Teaching English Here In Chiang Mai

kevbap

Hello all,

Need a little bit of advice again, being new to Chiang Mai, can anyone in the know, tell me about jobs for English Teachers here in Chiang Mai, having only lived here for a few weeks i am a little concerned of the lack of teaching posts advertised!

I was thinking this would be fairly easy to start working as an English teacher seeing all the students here! i at the very least expected to be doing some private tuition, but with local advertising, i have not attracted a single sausage!

I am TEFL certificated, but dont own a degree, even though i taught in Laos for 3 months without any problems! Am i being naive or do i have to move into the countryside (Essan) to start work?

Failing that its back to hospitality again !

Yours Kevin

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Few schools here post their positions on the Internet. You need good lists of schools and you need to visit them. There are lots of jobs and lots of foreign teachers. Right place at the right time and you will find something.

Edited by Loaded

Few schools here post their positions on the Internet. You need good lists of schools and you need to visit them. There are lots of jobs and lots of foreign teachers. Right place at the right time and you will find something.

Sound advice my friend and thanks for that, it is always the things that are obvious that are hardest to see!

Sound advice my friend and thanks for that, it is always the things that are obvious that are hardest to see!

Hey dude its coming to the end of the school year now so there won't be much around until after Songkran.

You will find one, just have to stick at it.

Edited by sbk
sorry no name and shame

TEFL certified but no degree, puts you quite low on the pecking order I'm afraid and if you do get something it will be one of the low paid jobs that most English teachers here have. However, if you have a good personality and can convince schools that your are better than someone with a degree, then you stand a chance.

The 'degree' puts others way higher on the Thai hierarchical ladder, even if you are a great English teacher,

Good luck. smile.gif

TEFL certified but no degree, puts you quite low on the pecking order I'm afraid and if you do get something it will be one of the low paid jobs that most English teachers here have. However, if you have a good personality and can convince schools that your are better than someone with a degree, then you stand a chance.

The 'degree' puts others way higher on the Thai hierarchical ladder, even if you are a great English teacher,

Good luck. smile.gif

If you work 4 hours a day, 5 days a week you can get about 30g a month which is enough to live but not really save.

I taught children and adults from all levels of society (tessaban, private schools, extra tuition) and degrees although are the requirement, the majority of schools will look at your experience and where you come from and what you look like. I had a non imm o visa with a teachers work permit and I don't have a degree

If you work 4 hours a day, 5 days a week you can get about 30g a month which is enough to live but not really save.

I taught children and adults from all levels of society (tessaban, private schools, extra tuition) and degrees although are the requirement, the majority of schools will look at your experience and where you come from and what you look like. I had a non imm o visa with a teachers work permit and I don't have a degree

[/quote)

So, you are saying that non degree TEFL teachers can be looking at 1,500 Baht an hour?

[/quote)

So, you are saying that non degree TEFL teachers can be looking at 1,500 Baht an hour?

I think you may have thought I said 30g per week

Roughly about 300-400 perhour each day is about 1200-1400 a day.

A week thats about 6500 7500g a week.

A month thats around 28000-30000

[/quote)

Most private English schools that pay by the hour in Chiang Mai only offer around 200 to 250 baht per teaching hour, which gives 16000 to 20000 baht for an 80 hour, twenty work days month. Of course most private schools hiring part-time teachers have most of their classes in evenings and on weekends during the regular school year, and it's difficult to predict how many hours you will work. Also, with lesson preparation you will have to do unpaid work preparing to teach, especially when starting out.

I've been told that government schools don't pay much more than this and require the teachers to be at the school all day, and deal with very large classes. International schools pay much better but usually require an education degree or some kind of home country teacher certification.

You can survive teaching English in Chiang Mai, but you're not going to do much more than survive unless you have the education degree other sources of income.

www.ajarn.com occasionallly have listings for teaching jobs in Chiang Mai. As a previous poster said with the school holidays getting ever closer you might find it hard. Dropping into a few of the private schools, with a nicely presented CV, wouldn't do you any harm. Bangkok pays far better, and obviously more jobs, but its life style choice too.Good luck !

The pay will not compensate you enough for your visa/wp hassles. You can't get a license to teach without a degree. You can't tutor without a work permit........

Fake degree holders have served time, even though the schools likely told them to get the fake(or their dirtball agencies).

Hanging out with the armpit crowd in CNX isn't going to help you. You would be much more appreciated elsewhere, especially for the 21K you might make, if all goes well.

Edited by Thighlander

My daughter taught here in Chiang Mai, in 2009/10, at a well known and respected school. She did a TEFL course,here in CM, but had no degree, a fact she didn't try to hide.On successful completion of her course she had a job within one week. The school accepted her and organised her work permit . Her salary was 23,000 b per mth but teaching hours were minimal and she was allowed to leave the school when not required. The schools realise they are not going to get a person with a "real degree" for that sort of salary so obviously a deal has been struck with the Education hierachy.Its a "supply and demand" situation. Many younger people come here and see it as a "working holiday" situation. Not ideal but then neither is the Thai education system. Her classes mostly had 50 young children, some with obvious learning difficulties and on going health problems. This is Thailand ,you have the money to send your kids to International schools they will probably be successful in life, for the others its a very ,very basic education with litle chance of acquiring skills required in todays world.

My daughter taught here in Chiang Mai, in 2009/10, at a well known and respected school. She did a TEFL course,here in CM, but had no degree, a fact she didn't try to hide.On successful completion of her course she had a job within one week. The school accepted her and organised her work permit . Her salary was 23,000 b per mth but teaching hours were minimal and she was allowed to leave the school when not required. The schools realise they are not going to get a person with a "real degree" for that sort of salary so obviously a deal has been struck with the Education hierachy.Its a "supply and demand" situation. Many younger people come here and see it as a "working holiday" situation. Not ideal but then neither is the Thai education system. Her classes mostly had 50 young children, some with obvious learning difficulties and on going health problems. This is Thailand ,you have the money to send your kids to International schools they will probably be successful in life, for the others its a very ,very basic education with litle chance of acquiring skills required in todays world.

That is very good for her but I think this is very rare

Chang Mai is a notoriously difficult place to secure any teaching position, even a university one. :huh:

Apparently (there's that word again) it's full of cash rich, time poor 'retirees', who don't mind teaching for a pittance in a futile attempt to stave off the boredom induced, but inevitable, liver failure. :ermm:

I've also heard that those uni girls look hot in their plaid skirts & are not averse to some 'private tuition'. :lol:

Thank you to everyone who replied to me here, i am sure i will teach here, and money is not my driving factor as i actually enjoy seeing and hearing the kids speaking English! i worked in the very northern parts of Laos which are very poverty stricken and had the most fantastic time teaching, the kids there were so open to learn and very willing!

I charged peanuts and got such great job satisfaction, it was a life changing experience!

Hope to keep you all updated

Again thanks, soo much!

Kevin

Not rare at all in fact the circles she mixed in,fellow teachers,different schools, at least 50% were in the same situation. Do Thai schools think they can attract people with degrees and pay them 20,000 b a month ?not on and they know it so thats why it is possible. I'm not saying its right its just the reality of the situation. Said daughter is now back working in Australia,not teaching obviously, and earning a good salary. She enjoyed her CM experience and like so many other "teachers" who have worked in Thailand has moved on in her life.

Thank you to everyone who replied to me here, i am sure i will teach here, and money is not my driving factor as i actually enjoy seeing and hearing the kids speaking English! i worked in the very northern parts of Laos which are very poverty stricken and had the most fantastic time teaching, the kids there were so open to learn and very willing!

I charged peanuts and got such great job satisfaction, it was a life changing experience!

Hope to keep you all updated

Again thanks, soo much!

Kevin

Good luck to you Kevin, wish there were more like you !

Not rare at all in fact the circles she mixed in,fellow teachers,different schools, at least 50% were in the same situation. Do Thai schools think they can attract people with degrees and pay them 20,000 b a month ?not on and they know it so thats why it is possible. I'm not saying its right its just the reality of the situation. Said daughter is now back working in Australia,not teaching obviously, and earning a good salary. She enjoyed her CM experience and like so many other "teachers" who have worked in Thailand has moved on in her life.

50% of all her teacher colleagues had no degrees and official Thai work permits???

I can see working without a degree under the table, but to not have a degree, have a work permit and have a very flexible job with an understanding Thai management seems far fetched

I am not saying she didnt get all of that but I think her situation is painting a rosier picture then it really is for people without a degree

Its not that hard to attract someone with atleast a degree

Edited by PlanetX

Sparkles: my only problem with your allegorical tale of your daughter is the use of the words well respected and known. If it was a government school which pays the salary that you are talking about then I don't see how you can say well respected. Private colleges like, Dara, Prince Royal, Montfort, Varee do not hire people without degrees.

There is no way that 50% of teachers are degree less in Chiang Mai. That is a very large exaggeration. And promoting or bragging about not having a work permit is pretty stupid. Advocating working illegally isn't proper.

People without degrees can find work, but they are not going to be making 30+. Even people with degrees in Education and certified only make 40-60 at the international schools here. Many of the EP programs only pay 30 and many of those teachers have degrees in education also.

I think that the OP is being optimistic with his chances. (No experience, No qualifications, a 1 month training doesn't amount to much, no degree) The MOE is making it harder for people to get teacher's licenses not easier.

Those without degrees can find some work here, but it is getting harder every year. For a short term temporary option it is doable, but for a long term goal of teaching you really need a degree.

I have no vested interest in relaying anything that was, and is, not true. I said it was a respected school ,it is by the parents, on a wider scale I don't know its ranking.The school has in excess of a thousand students.It is funded by the Government The teacher co ordinator has been there for many years.I did not say that 50% of teachers ,in CM, were without degrees ,only the ones that my daughter mixed with socially.I met most of them and their overwhelming motivation ,for being in CM,was to come here and experience living in an Asian country. None of them were "bragging" about not having a degree,that is your read on it. If you like to do some research through www.ajarn.com or similar web sites you will find that the educational background and the quality of SOME teachers in Thailand leaves a lot to be desired. As I posted earlier if Thailand is not prepared to pay salaries commensurate with people experience this situation will continue

[/quote)

I could be wrong but it was my understanding that a good teacher put in a number of hours per day at home doing prep work.

I have no vested interest in relaying anything that was, and is, not true. I said it was a respected school ,it is by the parents, on a wider scale I don't know its ranking.The school has in excess of a thousand students.It is funded by the Government The teacher co ordinator has been there for many years.I did not say that 50% of teachers ,in CM, were without degrees ,only the ones that my daughter mixed with socially.I met most of them and their overwhelming motivation ,for being in CM,was to come here and experience living in an Asian country. None of them were "bragging" about not having a degree,that is your read on it. If you like to do some research through www.ajarn.com or similar web sites you will find that the educational background and the quality of SOME teachers in Thailand leaves a lot to be desired. As I posted earlier if Thailand is not prepared to pay salaries commensurate with people experience this situation will continue

Well said. As you well know some posts get edited to suit the readers wishes. (I do it all the time):(

The one thing I was curious about was her friends. Were many of them as your daughter just doing it as a temporary thing. While having many Thai experiences before moving on in there lives?

I could be wrong but it was my understanding that a good teacher put in a number of hours per day at home doing prep work.

During my PGCE placement, It took me 2+ hours to plan for every hour of teaching practice. Linking learning objectives to assessment methods, promoting inclusive practice & setting appropriate differentiation (not calculus) tailored to each class, were some of the least challenging tasks. I was keen, green & lean on resources back then.

Hourly pay for agency teachers in the UK is £27, which explicitly includes 0.5 hours prep & nervous breakdown time.:blink:

Lesson planning in LOS seems to consist of turning up to class sober & wiping last night's stains from your tie.:ermm:

Edited by ELCata

During my PGCE placement, It took me 2+ hours to plan for every hour of teaching practice. Linking learning objectives to assessment methods, promoting inclusive practice & setting appropriate differentiation (not calculus) tailored to each class, were some of the least challenging tasks. I was keen, green & lean on resources back then.

Hourly pay for agency teachers in the UK is £27, which explicitly includes 0.5 hours prep & nervous breakdown time.:blink:

Lesson planning in LOS seems to consist of turning up to class sober & wiping last night's stains from your tie.:ermm:

Do you have to wear a tie in CM when teaching?cool.gif

.....Hanging out with the armpit crowd in CNX isn't going to help you. You would be much more appreciated elsewhere, especially for the 21K you might make, if all goes well.

TL, in two different topics now I have seen you refer to the 'armpit crowd' and have no clue as to what the demographic is that you're talking about. Could you please enlighten us who these armpit people are ? DO you mean hippies ? Those who live cheaply ? Those with arms that attach to the shoulder ? (for I am one of those !)

And to the OP, yes, as with finding good housing here, do like Loaded has suggested, and do some footwork. Nothing beats walking in, properly presented and meeting the right people. That's really the best way for things to happen here.

And for the avg working teacher absent of either a degree or TEFL, the avg money's gonna be under 30K, almost guaranteed. Twenty - 25k/mo is more like it. It's livable, but hard to get ahead with or afford trips home or elsewhere.

Apparently (there's that word again) it's full of cash rich, time poor 'retirees', who don't mind teaching for a pittance in a futile attempt to stave off the boredom induced, but inevitable, liver failure. :ermm:

Yeah, it's terrible, old people staying employed and useful. Think of the example they're setting for the young!