So Who Finds Themselves Being Converted?

newsite12

Okay, I'm back. I should have stayed here all night. One hour in Spicey reminded me why I don't like that place... and especially after 3 AM. Only two fights while I was there, but my sinuses are acting up again... and that was even with a face mask.

Now, where were we? Have we solved the religion problem yet? Has Moonrakers had his visit with Megan Fox yet. I DID give her a call and left a message that he was interested. Sometimes I think I'm too good at being nice to people. But, it DID pay off late this morning. Unfortunately, I'm going to need a nap this afternoon ... again.

I would have gone more but they didn't let lady boys in. Better fights with lady boys. Do they still not let them in?

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a mess the world would be in if there were no religions.

I respect them all.

Atheists make me laugh. :lol:

Quite the reverse. The world is in a mess BECAUSE of religions of any stripe.

I am not an atheist. And Buddhism (particularly that that is practised here) is NOT a 'religion', more a philosophy.

I believe in Right and wrong , I believe in good and bad , is that not religion.

Well, depends on who defines "right" and "wrong" and who decides what is "good" or "bad". You for yourself or the pope, or the rabbi or the ayatollah or the monk in saffron or Jupiter or Wodan?

Who decides how the Earth was made and who created life?

If you can and do decide for yourself, than you have freed yourself from the despotism of religion and you can say like - I don't remember who - : Thank god, I am an atheist.

And while we are quoting, who said: Religion is opium for the people. ? (I believe it was Marx)

But aren't we all atheists to a certain extent? Or do we still believe in gods like Zeus, Apollo, Manitou etc.? No, we have rejected them. So what does that makes us?

If there is a god, he'd be looking down on rather a lot of people and doing major face palms right now.

Nah, he'll be too busy in Africa giving AIDS to babies.:ermm:

Indeed

'When Creationists talk about God creating every individual species as a separate act, they always instance hummingbirds, or orchids, sunflowers and beautiful things.

'But I tend to think instead of a parasitic worm that is boring through the eye of a boy sitting on the bank of a river in West Africa, [a worm] that's going to make him blind.

'And , "Are you telling me that the God you believe in, who you also say is an all- merciful God, who cares for each one of us individually, are you saying that God created this worm that can live in no other way than in an innocent child's eyeball? Because that doesn't seem to me to coincide with a God who's full of mercy."'

- Sir David Attenborough Edited by Moonrakers

I believe in Right and wrong , I believe in good and bad , is that not religion.

Well, depends on who defines "right" and "wrong" and who decides what is "good" or "bad". You for yourself or the pope, or the rabbi or the ayatollah or the monk in saffron or Jupiter or Wodan?

Who decides how the Earth was made and who created life?

If you can and do decide for yourself, than you have freed yourself from the despotism of religion and you can say like - I don't remember who - : Thank god, I am an atheist.

And while we are quoting, who said: Religion is opium for the people. ? (I believe it was Marx)

But aren't we all atheists to a certain extent? Or do we still believe in gods like Zeus, Apollo, Manitou etc.? No, we have rejected them. So what does that makes us?

I agree.

But small side note:

Yes, it was Marx who said religion is opium for the people.

But way back in 1968, I wrote on a wall: marxism is opium for the intellectuals (no, i did not invent that statement....)

And now my nickname is still kropotkin.

If someone can PROVE there is an eternal paradise (of my liking, not some bland place filled with church ladies singing Waspy hymns, don't get me started about what I would like it to be like) and they can prove to me they have the authority to sell me a ticket (and can prove their guarantee of fulfillment), I offer all of my worldly wealth. I know I ask too much.

Edited by Jingthing

'When Creationists talk about God creating every individual species as a separate act, they always instance hummingbirds, or orchids, sunflowers and beautiful things.

'But I tend to think instead of a parasitic worm that is boring through the eye of a boy sitting on the bank of a river in West Africa, [a worm] that's going to make him blind.

'And , "Are you telling me that the God you believe in, who you also say is an all- merciful God, who cares for each one of us individually, are you saying that God created this worm that can live in no other way than in an innocent child's eyeball? Because that doesn't seem to me to coincide with a God who's full of mercy."'

- Sir David Attenborough

If one is in heaven for all eternity, this life will be as a blink of an eye and whatever we have suffered her will seem like nothing - at least that is the theory. :crying:

Don't care a bit about what people do. If it helps them feel better than ok by me.

Actually when I asked my wife about religion she said what she practices is " same Hindu"

I think the temples are nice, certainly look great.

Again. Everynight the wifes does her prayers. I asked what are you praying for.?

She said" I hope everyone has a good life. Nobody gets sick, and everybody in the world eat khao."

Not sure about religion but I thought that was pretty nice.

This must be the most off topic thread ever.

Not that i mind.

Sometimes one needs an antidote against religious poisoning.

But if i understand the OP correctly, he was talking about slowly getting sucked into buddhism - OK OK - about slowly getting into buddhism.

I am ashamed to admit that this happens to me.

f ex: back home, when my sister married, when my brother married, when they had children baptized, i stayed outside the church - i did not go for that outdated nonsense.

But here in thailand, i went to a buddhist ceremony to remember my wife's father.

Why?

"I believe in Right and wrong , I believe in good and bad ," - I'd hate to think what criteria or judgements you use

Theravada Buddhism as practiced in Thailand is in my opinion quite harmful both to those who practice it and the nation as a whole. It is just too full of animism and mumbo jumbo. It reminds be of the superstitious forms of Catholicism in Ireland and some of the more naive beliefs of some Muslims. This kind of religion maintains a superstitious and consequently largely pliant population, that are easily exploited by whoever is in power.

Edited by Deeral

Not that i mind.

But if i understand the OP correctly, he was talking about slowly getting sucked into buddhism - OK OK - about slowly getting into buddhism.

f ex: back home, when my sister married, when my brother married, when they had children baptized, i stayed outside the church - i did not go for that outdated nonsense.

But here in thailand, i went to a buddhist ceremony to remember my wife's father.

Why?

I don't feel bad going in a temple to pay my respects. Does not mean i believe in it i would go in there to pay my respects and support my wife. (her dad died i went there of course).

It would be different if i were involved in the rituals and started to pray or offer the monks things while i am a total non believer.

Not that i mind.

Why?

I don't feel bad going in a temple to pay my respects. Does not mean i believe in it i would go in there to pay my respects and support my wife. (her dad died i went there of course).

It would be different if i were involved in the rituals and started to pray or offer the monks things while i am a total non believer.

I DO feel bad going into a temple, because i give the impression of taking the temple thing seriously.

And you did not offer things to the monks?

That would be difficult!

Did your wife not offer food / money in the name of both of you?

I am not arguing with you, only trying to explain my thinking - and trying to see more clearly myself.

For me the temple is a building.

On occasions when I have gone in to the temple to pay my respects or other reasons, I use the time to say my own prayers in my own way and according to my own beliefs.

Does that make me a hypocrite? If so I don't care. I am trying not to upset those that do believe, while making the most of the occasion as it was meant to be.

Not that i mind.

Why?

I DO feel bad going into a temple, because i give the impression of taking the temple thing seriously.

And you did not offer things to the monks?

That would be difficult!

Did your wife not offer food / money in the name of both of you?

I am not arguing with you, only trying to explain my thinking - and trying to see more clearly myself.

My wife offered things in her name not my name. She was in the temple most days i was just there for 3 out of 6 days. When i was in the temple i was just there. I kept out of the way and never joined the prayers or ceremonies. But i was there when she needed support.

great post Newsite. Religion is what this world is all about. now what gets me is the monks. excuse my ignorance on this matter. but what excatly do they do? I have seen with my own eyes what the poor people give these guys. and i stood in amazement. things that they could have given to them selves. I know they believe that it is Budha that they are giving it to but come on . I do know that ther is dedicated men who have given there life to Budha and this I respect.. but look around your towns /citys.and most of all the Villages. what do you see young men who could otherwise be in some kind of employment.. this brings me to the question . are monks the same as other ministerial members of there churches .ie. priests/ministers of the protestant faith/rabbis/etc.

great post Newsite. Religion is what this world is all about. now what gets me is the monks. excuse my ignorance on this matter. but what excatly do they do? I have seen with my own eyes what the poor people give these guys. and i stood in amazement. things that they could have given to them selves. I know they believe that it is Budha that they are giving it to but come on . I do know that ther is dedicated men who have given there life to Budha and this I respect.. but look around your towns /citys.and most of all the Villages. what do you see young men who could otherwise be in some kind of employment.. this brings me to the question . are monks the same as other ministerial members of there churches .ie. priests/ministers of the protestant faith/rabbis/etc.

Of course they are.

But 1 big difference: in thailand religious bussiness is booming - (not unlike in europe in the 19th century!)

I will start respecting monks when they will give me a loan, to be paid back in our next reincarnation....., now that would prove they believe what they preach.

As for the way of life and respect for sell and others that was taught by Buddha, I believe that is a good way to live you life...

'Respect for self and others'? I think the latter part got lost on the journey somewhere when Buddhism was brought here. :whistling:

So you basically go about bouncing between one religion and another depending on how it suits you at the time!

Are you a Man U fan as well?

No. As I said, I don't feel that any particular religion has all the answers. There is wisdom in many religions.

Indeed

- Sir David Attenborough

All things dull and ugly,

All creatures short and squat,

All things rude and nasty,

The Lord God made the lot.

Each little snake that poisons,

Each little wasp that stings,

He made their brutish venom.

He made their horrid wings.

All things sick and cancerous,

All evil great and small,

All things foul and dangerous,

The Lord God made them all.

Each nasty little hornet,

Each beastly little squid--

Who made the spikey urchin?

Who made the sharks? He did!

All things scabbed and ulcerous,

All pox both great and small,

Putrid, foul and gangrenous,

Amen.

M. Python

Indeed

- Sir David Attenborough

Amen.

M. Python

If i ever follow a prophet, it will be this Mr Python.

Indeed

- Sir David Attenborough

Amen.

M. Python

If i ever follow a prophet, it will be this Mr Python.

Monty Python