Tourists Shun Phuket

george

Tourists shun Phuket, international arrivals down 67 percent

PHUKET: -- Some eight months after the tsunami destroyed coastal resort areas and killed more than a quarter of a million people, tourists are continuing to shun Phuket, Phi Phi Island and Khao Lak.

According to the Pacific Asia Travel Association (PATA), international tourist arrivals are down a staggering 67 percent in Phuket.

Conversely, tourists are flocking back to other tsunami-hit areas including the Maldives and Sri Lanka, where credit card spending is up 10 percent over last year according to VISA Card International.

Tourist arrivals are also up in the Philippines and Vietnam, Asia's hot new tourism destination that some describe as similar to Thailand 30 years ago before overdevelopment degraded Phuket's beaches and coral reefs.

While some blame Thai tourism officials for not spending more on marketing the former "tourism capital of Asia", money alone may not be enough to revitalize Phuket's tourist industry, which was damaged by the tsunami and then crippled by mostly European resort and dive shop owners who lashed out at the press and blasted tourists for canceling holidays to Thailand.

"In the aftermath of the tsunami, the press did its job by accurately reporting the facts in a dozen tsunami-hit nations about the worst natural disaster in our lifetime," said CDNN Editor-in-Chief Stanford Suzuki.

"At the same time, the tsunami exposed the callous greed of Phuket's mostly non-Thai developers, hotel operators and dive shop owners who threatened reporters for telling the truth and harassed tourists, even as rescuers were searching for their loved ones," Suzuki added. "I'm afraid that's a "paradise forever lost " problem that advertising can never fix."

--CYBER DIVER NEWS NETWORK 2005-09-05

"At the same time, the tsunami exposed the callous greed of Phuket's mostly non-Thai developers, hotel operators and dive shop owners who threatened reporters for telling the truth and harassed tourists, even as rescuers were searching for their loved ones," Suzuki added. "I'm afraid that's a "paradise forever lost " problem that advertising can never fix."

Something tells me that Suzuki san is here on a work permit.. :o

Edited by Sphere

Vindictive bunch - the media. They were rightly criticised for inaccurate reporting from Phuket. So instead of trying to correct the misleading image they gave they bide their time and then stick the boot in again.

And where does this claim come from that tourists were harassed "even as rescuers were searching for their loved ones". First time I have heard that story. Might be some truth in it but I doubt it - more likely the reporter feels he can gain sympathy for the poor misunderstood journalists by claiming tourists were also criticised.

According to the Pacific Asia Travel Association (PATA), international tourist arrivals are down a staggering 67 percent in Phuket.

Conversely, tourists are flocking back to other tsunami-hit areas including the Maldives and Sri Lanka, where credit card spending is up 10 percent over last year according to VISA Card International.

Tourist arrivals are also up in the Philippines and Vietnam, Asia's hot new tourism destination that some describe as similar to Thailand 30 years ago before overdevelopment degraded Phuket's beaches and coral reefs.

"Public order" campaigns, early closing, Thai levels of service at international prices, increasing incidents of violence against Westerners, rising xenophobia, scams, rip-offs, overcharging, two-tier pricing, bird 'flu, greed, sleaze, over-development etc. etc. etc.

And the government's answer? THE THAI ELITE CARD!! Hehe. Last one out, please turn off the lights.

Edited by Rumpole

Vindictive bunch - the media.  They were rightly criticised for inaccurate reporting from Phuket.  So instead of trying to correct the misleading image they gave they bide their time and then stick the boot in again.

3 days after the tsunami I was reading interviews with property biz people from Phuket - "all is normal, we are getting due payments and receiving new intersts and inquieries."

Go-go bars were shown doing a brisk business.

Reminds me of the stories when a big earthquake flattened Tokyo in 1923. The residents blamed Koreans for poisoning the wells and atmosphere, then for the quake itself. Several thousands were massacred by the angry mob.

Good that Phuket property developers haven't reverted to such measures.

PHUKET: -- Some eight months after the tsunami destroyed coastal resort areas and killed more than a quarter of a million people, tourists are continuing to shun Phuket, Phi Phi Island and Khao Lak.

The above leading par to this news story is the type of irresponsible reporting that has caused the long term damage to Phuket and region tourism. It reads as though a quarter of a million people were killed here alone.

I just returned from Penang and people down there - so close to southern Thailand - still are under the impression that Phuket was completely wiped out by the tsunami. Millions around the world are also under the same impression. It will take a lot of constructive reporting to correct this image. Cannot see it happening somehow. :o

3 days after the tsunami people on Thaivisa pleading......nay, demanding that tourists return to Phuket.

Then - typically - dismissive of Thais who were frightened of ghosts.

I went to a TAT reception in january. They were taking the aggressive hard sell approach too. Blindly push-push-pushing.

I went to Phuket in February. It certainly wasn't back to normal and yet hotel prices at the Marriott weren't any lower to encourage visitors.

So let people go to Barbados this year, they'll come back when they're good and ready. New Orleans is suffering from the same stigma as Phuket now.

The above leading par to this news story is the type of irresponsible reporting that has caused the long term damage to Phuket and region tourism. It reads as though a quarter of a million people were killed here alone.

I just returned from Penang and people down there - so close to southern Thailand - still are under the impression that Phuket was completely wiped out by the tsunami. Millions around the world are also under the same impression. It will take a lot of constructive reporting to correct this image. Cannot see it happening somehow.  :o

How about everyday's reporting, even today: 5000 dead, 5000 missing in Thailand.

That's what the press says.

Could really 5000 be still "missing" in Phuket and the surroundings 8 months later? Or they can't say "dead".

Had they offered a free camp for children there, I would not send mine.

Sorry Phuket, maybe in 30-40 years people come back.

Sorry for developers too.

Tourists shun Phuket, international arrivals down 67 percent

PHUKET: --  Some eight months after the tsunami destroyed coastal resort areas and killed more than a quarter of a million people, tourists are continuing to shun Phuket, Phi Phi Island and Khao Lak.

While some blame Thai tourism officials for not spending more on marketing the former "tourism capital of Asia", money alone may not be enough to revitalize Phuket's tourist industry, which was damaged by the tsunami and then crippled by mostly European resort and dive shop owners who lashed out at the press and blasted tourists for canceling holidays to Thailand.

"In the aftermath of the tsunami, the press did its job by accurately reporting the facts in a dozen tsunami-hit nations about the worst natural disaster in our lifetime," said CDNN Editor-in-Chief Stanford Suzuki. 

--CYBER DIVER NEWS NETWORK 2005-09-05

I agree with much of this article however not enough of the "real Thailand" is brought out. IMO the Thai developers, locals and touts are much more the issue and problem with Phuket. Simply no class there and it seems the word has finally gotten out. Only thing better than 67% down is 97%.

Phuket is a shit hole.

As usual, as soon as they win some Bath, the Thais become pretentious.

"Perl of Adaman Sea". Yeah, 30 years ago with James Bond and cool Sean...

They can do whatever they want, or not do, or even do wrong... this year is a dead one for tourism down there. Period.

You will see some new complains with the start of the so called "high season"...

What they need is another year of shitty trade... People will suffer indeed... But it's the only way to put some light of intelligence in their brain.

From bottom to up (from the "taxi meter" at airport story, to some amazing new marketing campaigns hub of that, hub of this, or police raids in bars, or ID of the tsunamis victims, or duty free shopping...) on every kind of subject, nothing has changed in Phuket : they are loosers.

"Public order" campaigns, early closing, Thai levels of service at international prices, increasing incidents of violence against Westerners, rising xenophobia, scams, rip-offs, overcharging, two-tier pricing, bird 'flu, greed, sleaze, over-development etc. etc. etc.

And the government's answer? THE THAI ELITE CARD!! Hehe. Last one out, please turn off the lights.

I made 5 trips to Thailand last year, this year one. I'm off to the Phils in October where I can party till the early hours. Several friends, one who has a bar in Pattaya, are making regular visits there,and all the reports say.... better, more fun, cheaper, party all night!.

I'll report back.

I hope for the best for Phuket and it's people, but be careful about blaming the media. The press reports on things like disassters. The recovery and what wasn't destroyed don't make the news--never have and never will. That's the job of advertisement.

The point that needs to be learned is that recovery will be a slow process and by all accounts, growth, zoning and organization of the island sounds like it needs some time to get things in order.

Some businesses will survive, others won't. Sad, but that's the way it goes.

On another note, Thailand does need to be a bit more hospitable to tourists. The early closure of night spots etc. does hurt. I have a lot of older married friends & family who have enjoyed Thailand--they are conservative, but when they come here they want to let their hair down a little, stay out late and enjoy the "night life". Back home they went to bed at 9:00 p.m.--here they are on holiday.

Imagine if Las Vegas or Monte Carlo decided you can't play the slots between 2:00 and 4:00 p.m.!