Laptop Battery. Have To Buy A New One?

appropriate

Missus bought a 2nd hand Acer Aspire One notebook.

3 cell battery life is 13 minutes.

Research says it should be 2.5 - 3 hrs new.

Been quoted 2,000b and 2,500b for a new battery in Fortune Town. Too expensive for what it'll be used for.

I thought I remembered seeing in Panthip Plaza stalls with open battery cells that they can put into the old battery casing? Didn't see any of that in Fortune tonight though.

Is it possible to just buy the cells or do it cheaper than buying a new battery??

Cheers.

I tried that once and when I made the last connection the board in the battery pack let out a smoke signal. It was not due to any incorrect wiring, maybe the batteries needed to be flat.

Cheers. So you bought the cells separately and put the battery together yourself?

I recently bought a new battery for my aged Acer 1691 WLMi from Ebay for £27.99; works a treat.B)

Other 'normal' web based vendors were asking around £80.:ermm:

Also, many vendors on Ebay may be based in or near LOS, so a saving on the postage to boot!

Edited by ElCata

Cheers. It won't be used a lot. Virtually never. Might be worth it if under 1000b.

Power Battery in Pantip Plaza, 4. Floor, Room 413

Replace Cells in Battery and repair Battery's for Notebooks.

Great info thanks. Will head down when I'm in the area.

Any idea of cost for replacing the cells in an average notebook battery?

I tried that once and when I made the last connection the board in the battery pack let out a smoke signal. It was not due to any incorrect wiring, maybe the batteries needed to be flat.

Cheers. So you bought the cells separately and put the battery together yourself?

Yes opened the pack up found what the cells where and bought them on Ebay from HK for about 10% of the price of a pack but it turned out to be a loss.

Each time over the last few years that the battery packs for my two Toshiba laptops either failed to hold a charge very long or just stopped charging one day due to a battery failure, I priced-out replacing the 3.6V, 2200ma individual batteries within each battery pack. One pack uses 6 of these batteries and the other one 12 of these batteries. I never could find any individuals batteries at a price in Thailand or on Ebay that came anywhere close to buying a new battery pack off Ebay...I've always been able to find Toshiba battery packs in the $25-$40 range on Ebay depending on whether I need the 6 battery or 12 battery pack version. I made the mistake once of buying an "OEM equivalent" to the original Toshiba battery pack and it lasted 9 months and just quit working one day (i.e., probably one of the individual batteries opened up). The battery packs that were Toshiba battery packs (whether real or fake...hopefully real) always lasted me over 2 years before they got to a point where they wouldn't hold a charge longer than 30 minutes. I guess you could say I have much, much better reliability and lasting power from OEM battery packs (i.e., made to Toshiba, Dell, quality standards and specifications, etc) versus battery packs identified as "OEM Equivalent" (i.e., will work in your laptop but made to unknown/questionable quality standards and specifications, etc).

Don't get me wrong, generally I don't have an issue with many OEM Equivalent parts, but when it comes to "batteries" my experience has been that an OEM Equivalent battery means a short life span battery. I would strongely recommend against buying any generic battery made in China under a never-heard-of-name since the great majority appear to be low quality and will probably only last 6 to 12 months. Now if it's a great, low cost buy in your opinion and you could buy two or more for the price of a true OEM/brand name battery, then you may want to go for it. Summary: do your best to get a good quality battery.

Edited by Pib