A Problem With Bird Nests

Dean1953

I have a house just outside of Chiang Mai that has sat empty for the last 2 years, while my family has been in the U.S. for the kids education. In the meantime, birds have planted themselves in the gutters, under the tile roof and in the garage. Besides leaving their droppings all over, I'm assuming that they are doing damage to the house. My wife has been in the house for 3 months, cleaning bird crap where she can. I am going over for 2 weeks, starting February 22. My time will be limited, as I also intend to work on the underground sprinkler system and possibly adding another water tank just for it. I've read about bird spikes, that can be used on gutters to keep birds, and can use wire mesh to keep them out of the garage and possibly out of the roof area. Are there any stores in C.M. that would carry these kind of products, or should I bring as much as I can over with me (I doubt if a TSA agent would appreciate it if he stuck his hand inside my luggage and encountered a bird spike)? Can anyone recommend anyone to do the job of making it as hard as possible for the birds to nest? I would like to eventually rent out the place, so having no chirping birds around the clock would be a plus in that regard.

I do have one thought for you, actually. I live where there are some annoying pigeons. Some find them cute, I find them to be pooping balcony sitters. And their cooing always wakes me up. If I knew a place to buy a decoy owl like they use in The States, I'd buy one. I suggest bringing a couple over with the hope that they'd scare away your unwelcomed nesters. I have seen plenty of night owls out here, and do know there are a few other day-predator birds that the owl decoys might mimic closely enough to strike fear in their tiny hearts.

I do have one thought for you, actually. I live where there are some annoying pigeons. Some find them cute, I find them to be pooping balcony sitters. And their cooing always wakes me up. If I knew a place to buy a decoy owl like they use in The States, I'd buy one. I suggest bringing a couple over with the hope that they'd scare away your unwelcomed nesters. I have seen plenty of night owls out here, and do know there are a few other day-predator birds that the owl decoys might mimic closely enough to strike fear in their tiny hearts.

Thanks for the advise. There are a couple on Ebay (one that makes movements and is solar powered) that I might buy on Monday, if they can confirm delivery by the end of the week. If not, I'll check some landscaping businesses in Kansas City for advise on where to buy them. My wife will be at the thai house until April 25, so if the birds get used to the owl, I'll have her go to plan "B," which involves the bird spikes and bird stops where the birds are nesting.