Seasonal Air Pollution In Chiangmai

Rasseru

The season of poor quality air is approaching, if I am not mistaken, and I always enjoy reading all the fresh and insightful observations that are made here on the subject, so am posting this as an early reminder, so that everyone out there can start sharpening their pencils and composing their thoughts . . .

I was curious whether the worst days fell on the same or similar dates every year, so I took the AQI data from the Pollution Control Dept. website for Chiang Mai, and charted it from 2005-2010. It's interesting that the AQI drops drastically every year around the 22nd of March--not sure if there's a holiday when people stop burning, or if the rains start that punctually. It seems like the worst of it generally occurs between Mar 10-Mar 30. I remember that period being especially rough last year. Feedback welcomed.

aqi_chiangmai.pdf

I was curious whether the worst days fell on the same or similar dates every year, so I took the AQI data from the Pollution Control Dept. website for Chiang Mai, and charted it from 2005-2010. It's interesting that the AQI drops drastically every year around the 22nd of March--not sure if there's a holiday when people stop burning, or if the rains start that punctually. It seems like the worst of it generally occurs between Mar 10-Mar 30. I remember that period being especially rough last year. Feedback welcomed.

aqi_chiangmai.pdf

This is most likely due to the fact that the only burning going on is rubbish as all else has been burnt already!!

rassaru.

re .. The season of poor quality air is approaching

is it ?

im not getting at you honest ... but.

pic 1 ... taken near mai sai on monday

pic 2 ... taken at the golden triangle on tuesday

pic 3 ... taken at chiang khong on thursday ( but thats laos smoke )

pic 4 ... taken on the way to phayao on thursday

pic 5 ... taken by phayao lake yesterday

no comments needed from me ... just the pictures ... dave2

rassaru.

is it ?

Some people can just not wait to complain.:annoyed: I can still see Doi Suthep from Doi Saket.:D dave2 great photos.:D

rassaru.

is it ?

Yes it is. Thanks for 5 pictures of burning outside the Chiang Mai valley. Much more burning within the valley. At the moment skies are pretty clear here too, apart from Friday & Saturday. Btw, pm10 stats for Friday were 25 to 30% higher than Thursday in CM. A few smoking fires might not look much, but the pollution will build up progressively. Pollution doesn't escape the valley. It's not really started yet. Also, safety threshold levels in EU for pm10 is 50, Thailand chooses 120 so as not to cause alarm.......

mesmith.

no offence but my pics show what has been going on in an area ive been in for the last 8 days untill i got back to chiang mai today

if you have more relevant pictures of burning in chaing mai in the last 8 days ..... please post them

dave2

rassaru.

is it ?

He said is was approaching. Like when it's November, then the Christmas holidays are approaching. It doesn't mean it's here already. :) Today was a very clear day, I know because I sent some frineds to Doi Suthep; good views.

rassaru.

is it ?

Yes it is. Thanks for 5 pictures of burning outside the Chiang Mai valley. Much more burning within the valley. At the moment skies are pretty clear here too, apart from Friday & Saturday. Btw, pm10 stats for Friday were 25 to 30% higher than Thursday in CM. A few smoking fires might not look much, but the pollution will build up progressively. Pollution doesn't escape the valley. It's not really started yet. Also, safety threshold levels in EU for pm10 is 50, Thailand chooses 120 so as not to cause alarm.......

To all,

There is the everyday (usual) smoke emanating from the hills / mountains on the east side of Mae Sa Valley which is most visible at around 4:00pm EVERYDAY of the year. Strangely enough all the military bases are at the bottom of the foothills and the smoke / burning is no more than 500 meters away... go figure (NOT!!!)

Ice is water too. ;)

But seriously, to the whiners: If you plan to be here in March to whine about the air, but then leave Thailand in April then you're doing it wrong.

Personally I'll be away in March, but ensure I return well in time for the biggest party of the year!

Heck WTK, the whiners have to figure this one out.. I agree with you. I also plane on a trip next month and to be back for the worlds largest wet T shirt contest in April.

But seriously, to the whiners: If you plan to be here in March to whine about the air, but then leave Thailand in April then you're doing it wrong.

Are you trying to inspire a winge-about-Songkran thread in February? :o

As a kid I was looking forward to Christmas in October.

As a responsible adult I'm looking forward to Songkran in February. (And probably more so than I ever looked forward to Christmas!)

Reminder: It's only 57 sleeps till Songran!

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Ice is water too. ;)

Personally I'll be away in March, but ensure I return well in time for the biggest party of the year!

WTK,

I'm only a part-time whiner as I'm here for my time off from work - and have been (in CM) for the past 24yrs. - work one month (away), off one month (here) so it's not too bad for me. I do worry about my family's health though. And yes, I've got all the filters going full blast during smoky season.

Ice is water too. ;)

WTK,

I'm only a part-time whiner as I'm here for my time off from work - and have been (in CM) for the past 24yrs. - work one month (away), off one month (here) so it's not too bad for me. I do worry about my family's health though. And yes, I've got all the filters going full blast during smoky season.

!? Take your family with you of course. Or send them to a cleaner place, like Pattaya or Phuket.

Are you trying to inspire a winge-about-Songkran thread in February? :o

As a kid I was looking forward to Christmas in October.

As a responsible adult I'm looking forward to Songkran in February. (And probably more so than I ever looked forward to Christmas!)

Reminder: It's only 57 sleeps till Songran!

COME ON SONGKRAN........:D

Sawasdee Khrup, TV CM Friends,

Looking forward to the appearance on this thread, or another, of the usual interesting and high-quality posts (and friendly debate) from/by our esteemed Khun Priceless and Khun MapGuy ! And the person who used to put up such interesting charts some years ago ... what became of him ?

Subjectively, it does seem to us that the nights, the 5AM to 7AM time particularly, for a February in CM, in the last two weeks, have been cooler than we expected: although when examining the weather stats on TV's service, or WeatherUnderground, really can't see justification for this perception: so perhaps it is just an artifact of our meat package's body fat being so much lower thanks to Soy-Joy :)

best, ~o:37;

It's not particularly cold at night, but also not particularly warmer than seasonal. Still quite nice to sleep without having to turn on the fan.

As for pollution though, I would say it's unseasonably clear. This is mid February right now and the sky is blue, the views clear as a bell. What's going on? We should really be seeing the first signs of haze but..? Are the Burmese farmers slacking?

It's not particularly cold at night, but also not particularly warmer than seasonal. Still quite nice to sleep without having to turn on the fan.

As for pollution though, I would say it's unseasonably clear. This is mid February right now and the sky is blue, the views clear as a bell. What's going on? We should really be seeing the first signs of haze but..? Are the Burmese farmers slacking?

this site provides weekly maps, from NASA satellites, that show fires world wide - just remember that yellow means more/hotter fires.

http://rapidfire.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/firemaps/firemap.2011031-2011040.2048x1024.jpg