Passengers In Vans In Thailand To Be Required To Wear Seatbelts

webfact

Van passengers to be required to fasten seatbelts

BANGKOK, 15 February 2011 (NNT) – The Transport Ministry is planning to issue a law requiring public van passengers to fasten seatbelts for their own safety.

Deputy Director General of the Transport Ministry’s Department of Land Transport Atsathai Rattanadilok Na Phuket stated that transport service providers and public van drivers had been instructed to seek cooperation from passengers in wearing safety belts while on the road. After such regulation has been adopted, there is a tendency for it to be made into a law with an aim to lower road casualties in the country.

Relevant officers were dispatched to checkpoints on highways during 27-28 January and 1-3 February to examine the safety level of public transport services being provided. 1,755 vehicles were pulled over, 209 of them or 11.9 percent were found to have violated the law. The most common breach was the modification of vehicles by adding extra seats, followed by the drivers’ failure to carry their licenses, no specifications on the routes and the fares and utilization of vehicles with red or black license plates.

Mr Atsathai insisted that the Transport Ministry would continue the inspection of public vehicles periodically to ensure maximum safety for passengers while the alcohol level of drivers must be zero.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2011-02-15 footer_n.gif

ok,passengers in vans are required to wear seat belts --will seat belts be available in the vans??? I take the public transport bus from Pattaya to Bangkok about 2-3 times a month (very easy to take and comfortable by the way) but I never see a seat belt available to buckle up with.

ok,passengers in vans are required to wear seat belts --will seat belts be available in the vans??? I take the public transport bus from Pattaya to Bangkok about 2-3 times a month (very easy to take and comfortable by the way) but I never see a seat belt available to buckle up with.

probably not :-)

first of all they need to start to

1) ensure cars/vans ect are MOT'd to esure they are road legal

2) nsure that they bring in a test to drive which is eqvilent to the uk or simlar

3) enforce the law !!! not just little fines, but points and driving bans !

Whomever is writing the English version of this for the National News Bureau needs to go back to English writing school.... The writing of the report makes absolutely no sense...

"The Transport Ministry is planning to issue a law"

(I'd assume only Parliament can make a "law", but the Transport Ministry probably can adopt or propose a regulation, though the report doesn't explain any of that)

"After such regulation has been adopted, there is a tendency for it to be made into a law"

(Regulation by the Ministry? Adopted by whom? Law later by the Parliament? There is a "tendency" for it to become a law?)

"Relevant officers were dispatched"

(as opposed to "irrelevant" officers, which probably was more likely the case)

"1,755 vehicles were pulled over, 209 of them or 11.9 percent were found to have violated the law."

(the law not being the one re seat belts that hasn't been adopted yet that is the actual subject of the article, but presumably other traffic laws in general)

When I read this kind of junk, it's like hearing finger nails scraping on the classroom blackboard... :(

first of all they need to start to

1) ensure cars/vans ect are MOT'd to esure they are road legal

2) nsure that they bring in a test to drive which is eqvilent to the uk or simlar

3) enforce the law !!! not just little fines, but points and driving bans !

4 ) And preferably the the driver had enough sleep the night before :blink:

Again.... another law..... congratulations,... pats on backs.... job well done...... problem solved?

Far from it......this place is a joke. You can make up all the Mickey Mouse laws you like and they will be just that .... Unless they are ENFORCED!

It's not more laws Thailand needs, it's more policing.

Van passengers to be required to fasten seatbelts

According to the article there doesn't appear to be any law that has passed yet. And what good are seat belts if they themselves or the seats they are in are not properly installed?

Last thing anyone wants is even more rules.

Agree in terms of of rules .... but passenger vans and public transportations should have seat belts and allow the passenger the chance to use common sense of buckling up. I would also believe it would be Okay for insurance carriers as well as governments who pay for individuals medical coverage to require the use of seat belts. What is often worse than "more rules" is to having to pay for higher insurance rates and/or higher taxes because people don't use common sense or were not afforded the option to be safe such as while traveling to school / work or elsewhere.

Edited by Nisa

No-one congratulating the ministry on their novel approach? ;)

Isn't it going to be hard to load and unload people every 6 1/2 minutes with everyone wearing seatbelts? And won't it be hard to enforce this proposal? Also, who's going to pay to install these seatbelts? Will the folding seats at the end next to the door need them as well? What about the two women and a lady boy crammed against the driver and the gear shifter?

I find that the best remedy for an intoxicated driver is to bring along a few cans and become intoxicated yourself. It really helps the nerves.

Besides, even if they did install seat belts parents would want them removed because they "encourage a feel of invincible" or something like that with the condom machines!

Pick Up Trucks......this is a MUST SEE Video; it's only 1+ minute....

Actually someone ever sent it to me as if it happened in Thailand but it was not; it happened in Guatemala but the circumstances could be exactly the same as in Thailand...

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=TSgDF7v6zcs

LaoPo

Pick Up Trucks......this is a MUST SEE Video; it's only 1+ minute....

Actually someone ever sent it to me as if it happened in Thailand but it was not; it happened in Guatemala but the circumstances could be exactly the same as in Thailand...

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=TSgDF7v6zcs

Agree about the dangerous of riding in the back of a pick-up but I question the authenticity of this video. It certainly looks VERY real but it is the new "in thing" to make these types of videos on youtube. If they get viewed enough YouTube actually pays the poster for advertising. Something just seems odd the way the cameraman appeared interested in the truck well before any sign of the accident as well as his steady camera work as this accident played out a couple meters in front of him. Also thought it odd the one guy in the yellow shirt slides across the pavement on his face and then is one of the ones who gets up immediately after the accident. Something we can only speculate but also have to wonder why the driver of the truck appeared to want to make the truck flip. It really does look real (but so do Hollywood movies) and it very well may be but something just seems fishy given the camera work.

Agree in terms of of rules .... but passenger vans and public transportations should have seat belts and allow the passenger the chance to use common sense of buckling up. I would also believe it would be Okay for insurance carriers as well as governments who pay for individuals medical coverage to require the use of seat belts. What is often worse than "more rules" is to having to pay for higher insurance rates and/or higher taxes because people don't use common sense or were not afforded the option to be safe such as while traveling to school / work or elsewhere.

Yes it must be a pain to have to pay higher insurance rates "because people don't use common sense or were not afforded the the option to be safe such as while travelling to school" (or from a university for instance). Of course you could always get around the rules and drive without insurance as in a certain case involving a honda civic driver and a minibus around the end of December 2010.

Yes it must be a pain to have to pay higher insurance rates "because people don't use common sense or were not afforded the the option to be safe such as while travelling to school" (or from a university for instance). Of course you could always get around the rules and drive without insurance as in a certain case involving a honda civic driver and a minibus around the end of December 2010.

Certainly if ALL victims were paid damage directly by the responsible party (as is the case in your off topic comments) then insurance would not be needed and healthcare costs would not go up as much. Common sense should tell us that no matter how well we drive we cannot count on other drivers to do the same. So wearing seat belts is common sense regardless if it is to protect against a 16 year old unlicensed Thai girl or a 60 year old drunk farang.

Edited by Nisa

The same as with any law introduced in Thailand. It just gives the BIB more room to collect tea money.

It is great bringing in these new laws?. But first they need to make sure that they are going to be policed correctly.

jb1

if u want beach and girls u r right in thailand

if u want law enforcement better go somewhere else :) ...might be colder there ;)

The same as with any law introduced in Thailand. It just gives the BIB more room to collect tea money.

It is great bringing in these new laws?. But first they need to make sure that they are going to be policed correctly.

jb1

From an enforcement stand point it doesn't really matter who the offender pays ... the bottom line is they are being made aware of the problem.

Besides, somebody has got to pay the police since the government barely does. dry.gif

Just wondering what happened with that girl that killed 9 people????

i have not heard from that story for weeks now... is she still relaxing to recover from her breakdown?

nothing done right? not even 1 hour in jail....

any news anyone?

Edited by dudopode

I'll agree with the seat belts should be provided for those who wish to use them.

Not so much on the enforcement for those who don't.

I understand your position though.

What about private cars? What about talking on the phone while driving? What about stopping at red lights...blah, blah, blah.

9 lives need to be wasted before they consider those.....

More than that. There were like two other horrific accidents in the weeks before that one. One where a van went of the elevated expressway and another where the driver plowed into a concrete barrier. These van accident with numerous deaths are/were becoming very common. I think a couple weeks before the 9 died there was an accident were 8 of 11 passengers died. However, I think it was the fact that, for at least the most part, that the 9 that died were thrown from the vehicle.

It is not just a matter seat belts though ... they really need to have more training and standards for those hired to transport people for pay.

i have not heard from that story for weeks now... is she still relaxing to recover from her breakdown?

any news anyone?

D'uh...she will marry a HiSo prince and live in blissful ignorance in a glitzy mansion with lots of maids (add driver too!), whilst husband will pursue predetermined career and/or a mistress or two along the way. And all this brouhaha over a silly accident will be a small part of her otherwise "perfect" life of shopping, dinner galas, the odd appearance in Thailand Tatler and luxurious holidays abroad. Thank god Daddy's got cash and the right surname!

any news anyone?

Nothing new to report ... not like she was in another accident or the Thai juvenile.system gives press statements on minors or works at some incredibly speed in disposing of cases. Last I heard she was being required to go through a mental evaluation before being actually indicted sometime this month (I think this was in the BKK post). The other most recent news appears to be ... http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2011/01/11/national/Van-crash-girl-released-without-bail-30146096.html which kind of give you an idea of what fate likely awaits her.

I'll agree with the seat belts should be provided for those who wish to use them.

Not so much on the enforcement for those who don't.

I understand your position though.

And I too am against forcing people to do anything where they are not endangering or potentially harming others. But there also seems to be something wrong where say a rider of a motorbike who wears a helmet and one who doesn't pays the same insurance rate. At the very minimum the driver without a helmet should have to repay the insurance company for any injuries to the head that likely wouldn't have occurred if he obeyed the law. Problem with things like this is that the insurance company would abuse such power. So, in a country like Thailand were medical coverage is guaranteed then I believe they have a right to pass laws on helmets and seat belts for this without insurance and those with insurance should also provide an Insurance ID card to police showing their insurance company is aware they drive without helmet and/or seat belt to protect others from paying hiring premiums. But there is a problem with this because the insurance rates would be unaffordable for such policies since no insurance company would want to insure such a person ... here in lies the problem of needing to enforce/create laws regarding things that should be common sense.