can get printed paper rolls in general shops at less than Bt400/roll. Vinyl type cost Bt600-800/roll and fabric type >Bt900/roll. So, much depends on your budget and taste.

I brought back a few packets of paste from the UK with the intention of buying the paper here...when I looked, curtain shops, home pro etc was shocked the cheapest I could get was 860 a roll hanging it myselfe......where can I get some at 400...I am in Hua Hin area but do travel a bit....

I brought back a few packets of paste from the UK with the intention of buying the paper here...when I looked, curtain shops, home pro etc was shocked the cheapest I could get was 860 a roll hanging it myselfe......where can I get some at 400...I am in Hua Hin area but do travel a bit....

Are you sure you what printed paper type for Hua Hin? Vinyl type is best suited for high humidity.

Believe most wallpaper sold here is of the thick backing type to install smooth on the often sandpaper cement walls so likely much more expensive than what is normally sold in US/UK (although not sure about UK) at 150 baht. Agree the costs are higher that what I expected 30 years ago when doing and expect not making here means high import duties for the 1% who use.

I'd be wary of using wallpaper in Thailand, the combination of high humidity and poor installation quality can lead to a lot of peeling.

Just about every house village project that i've been to, that used wallpaper, it's starting to peel at the edges; even in their brand new show houses.

My cousin in-law purchased a project house with wallpaper, same issue...really looks terrible with the corners and around switches all pealing out.

Edited by dave111223

I'd be wary of using wallpaper in Thailand, the combination of high humidity and poor installation quality can lead to a lot of peeling.

Just about every house village project that i've been to, that used wallpaper, it's starting to peel at the edges; even in their brand new show houses.

My cousin in-law purchased a project house with wallpaper, same issue...really looks terrible with the corners and around switches all pealing out.

The reason is this: wallpaper which was invented in Europe was never intended to be stuck directly onto a plastered concrete or brick wall. In Europe, the winter requires such houses to have an inner dry lining of plywood or gypsum. Wallpaper is stuck on to this layer.

And here in the tropics, the copycats do not copy the full concept...thus, the problem.

I installed my wallpaper on a plywood deco board, and never on plastered walls.

The reason is this: wallpaper which was invented in Europe was never intended to be stuck directly onto a plastered concrete or brick wall. In Europe, the winter requires such houses to have an inner dry lining of plywood or gypsum. Wallpaper is stuck on to this layer.

And here in the tropics, the copycats do not copy the full concept...thus, the problem.

makes you wonder how they managed those hundreds of years before they invented dry lining gypsum doesn't it? :whistling:

makes you wonder how they managed those hundreds of years before they invented dry lining gypsum doesn't it? :whistling:

The wallpaper that we now get was a result of the invention of the printing press and paper making machinery, both after the steam engine. Before that era, wall covering was used, especially fabric, or direct painting on walls and surfaces.

Well I've hung wallpaper on a couple of dozen houses in Europe, and not one of them had dry wall lining on them.

All were standard plaster on brickwork.

Even my 6 year old knows the printing press was invented by a guy named Gutenberg in 1400's and it wasn't steam operated.

Edited by PattayaParent

Well I've hung wallpaper on a couple of dozen houses in Europe, and not one of them had dry wall lining on them.

Even my 6 year old knows the printing press was invented by a guy named Gutenberg in 1400's and it wasn't steam operated.

The printing press for multi-color.

^they were producing multi coloured wallpaper in the 1500s using block presses.

Sorry, my daughter's reading homework last week was about communications and featured the printing press which is the only reason I know this stuff!

Edited by PattayaParent

I doubt it is just plaster on brickwork, like in the tropics. More likely it is lath boards and plaster on brickwall. This form of house insulation was widely used before drywall replaced them.

Without insulation, paper based wallpaper would have suffered mould growth due to condensation.

^they were producing multi coloured wallpaper in the 1500s using block presses.

Sorry, my daughter's reading homework last week was about communications and featured the printing press which is the only reason I know this stuff!

Yes. But no mass production till the age of the steam engine, like the the weaving loom. The commercial multi-color press was introduced around mid-1800s.

^Still around 100+ years before dry wall lining became readily available and popular as a housebuilding material.

Lath boards and plaster was commonly used by the upper income group a few hundred years before dry wall came along ~ 1950s. They are still being used for curved surfaces like ceiling of a dome structure.

In recent times, there have been some homes in the UK that went for direct plaster on brick walls without dry wall lining. Such surfaces are okay if left painted, but will result in mould growth using wallpaper like below - a flat in London.

post-77843-0-39239400-1297847020_thumb.j

I would suggest that the mold shown in that picture is not as a result of using wallpaper.

Lath and plaster was mainly used for ceilings, the reason being it provided a backing to apply the plaster to which is not required on a wall as the plaster can be keyed to the brickwork. Lath ceilings can still be found in some older buildings.

Edited by PattayaParent