Yellow Card

nakhonsawan

It gives access to free health care under the universal healthcare scheme. (only at participating hospitals)

Hey Mario

Thanks for your answer, but what you write, I was aware of.

What I'm looking for is-Why do they give us the opportunity, us farang. Is there a law that can be referenced.

We must be happy that we can do that , and in this town our public hospital is of a good standard.

Thanks again for your reply, but I hope someone can give me an explanation purely in terms of law.,

It's been wiped my ear that the government is knitting a new law together, where it will be a must to have health insurance before you can apply for a first year visas. Someone know anything by that.

Edited by nakhonsawan

They'd be well advised IMO to have such a law. Government hospitals, already underfunded, are losing increasing amounts due to farang who did not think to have insurance. Mostly older farang suffering from chronic diseases (heart, stroke, cancer etc) and younger people who were in traffic accidents.

Some of the problems arise with tourists (accident victims) but mostly it is those on retirement or spousal visas. Anyway obviously no practical way to c heck if tourists have insurance, but they can certainly check befoer extending retirement and spousal "O" visas.

Now to your other question. AFAIK, farangs by law are entitled to coverage under the Universal Health Scheme only if they have a work permit, in which event they are also paying into the system, or permanent residency.

However as is also true of listing in house registration, there apparently have been cases where local authorities had their own interpretation of this or didn't understand the rules and a farang got a "god card". Sounds like yours is one of those cases. I think you are not actually entitled to it by law, altho that may not prevent you from using it now that you have it. On the other hand, no guarantee that it wouldn't, either, or that somewhere down the line the system wouldn't come after you for back payment.

In any case, your choice of hospital and doctor under that scheme are very limited. I really, really advise you get health insurance.

Hello

Is good enough sorry that I have to move some thoughts, some apparently have about this Golden Card.

You say that I only have been respected because the locals will give me this.

Here I have to correct you, for the local would not even want to give me anything.

It was here I became interested in the matter, and contacted the Health Ministry in Bangkok.

It was they who came up with that.

I had been qualifyed for this card since last year.

It was Bangkok all the way, thelocal say I could not.

So I hope you understand that I can not see, what your approach to the subject has, with what really happened.

Bangkok is they, who have ensured it happened.

Okay I have it now, and you are right that people themselves must provide for their health insurance, but with my age more than 120,000 .- Baht per year, so it is possible to make many meals of this.

I have during the last 5 years devoted myself the same amount in a savings account, with a new knees and two new eyes, I still have other small, operations which my excellent local public hospital may be unable to do.

Maybe you are right in your observation, but I did not have this answer from Bangkok, but from the local office.

I have thegolden card now…. I am happy…

Edited by nakhonsawan

"Now to your other question. AFAIK, farangs by law are entitled to coverage under the Universal Health Scheme only if they have a work permit, in which event they are also paying into the system,..."

I think you might be confusing UHS with Thai Social Security. They are not the same program.

I don't think you 'pay into the system' for UHS.

You do have to pay into the Social Security system, but not everyone working, with work permit, is eligible. A couple of years ago they tossed teachers at private schools out of the system.

You initially need a work permit to get into the system, maybe, but once you're in, you can continue in it even when you stop working. In that case there is a modest 432 baht fee per month.

There are limits on any system like this.

Social Security is limited because private hospitals choose whether they want to be in it, or not.

For UHS, besides hospitals, the government also uses some of their Public Health clinics. Not everyone in this system is assigned a hospital, like in Soc Sec, but they are available to them, if needed.

OP, why don't you go try to use the card and let us know what happens.

Terry

Edited by TerryLH

"Now to your other question. AFAIK, farangs by law are entitled to coverage under the Universal Health Scheme only if they have a work permit, in which event they are also paying into the system,..."

I think you might be confusing UHS with Thai Social Security. They are not the same program.

I don't think you 'pay into the system' for UHS.

You do have to pay into the Social Security system, but not everyone working, with work permit, is eligible. A couple of years ago they tossed teachers at private schools out of the system.

You initially need a work permit to get into the system, maybe, but once you're in, you can continue in it even when you stop working. In that case there is a modest 432 baht fee per month.

There are limits on any system like this.

Social Security is limited because private hospitals choose whether they want to be in it, or not.

For UHS, besides hospitals, the government also uses some of their Public Health clinics. Not everyone in this system is assigned a hospital, like in Soc Sec, but they are available to them, if needed.

OP, why don't you go try to use the card and let us know what happens.

Terry

Terry I will do when I have need for this hospitals...