One Bedroom Condos, Under 1M Baht

theoldgit

I read about about some new condos being built in Bangkok, they are about 850,000 Baht, one seperate bedroom but with a total space of 35 square meters for the whole condo.

They say they can reduce the size of the units buy the use of flat tv's and storage space under the bed, but am I alone in thinking they would be too small to live in?

What is the difference between a glorified studio and a 1-bedroom condo unit?

The test - a real 1-bedroom means both bedroom and living area (where the sofa is located) have their own access to natural light and ventilation, either with a window or a balcony with sliding doors.

If not, it is not a 1-bedroom.

I have just re-read the article and I'm afraid I have misinformed members, so much for my memory.

The condos are actually 22.5 sq m and cost 699,000 Baht.

The article says that as you open the door of the condo you enter a small living room where a two-seat compact (cosy?) sofa is on one side and flat screen tv on the other. Next to it is a bedroom with a transparent door (is that Troggers natural light?0 and a bed with storage space underneath and a built in closet.

I suppose they would be ideal for someone working in the area who needs somewhere to crash during the week before returning home at weekends. Whilst I don't think they would be for me, they have sold 63% of the 598 units at a soft launch since end of January, so they must have got it right.

I think they are a little under double the usual British prison cell size of 12 sq m.

Edited by theoldgit

I have just re-read the article and I'm afraid I have misinformed members, so much for my memory.

The condos are actually 22.5 sq m and cost 699,000 Baht.

The article says that as you open the door of the condo you enter a small living room where a two-seat compact (cosy?) sofa is on one side and flat screen tv on the other. Next to it is a bedroom with a transparent door (is that Troggers natural light?0 and a bed with storage space underneath and a built in closet.

I suppose they would be ideal for someone working in the area who needs somewhere to crash during the week before returning home at weekends. Whilst I don't think they would be for me, they have sold 63% of the 598 units at a soft launch since end of January, so they must have got it right.

I think they are a little under double the usual British prison cell size of 12 sq m.

can u enlighten us where these are located or what the name of the project is?

The test - a real 1-bedroom means both bedroom and living area (where the sofa is located) have their own access to natural light and ventilation, either with a window or a balcony with sliding doors.

Sorry to disagree. I have not seen "natural light or ventilation enter into it in any of the markets I have been in.

A 1 bedroom has a seperate bedroom. Seperate from the "living space" like lounge or combined whatever. A studio is commonly described as

having a combined bed/sitting though in some countries is defined by size but these days that is hard to quantify.

In regards the original post: An average mass Thai apartment is approximately 18m2 plus toilet / bathroom and usually small balcony. Totalling in the region of 20 -22m2

though I have seen and been in smaller and slightly larger.

Sorry to disagree. I have not seen "natural light or ventilation enter into it in any of the markets I have been in.

A 1 bedroom has a seperate bedroom. Seperate from the "living space" like lounge or combined whatever. A studio is commonly described as

having a combined bed/sitting though in some countries is defined by size but these days that is hard to quantify.

In regards the original post: An average mass Thai apartment is approximately 18m2 plus toilet / bathroom and usually small balcony. Totalling in the region of 20 -22m2

though I have seen and been in smaller and slightly larger.

This is a 1-bedroom unit >30sqm. Closing the bedroom door will not cut off natural ventilation and light to those sitting on the sofa.

post-77843-0-46066000-1297524315_thumb.g

Here is a glorified studio. Glorified because it is named a 1-bedroom in many marketing brochures, when it is just a studio with a partition a create a space to the front door...lol.

I wonder if you can read the papers while sitting on the sofa during the day, without any artificial lights turned on. I love how the 50" LED TV will be viewed through an opened front door.

post-77843-0-18775600-1297524733_thumb.j

Looking again at the layout of the floors, that is alot of units on each floor, the lifts may be packed all the time with that many people. Just food for thought.

8 Floors, 30 units per floor, possibly two occupants in each unit and only two lifts.

That's one of the reason for the price - its class. The other reason is the location.

I wonder if you can read the papers while sitting on the sofa during the day, without any artificial lights turned on.

Just buy papers which use phosphorescent ink

I love how the 50" LED TV will be viewed through an opened front door.

You can can attach the tv on the front door, or even substitute the whole door with it, which might entitle you to some form of discount when you buy your glorious Studio

Both problems solved.

At least the cost of running the A/C will be low!

How did you arrive at this conclusion?

It's a small space to move around, to make a "bridge" on your next door electricity meter, you just need to extend your arm :whistling:

And why "cats" are not allowed? last sign which puzzled me a bit was in Khao San Rd, Bangkok, "No thai people allowed", written in english and on the front door of the guesthouse....

It was supposed to be a joke, the old saying "not enough room to swing a cat" !!!!