13 Girls Rescued From Prostitution After Raid On Karaoke Bar In Chiang Mai's Muang District

webfact

13 girls rescued after raid on karaoke bar

By Kwandao Jitpana,

Pakamard Jaichalard

The Nation

med_gallery_327_1086_17624.jpg

Provincial Police Region 5 officers joined forces with anti-human trafficking organisations to raid a karaoke bar in Chiang Mai's Muang district yesterday and rescue 13 female workers, including three girls aged under 18.

Together with the Anti-Trafficking Coordination Unit Northern Thailand (Trafcord) and the Counter Human Trafficking Unit (CTU), police raided the "Mida" karaoke bar in Tambon Chang Pheuk at 12.30am and arrested bar manager and cashier Peerapat Mayer, 29, and three associates, Apha Thakhamma, 22, Songpong Mayer, 20, and Narongrit Chaiyawan, 38.

They also seized as evidence the bar's two account books, Bt2,500 in cash used in the police sting operation, another Bt3,760 in cash, one plastic coin worth Bt200 for a sex worker to trade for payment from the bar, and three motorcycles used to deliver the sex workers.

The four were charged with procuring sexual services, living on income from prostitution, and human trafficking and sent to the Chang Pheuk police station. The police raid followed reports that the bar, although having women over 18 as drinking company for guests, also offered sex services by underage girls at Bt800-Bt2,500 per time.

After an undercover official agreed to buy their services, he was told to wait at a nearby motel, where the four suspects brought some hilltribe girls aged 13-15. The police team then presented themselves and arrested the suspects. After searching a dorm and the bar, police took into custody 13 alleged sex workers, including the three girls aged under 18.

Police claim that initial investigations found the girls had been bought from their relatives in Chiang Rai's Mae Sai district and detained for prostitution in Chiang Mai.

Culture Ministry Inspector-General Preecha Kanthiya said many karaoke bars used legal loopholes and redundancy between the Culture Ministry's Film and Video Act 2008 and the Interior Ministry's Places of Service Act 1966 regarding karaoke bar licences.

He explained that if application was made to the Culture Ministry, the bar must not have prostitutes and alcoholic drinks - while those offering girls and drinks must apply to the much-stricter Interior Ministry. Preecha said there were 548 Bangkok karaoke bars and 6,674 bars upcountry holding licences from the Culture Ministry. He said at least 3,000 bars reportedly violated licence regulations and laws.

Preecha said some bars threatened to sue officials refusing to grant them licences. He said the Culture Ministry's licence issuing must be stricter - with follow-up checking to revoke law-violators' licences and fine them up to Bt200,000 in court.

Preecha also said discussion was needed on cutting licence applications from the Film and Video Act 2008, so that all karaoke bars could apply only to the Interior Ministry.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-02-17

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was mentioned in the other thread that foreigners are not exposed to this type of lifestyle.

Have you ever been to Vegas, Los Angeles, Amsterdam, Frankfurt's Redlight district, or The Wall in Nuremberg? I'm sure there are a lot more.

I doubt Thailand invented this industry.

It was mentioned in the other thread that foreigners are not exposed to this type of lifestyle.

Have you ever been to Vegas, Los Angeles, Amsterdam, Frankfurt's Redlight district, or The Wall in Nuremberg? I'm sure there are a lot more.

AND the first kneejerk Thai prostitution apologist 'ooooh, it happens everywhere'. Yes, but an ENTIRE country isn't famous/infamous for it. I'm sure no one titters when someone mentions they will be holidaying in any of the other countries you mention.

Stop being so predictable. Yawn.

By the way, WHY this bar? Didn't cough up the nam cha then?

I was told that it got big with Vietnam war and the US GIs.

Don't know if it is true or just another "the farangs brought all the ugly things".

I was told that it got big with Vietnam war and the US GIs.

Don't know if it is true or just another "the farangs brought all the ugly things".

Thailand had it long before people from the West ever came here. Just look at how common it is to have a mia noi or gik. Its always nice to deny the bad parts of your own history and blame foreigners. Most clients of prostitutes are Thai males not foreigners.

How is this even news worthy? I was just on Koh Samui for a month. My classmates and I went out on different occasions to Lamai and Chawang for drinks. In Lamai there is a central square of bars around a Thai boxing ring. On any given night there are perhaps 100 girls (and ladyboys), give or take, working at these bars. All of them dressed like hookers and dancing on the poles installed in each tiny open air establishment. Many were open and fairly brazen about what they were there for. I decided to do my own research and bought a drink for the 20ish looking waitress who had been serving us a drinks and said I wanted her to join me for a while. She spoke fairly good English. She went into sales mode instantly but I calmed her anticipated action and said I want to talk for a while first. She was actually 30 and has a 12 year old son and 8 year old daughter back home in Isaan. She had been on Samui for 6 months already and claimed she was saving to go home. (Grain of salt taken) I asked how much to spend the night with her. 300 baht to the bar and 1000 baht to her. I asked how many other girls do I have to choose from. "Any one you see" was the answer. I asked how many were local girls. "Not many" was the answer. I estimate, from what I saw, that besides these 100 or so in this square, there were maybe another 200 in Lamai and the club scene in Chawang having at least that many as well. Point being, how is a bust on one tiny club involving a whopping 13 girls even worth talking about? And as we all know, this does not even represent a real bust. Perhaps the proprietors missed a payment to the local cops or to the local mafia. At any rate, there are thousands of girls across Thailand selling their wares on a daily basis without even feigning discretion due to fear of being caught let alone needing to be "freed" from their "captors". Although many girls would prefer not to be doing this kind of "work", they are certainly not being forced into it. It is relatively easy money and easy to get into. Sympathy? Sympathetic about the whole situation, but these girls are making their own choices.

Edited by Rimmer
Font

True. Thailand neither invented prostitution, nor karaoke bars. Then again, I doubt that you'll find 13-year old prostitutes (this fact perhaps even being known by some government officials) in Amsterdam, Frankfurt or the US. Nor will parents in those places sell their teenage daughters to brothels.

Edited by 007

True. Thailand neither invented prostitution, nor karaoke bars. Then again, I doubt that you'll find 13-year old prostitutes (this fact perhaps even being known by some government officials) in Amsterdam, Frankfurt or the US. Nor will parents in those places sell their teenage daughters to brothels.

You cant be so naive or self-righteous about western culture to make a statement that there are no 13 year old prostitutes in America or any other western society. Where there is demand there will always be supply. As for selling one's child into this industry, I think it is more the immigrant families from the surrounding countries - Cambodia, Burma, Vietnam, Laos - who are guilty of such things. They all boast large numbers of offspring in comparison and can afford to "lose" one or two along the way. We have vermin like that in the USA as well, just not in such great numbers. The same problems exist in the west, it's just that prostitution in general is not allowed as much as in Thailand due to the reduced levels or corruption. Of course, corruption is how any brothel stays open anywhere that has illegalized prostitution, there just is not the same level of corruption in our society. Here is Maesot, there are 4 "karaoke" bars, known for what they represent, using mostly Myanmar girls, also allowed to operate by the powers that be. The community here is, however, much more conservative and not set up to cater to western tourists, so there are only those 4. Still, there ARE 4.

How is this even news worthy? I was just on Koh Samui for a month. My classmates and I went out on different occasions to Lamai and Chawang for drinks. In Lamai there is a central square of bars around a Thai boxing ring. On any given night there are perhaps 100 girls (and ladyboys), give or take, working at these bars. All of them dressed like hookers and dancing on the poles installed in each tiny open air establishment. Many were open and fairly brazen about what they were there for. I decided to do my own research and bought a drink for the 20ish looking waitress who had been serving us a drinks and said I wanted her to join me for a while. She spoke fairly good English. She went into sales mode instantly but I calmed her anticipated action and said I want to talk for a while first. She was actually 30 and has a 12 year old son and 8 year old daughter back home in Isaan. She had been on Samui for 6 months already and claimed she was saving to go home. (Grain of salt taken) I asked how much to spend the night with her. 300 baht to the bar and 1000 baht to her. I asked how many other girls do I have to choose from. "Any one you see" was the answer. I asked how many were local girls. "Not many" was the answer. I estimate, from what I saw, that besides these 100 or so in this square, there were maybe another 200 in Lamai and the club scene in Chawang having at least that many as well. Point being, how is a bust on one tiny club involving a whopping 13 girls even worth talking about? And as we all know, this does not even represent a real bust. Perhaps the proprietors missed a payment to the local cops or to the local mafia. At any rate, there are thousands of girls across Thailand selling their wares on a daily basis without even feigning discretion due to fear of being caught let alone needing to be "freed" from their "captors". Although many girls would prefer not to be doing this kind of "work", they are certainly not being forced into it. It is relatively easy money and easy to get into. Sympathy? Sympathetic about the whole situation, but these girls are making their own choices.

You seem to have completely missed the point of the story. This bar was not raided because they were provided sexual services, but because they were provided sexual services with underage girls. Buying sex with a thirteen year old who have been sold to the bar by her relatives is hardly the same as paying a thirty year old who is doing it voluntarily (as in your own example).

I have no problem with saex for sale between consenting adults, but I cannot see how anyone can think that coming down on human trafficing and bars/brothels with underage girls is not a god thing. Sure, the police may have alteria motives for selecting this particular bar, but whatever the reason it is still a good thing when something is done.

Sophon

You seem to have completely missed the point of the story. This bar was not raided because they were provided sexual services, but because they were provided sexual services with underage girls. Buying sex with a thirteen year old who have been sold to the bar by her relatives is hardly the same as paying a thirty year old who is doing it voluntarily (as in your own example).

I have no problem with saex for sale between consenting adults, but I cannot see how anyone can think that coming down on human trafficing and bars/brothels with underage girls is not a god thing. Sure, the police may have alteria motives for selecting this particular bar, but whatever the reason it is still a good thing when something is done.

Sophon

Point taken, my friend. I did not do a survey to see how many of the girls in Lamai were of legal age, but it would stand to reason that any brothel is going to have some "illegal" prostitutes working there. Like I said, where there is demand, there will always be supply. And do you really think the girl you choose is going to tell you that she's really only 15 even though she looks 21? Asian women look both younger or more mature than they really are. And will you even bother to ask that question of yourself after you've had a belly full of libations and now are ready to finish the night off with a bang? THAT, my friend, is where the problem lies. Show me a brothel, I'll show you unscrupulous people. Same end result: human beings reduced to meat on display. By the way, 13 here should really not be as shocking as we like to sensationalize it in the west. Girls here have been losing their virginity by way of arranged marriages or marriages in general at the tender age of 13 for longer than our society in America has existed. And most of those "marriages" are really abusive shams as well ending up with unwanted children of a drunken and unemployed Thai father making life for that little 13 year old a living hell. Whats worse? Horse a piece I'd say.

Edited by 61guitarman61

Sympathy? Sympathetic about the whole situation, but these girls are making their own choices.

I hear what you are saying and not sure "sympathy" would be the right word on an individual basis but I certainly don't look down on the girls and like you am sympathetic to the whole situation. Females in general don't have a lot of opportunity in Thailand, especially ones born more than a decade or two ago. There is no real sex education in this country and girls get pregnant by men who have no obligation to contribute to the child's welfare. Then on top of it you have a society that puts the male above the females in the family but it is the female and not the male who is not only expected to assure financial responsibility for their child but also for their aging parents. We all have choices but these girls have few and again am not sure it is sympathy but I do feel some kind of empathy for them.

Edited by Nisa

How is this even news worthy?

Point being, how is a bust on one tiny club involving a whopping 13 girls even worth talking about? And as we all know, this does not even represent a real bust. Perhaps the proprietors missed a payment to the local cops or to the local mafia.

You seem to have completely missed the point of the story. This bar was not raided because they were provided sexual services, but because they were provided sexual services with underage girls.

Sorry, but the point is not about under-age sex. That happens in Thai families all the time.

The point is that a payment was missed. That doesn't happen all the time.

Sympathy? Sympathetic about the whole situation, but these girls are making their own choices.

I hear what you are saying and not sure "sympathy" would be the right word on an individual basis but I certainly don't look down on the girls and like you am sympathetic to the whole situation. Females in general don't have a lot of opportunity in Thailand, especially ones born more than a decade or two ago. There is no real sex education in this country and girls get pregnant by men who have no obligation to contribute to the child's welfare. Then on top of it you have a society that puts the male above the females in the family but it is the female and not the male who is not only expected to assure financial responsibility for their child but also for their aging parents. We all have choices but these girls have few and again am not sure it is sympathy but I do feel some kind of empathy for them.

Well said.

I like your style. whistling.gif

Hmmm I can guarantee you can get a 13yr old in the USA. Not sure about the other places. I don't think they buy girls as much as they capture them.

Edited by mstribling

Hmmm I can guarantee you can get a 13yr old in the USA. Not sure about the other places. I don't think they buy girls as much as they capture them.

Agree. I am guessing it might be easier here but I personally have never seen underage girls working out in the open here either ... at least not in BKK at places like Nana and Cowboy. Didn't check IDs but generally Thais look considerably younger than they are ... not older.

Agree. I am guessing it might be easier here but I personally have never seen underage girls working out in the open here either ... at least not in BKK at places like Nana and Cowboy. Didn't check IDs but generally Thais look considerably younger than they are ... not older.

Hmm.... I personally watched my girlfriend's 14 year old niece, who lives in BKK,(not that it makes a difference) turn from 14 to 21 in about 10 minutes. Makeup, hair, clothes and hip swivelling walk. Innocent as a baby into street walker. You'd never guess and especially if you were intoxicated and not seeing stright in the first place. Which leads me back to the issue of, after a few hours of drinking, will you care if she really is 21 or only LOOKS 21? If you ask of course she'll tell you she's of age.

Hmm.... I personally watched my girlfriend's 14 year old niece, who lives in BKK,(not that it makes a difference) turn from 14 to 21 in about 10 minutes. Makeup, hair, clothes and hip swivelling walk. Innocent as a baby into street walker. You'd never guess and especially if you were intoxicated and not seeing stright in the first place. Which leads me back to the issue of, after a few hours of drinking, will you care if she really is 21 or only LOOKS 21? If you ask of course she'll tell you she's of age.

No doubt there are many girls walking the streets in the US who are underage and present themselves as older too. I guess I was thinking in terms more of people knowingly wanting an underage girl and it kind of being self defeating if the girl (or pimp/abuser ) made herself appear older in that case.

Edited by Nisa

It is news worthy because the police etc. are seen to be doing something about the problem, window dressing, nothing more.

Looks like someone missed a monthly payment...

So an example was made.

Culture ministry and girlie bars...

why don't those two phrases seem to fit together?

and this... Preecha said there were 548 Bangkok karaoke bars and 6,674 bars upcountry holding licences from the Culture Ministry. He said at least 3,000 bars reportedly violated licence regulations and laws.

So they busted one bar! Big deal... yes, an example. Pay the food chain or get shut down. What a joke

What on earth are you talking about, anyway? Are you saying you have exposed the prostitution industry in Thailand? Did you just get off the boat? Are you telling us anything the world does not already know? Are you saying you were unaware of the sex industry in thailand, and you are shocked out how open it is? A friend of mine who runs an HIV foundation in Bangkok, says she has proof that the number of women per capita involved in the sex industry is significantly higher in the US, than in Thailand. The only difference being that it is far more honest, and open here in thailand, and it is nearly entirely underground (with the exception of strip bars, and the porn industry) in the US. People have no idea how many millions of women are involved in the US, as the massage business, the escort business, the chiropractic office brothels, etc, etc, are all done in secret. You are telling us nothing. You are revealing absolutely nothing to the world. Maintain your naivety in secret, please.

So they did not pay off the police. There is no undercover work needed to close all the bars of they want to enforce the rules on prostitution. THe police could immediately close all of the schools too. Nobody is rescued here, at the very best the girls are screwed because they have to pay a fine and because they lack opportunities they have to get back in the game. It is all window dressing.

The government doesn't know how to manage it's human resources. Education is the key. No money to go to school? well, build more 'free' schools and teach people how to farm. Develop ways that allow each individual to earn better money than spreading their legs for it. Impose higher penalties for these illegal sex traders. Every country has sex traders but each one must be her own boss. Community has to control these sex traders ensuring maximum safety and issueing certification. That way not just any girl can go into this trade.