Real Food Campaign

tim armstrong

With all the talk about agro-chemical companies taking over the food chain,spraying of Thai crops, the 'chemicalisation' of everything, and the loss of taste in supermarket food, maybe its time for a change. Many will remember the 'real ale' campaign in the UK some time ago. So what about something similar with vegies and other foods. While the organic movement has been good, it hasn't exactly taken over the supermarket shelves.

I don't know how this would work, because we probably can't avoid some pesticides, but finding a 'real' tomato or banana seems to get harder. Properly aged meat has become a delicacy, and even farmed fish seems a bit tasteless.

Thailand hasn't yet been completely taken over,which is the great thing about markets here, but maybe it won't be long until it is? Anyway, thoughts appreciated.

Prime example are Tomatoes. Almost everywhere in the UK all you can buy are Dutch . They are tasteless red balls. If you close your eyes you wouldn't know what you are eating.

Over recent years, to add insult ti injury, the supermarkets want us to pay more money for premium products "grown for flavour". What a rip off.

The trouble is, all producers want three things in a crop, yield, yield and more yield.

• 1 year later...

Does anyone know exactly what the chemical banana smell is in some bananas? it gives me a headache!! I noticed the brand OTENTO uses it.

its a floral banana smell. its obvious to the banana eater that something has been sprayed or added to create this fake smell.