The Obscene Beaches Of Phuket

frozenpuck

Get over it.It's the old 60+ farang men with 20 year old village girls eating at restaurants without a word muttered between them that gives me the creeps.

No conversation, just silence and blank stares.

Let the beach goers get their tans as it's sometimes the main reasons people come here.

I was at Le celtique in rawai last night, lots of people and then comes this 60+ farang with a pirate mustache with his 3/10 bargirl, they dont say a word for 20mins, he looks at everyone nonstop.. then finaly conversation strikes.. between his bargirl and her newly arrived "ladyboy" friend (dressed like a feminin guy, no boobs, not sure how to call it)

Didn't really bother me this time though, if hes too dumb to realize he'd have more fun just by himself dating his lubricated hand, too bad for him :)

You do know that no prude actually thinks they're a prude.

So what if they walk around off the beach with their beach clothes. Phuket is a beach destination.

I agree that they do look stupid, but then, that's their choice.

Simple innit? (Ali G learnt it from me).

So if you're sitting with a family of kids, or even just with friends outside a building. 2 Fatso come next to you and start chain smoking while waiting for the same thing you are. Just stop breathing?

People with disgusting bodies does almost as much harm as smelly second hand smoke OUTSIDE. The smoke i'll forget, the disgusting whales i won't.

Edited by MrMakMak

In a perfect world, the Phuket beaches would only be populated by young, hard bodies that came straight off of Bay Watch (preferably all of them non-smokers).

But, old people do exist and some of them even like going down to the beach.

For all those people who themselves are outraged, or, outraged on behalf of the Thais, why not practice that admirable Thai trait of tolerance?

But it's interesting that so very seldom do you see a Thai woman uncovered, or even in a Bikini.

Should make the wrinklies think about dignity? And maybe the beach hotels should make the point in their info literature in every room.

I'm also amazed at some men you see in Central with no top, That's not a beach!

Or am I just old fashioned and out of touch......don't answer that.

Up in ChiangMai (not near the sea)

It's mostly young men walking around topless, not to mention foreign girls walking around without having their shoulders covered or even worse bra-less.

In Thailand everyone should dress respectably according to the locals.

No respectable Thai girl would wear a bikini, only working girls show their shoulders in public.

As was pointed out on the other thread, It wasn't long ago that most Thai women went topless.

From Wiki:-

"Thai Cultural Mandates issued in 1939 and Western writing[6] prove Thai women would go clothed fully or topless in public before the westernization of dress. In the late 19th century the influence of missionaries and modernization under King Chulalongkorn encouraged local women to wear blouses to cover their breasts. Until the early 20th century, women from northern Thailand wore a long tube-skirt (Pha-Sin), tied high above their waist and below their breasts, which were uncovered".

In a perfect world, the Phuket beaches would only be populated by young, hard bodies that came straight off of Bay Watch (preferably all of them non-smokers).

But, old people do exist and some of them even like going down to the beach.

For all those people who themselves are outraged, or, outraged on behalf of the Thais, why not practice that admirable Thai trait of tolerance?

Ah man, now I'm geting self conscious, you think my slight Goodyear tire over the sides of my boardshorts is adding to the obscenities?

Edited by grumpyoldman

Ah man, now I'm geting self conscious, you think my slight Goodyear tire over the sides of my boardshorts is adding to the obscenities?

I'm the same and I couldn't give a rat's-arse.

Heard a great saying the other day.

When large girls wear jeans that are too tight and are showing midriff, it's called the "muffin" look.

You do know that no prude actually thinks they're a prude.

So what if they walk around off the beach with their beach clothes. Phuket is a beach destination.

I agree that they do look stupid, but then, that's their choice.

Simple innit? (Ali G learnt it from me).

Yes it is their choice weather to follow local customs or not. And when they decide not to, they're making themselves look like bumpkin half wits.

To be prudish means 'to be, or try to be excessively proper'. If you think following local customs, and not upsetting local people is being excessively proper instead of just being normal, then I'm afraid that says a lot about you! :(

why not practice that admirable Thai trait of tolerance?

That's one of the biggest problems. Idiots get away with being idiots in Thailand because of that. like the people I saw on Kao San Rd a while back. They bought some beer from the 7/11 and then plonked themselves down at a table in a bar and started drinking their cans. All the Thai staff just looked at them in amazement, but not one of them could tell them to leave. Had they cought me on a bad day I may have tipped them out of the chairs my self.

People have this wierd notion, that because they're on holiday, they're the boss and anything goes, so instead of being more polite than they normally would at home as I would when abroad (No that doesn't make you a prude) they behave in ways they wouldn't dream of back home, which is the biggest lack of respect and f~ck you to the local people imaginable.

why not practice that admirable Thai trait of tolerance?

That's one of the biggest problems. Idiots get away with being idiots in Thailand because of that. like the people I saw on Kao San Rd a while back. They bought some beer from the 7/11 and then plonked themselves down at a table in a bar and started drinking their cans. All the Thai staff just looked at them in amazement, but not one of them could tell them to leave. Had they cought me on a bad day I may have tipped them out of the chairs my self.

People have this wierd notion, that because they're on holiday, they're the boss and anything goes, so instead of being more polite than they normally would at home as I would when abroad (No that doesn't make you a prude) they behave in ways they wouldn't dream of back home, which is the biggest lack of respect and f~ck you to the local people imaginable.

BTB, when the time comes you need to reinvent and come back with a new nic I think "Pit Bull" would be good. Once you sink your teeth into one of these threads, you leave them in shreds. Hey that rhymes.....

To be prudish means 'to be, or try to be excessively proper'. If you think following local customs, and not upsetting local people is being excessively proper instead of just being normal, then I'm afraid that says a lot about you! :(

Dunno if you understand Thai, or, not, but, I've never heard a single local complain about this issue.

Seems the only complaints are from the the farang prudes on here.

Unless of course, you have proof to the contrary?

BTB, when the time comes you need to reinvent and come back with a new nic I think "Pit Bull" would be good. Once you sink your teeth into one of these threads, you leave them in shreds. Hey that rhymes.....

Funny, I've always had the mental image of a Chihuahua attacking a particularly large bone; but, if you're going to recommend a breed of dog, then I suggest one that has a long, bushy tail so that he can keep on chasing it.

I will have no need to re-invent myself. I have no problems following TV rules close enough to avoid being banned.

May I suggest, that if you consider this me ripping a thread to shreds, then you may be a tad too sensitive for internet forums!

Spoken like a true fat bloke.

You are only going on the defensive so much because you are a self confessed lard arse. Let's face it, how can you be expected to have respect for other people and their ways when you don't even have enough respect for yourself, to stop eating to much?

Anyway, I've never attacked fat people in my posts, just people with no sense of common decency. Which it would seem is a category you fall in to.

Edited by BangTaoBoy

Spoken like a true fat bloke.

You are only going on the defensive so much because you are a self confessed lard arse. Let's face it, how can you be expected to have respect for other people and their ways when you don't even have enough respect for yourself, to stop eating to much?

Anyway, I've never attacked fat people in my posts, just people with no sense of common decency. Which it would seem is a category you fall in to.

I'm not going to bother with your "straw man" re fat people, I'll let you have a batter at it if you want to.

What pisses me off are the people that bang on and on blindly about respecting local customs without actually putting much thought into whether that custom is particularly good, or, bad.

I replied in another thread about this, but, it's worth repeating here.

If we are to respect local customs, then when in the Sahel countries, we must respect the custom of female circumcision.

When in Arab countries we must respect the way women are treated there.

I could give many examples, but, I'm sure you get the point.

Frankly, seeing floppy boobs and ageing flesh is so trivial it doesn't bother me, or, most Thais.

The ironic thing here (yes, I know what it means) is that this "local" custom of covering flesh was introduced by the West in the 19th and 20th century.

If not following a custom is going to cause trouble.....say like not taking your shoes off when going into a mosque, then I always follow them.

As for local customs like "face", it earns my derision and I won't follow it at any price.

I follow my convictions. Do you? Or, do you blindly jump on the "must respect the local customs" bandwagon just to show how "in tune" with the locals you are?

Dunno if you understand Thai, or, not, but, I've never heard a single local complain about this issue.

Unless of course, you have proof to the contrary?

Clearly you have absolutely NO understanding of Thai culture, or language. Or, maybe I'm wrong and you've found yourself standing at a beach venue with some local saying ''Ave a look at THAT! No bloody respec'' LOL

And the word 'prude' is not appropriate to this thread. 'Respect' is.

C'mon ... LOL!

Edited by inmysights

Clearly you have absolutely NO understanding of Thai culture, or language. Or, maybe I'm wrong and you've found yourself standing at a beach venue with some local saying ''Ave a look at THAT! No bloody respec'' LOL

And the word 'prude' is not appropriate to this thread. 'Respect' is.

C'mon ... LOL!

Been in Thailand 30 years plus of which 26 have been in Phuket.

I speak the language and have been married to a local for 13 years.

Oh........and sorry, but anyone over the age of ten that uses "LOL" in their posts gets no respect from me.

Of course, if you are ten, or under, I apologise.

Edited by KarenBravo

Been in Thailand 30 years plus of which 26 have been in Phuket.

I speak the language and have been married to a local for 13 years.

Oh........and sorry, but anyone over the age of ten that uses "LOL" in their posts gets no respect from me.

Of course, if you are ten, or under, I apologise.

And it took you 7 years to find Thai visa? LOL!

@ 'KarenBravo'

What pisses me off are the people that bang on and on blindly about respecting local customs without actually putting much thought into whether that custom is particularly good, or, bad.

In a nut shell, yes. If you travel to someone elses country, then you need to follow their customs weather you agree with them or not. Or at least not do anything to obviously breach them.

If we are to respect local customs, then when in the Sahel countries, we must respect the custom of female circumcision.

When in Arab countries we must respect the way women are treated there.

Again, yes. Once you've traveled to their country, you have to follow their ways, regardless of what you think of them. If you were to travel to those countries you mentioned, knowing how you feel about their customs, then you would be a moron. The same reason I will never travel to any comunist countries, or any of the countries with practices you mentioned earlier.

Frankly, seeing floppy boobs and ageing flesh is so trivial it doesn't bother me, or, most Thais.

No offense mate, but your probably used to it by now, you see it every day in the mirror. As for Thais, I'm not sure your qualified to talk for 'most' Thais.

The ironic thing here (yes, I know what it means) is that this "local" custom of covering flesh was introduced by the West in the 19th and 20th century.

Yeh, and back then, English men went around the world, strutting their stuff arrogantly, as if they owned the place. I guess some things haven't changed that much. Seriously, what on earth has that got to do with the current day and this discussion?

I follow my convictions. Do you? Or, do you blindly jump on the "must respect the local customs" bandwagon just to show how "in tune" with the locals you are?

That's just it. It isn't just to do with local customs. There isn't a place in the world, I would step off the beach and in to a restaurtant or shopping centre or high street without a t-shirt on. Not only is it obviously against the local way of doing things, it's just skanky anyway, anywhere. Like I said in a previous post, at the age of 24 I knew that was a scummy way of behaving, and it had nothing to do with jumping on any bandwagon, that kind of thing is as automatic as holding a door open for someone, or saying please and thank you. Or do you not bother with those quaint customs either?

Karen, besides being clearly very overweight, do you have anything else to add?

Those disgusting animals you call your fellow fat human beings, could simply wear surf style bathing wear? How is that going to hurt them? They'll even be more comfortable than in a speedo that is suposed to be used for ATHLETIC swimming, not to beach whale it up.

edit: very nice post bangtao, there's something called the HUMAN CODE. It doesn't mean volunteering for charities or giving your time, its just doing things that wont change ANYTHING in your life (holding the door, saying thank you, wearing appropriate clothing, taking off your shoes in someone's house etc etc) just to keep the world a pleasant place.

and spot on on the fact that karen is used to seeing fat slobs everywhere as everytime he walks in front of a mirror or by his wife, there is it.. every day.

Edited by MrMakMak

Are yes, I can see you now in the playground, bullying all the fat kids and stealing their dinner money because they were an easy target.

Why stop at fat people? There's plenty of other easy targets for you. Or, do you lack the imagination?

Actually, I bet you were that fat kid in the playground. Does your bigotry come from self-loathing? I think it just might.

Edited by KarenBravo

Are yes, I can see you now in the playground, bullying all the fat kids and stealing their dinner money because they were an easy target.

Why stop at fat people? There's plenty of other easy targets for you. Or, do you lack the imagination?

Actually, I bet you were that fat kid in the playground. Does your bigotry come from self-loathing? I think it just might.

Give over. In a previous post you said words to the effect that you were 'fat and proud' It didn't bother you, is what you said. You can't have it both ways mate.

I made it quite clear I wasn't being unnecessarily rude to over weight people, but how do people expect to be treated respectfully, when they are that fat, and think nothing of wearing the tiniest swimming costumes. I'm not asking people to be ashamed of themselves, just a little common sense with an opropriate way to dress. Even then I gave them the benefit of the doubt when on the beach, and said it was O.K to wear any swim wear they desired. So please don't go down the 'poor fat people, we get bulied road' I suppose you're going to use this as an excuse to go and eat some cakes now, and then blame me when you weigh yourself tomorrow.