Several foreigners feared dead after tour boat sinks in Vietnam

News_Editor

Several foreigners feared dead after tour boat sinks in Vietnam

2011-02-17 13:14:54 GMT+7 (ICT)

QUANG NINH, VIETNAM (BNO NEWS) -- A Vietnamese tour boat has sunk off the country's coast, carrying several foreigner who remain missing, local media reported Thursday.

According to Vietnam News, at least 10 foreign passengers - from Russia, Britain, Denmark, Germany, Italy, America, Japan, France, Switzerland and Sweden - are missing after the tourist ship sank off Ti Top Island in the country's Ha Long Bay, which is located around 200 kilometers (124 miles) northeast of Hanoi.

The QN 5198 ship named Truong Hai left Bai Chay Port Wednesday afternoon.

Rescue teams have saved a number of tourists and crew members, but as they continue their efforts, other reports from international media have reported 5 to 12 dead.

After the incident, initial investigations indicate that a leak in the engine room apparently caused the accident.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-02-17

"After the incident, initial investigations indicate that a leak in the engine room apparently caused the accident."

A leak would give enough time for passengers to put the life-jackets on.....if there were any or enough of them that is.........<_<

LaoPo

Anyone who has been on a typical tour boat in that area is not surprised.

Collisions? Bad Maintenance?

Seriously, I was thinking of having my family take a Halong Bay boat tour when they visit this year, but if you have stories of being lax (in addition to this accident), then I am definitely going to reconsider.

Anyone have any personal experiences or know anyone with reports on poor safety?

Living in Vietnam, no surprises at all! Actually it's a good fortune not often these tragic events happen. But lately during TET ( the Chinese New Year time here) other similar situations happened. Just like in Thailand during Songkran, mostly because stupidity ( and no common sense) in the people involved in these accidents !

Seriously, I was thinking of having my family take a Halong Bay boat tour when they visit this year, but if you have stories of being lax (in addition to this accident), then I am definitely going to reconsider.

Anyone have any personal experiences or know anyone with reports on poor safety?

Mate, I'm living in Vn since 2007. Security issues here are like mostly in any other south Asian country. Just look at the traffic situation here. At least in Thailand they respect traffic lights and general common rules. Here it's a mess ! Pls note I drive myself a bike but the rule is, like in the jungle, the biggest (strongest) wins ! So in order, big trucks, bus, van, Suv, car, motorbike, bicycle, people !

Said that, if yourself follow the BASIC RULES OF LOGIC AND COMMON SENSE, you ha no issues. But don't be afraid to speak out or let the people you are involved with know bout this! Example: b4 going for a boat tour, ask fir the safesty vests, check if they are ok. If they don't have them, change tour and don't pay !! If the taxi driver speaks on the phone while driving, order, yes ORDER him to shut down the phone. And so on... This is life here... Good luck and enjoy, after all it's not all so tragic :-)

I guess not.

Personally I haven't been on an overnight boat but this one apparently was unlicensed.

I've been on 3 of the day trip boats and not experienced any problems.

I'm plannng on gong on an overnight cruise this July if the weather is OK.

I did the 3 day cruise several years ago on a decent size boat. Probably the same size as the one that sunk as there were about 10-12 tourists on board. I am no expert, but the boat seemed fine. Everything was in working order, and being an ex-boat owner, the skipper let me cruise it for a few hours. It was one of the highlights of my 1 month trip to VN. Fantastic scenery.

It was more than a leak. Here's an excerpt from BBC:

One of them, Stefano Corda, 35, from Palermo, told how in the early hours of the morning they had woken up and that the boat had taken a minute to sink.

"We went to the exit and the boat was almost vertical. I grabbed my friend, we went out, and it was so fast."

Local government official Vu Van Thin said those rescued reported seeing a wooden plank tear away from the boat followed by a gush of water that overwhelmed it, pulling the vessel down.

And one from Huffington Post:

More than 100 cruise boats are licensed to offer overnight service there, and last year the province received 5.4 million visitors, nearly half of them foreigners.

The bay has had at least three fatal boat sinkings in the previous decade. Storms or windy conditions were blamed for sinkings in 2009, 2006 and 2002 that killed at least a dozen people in all.

With this many boats and tourists, it seems to be a rare occurrence. RIP to these poor souls....

:jap:

About 4 years ago we took a 3 day Halong Bay tour and it was great. We just booked through our hotel but it can be hit or miss as to how good the tour turns out. The safest way is probably to book a tour with one of the big groups like Handspan ( I think that's the name). They are more expensive but standards are much higher.