Jungceylon "Boulevard": Shame Of Patong

cekipa

Have you ever imagined that the so called Patong by pass road behind Jungceylon would become jut a beaten track ? What sort of local municipality would dare to deliver a broken road full of holes in the middle of new buildings and a state of the art shopping center along ??

There is something here to be really ashame of..... but nobody say something, everything looks normal ! Many condos have been built along and believe me or not, the apartments could have been sold much faster if there could be a proper tarmac paved road (I omit pedestrian way as in Phuket seems more a street vendor necessity than something conceived for walking along with our own legs ...). Besides, it would by-pass traffic much more efficiently.

.... and please, let's spare bullshits like "there is no money" as it has probably been already pocketed by local administrators by using cheap constructors (which in turn use cheap materials) with bids inflated so that they can survive on the corrupt system. This road is an eloquent example of how far corruption in the public administration has gone. SHAME ON YOU ALL !!

I recall an article in the PG 12 months or so from the bloke from the local roads dept lamenting his lack of funding. At that time, there were all sorts of complaints about the potholing and patching on the sharp downhill section half way between Patong and Karon. One of the problems (as you no doubt know) is that in parts of roads subject to poor drainage, within three months of re-sealing a road, it can look like it hasn't had attention for years. The part of the road between Sainamyen and Jungceylon have had heaps of work over the years, including extensive drainage work. The parts between Jungceylon and the OTOP turnoff soi has also had major improvement works. The parts between there/the bridge over the klong and past all the new condo developments (up to the area where the road used to be divided) was not much more than a dirt track until a couple of years ago. The amount of development there has been incredible, and I daresay that the state of that section of the road is more to do with Thai deparments not communicating with each other.

So my Post inspired you , but in another post about Phuket going to <deleted> in the Thailand news Forum , I spoke how I lived at what is now the 4th cross beach road

South < >North in Patong to be paved..the beach road in '88 when I lived at the Paradise Bar & Bungalows, then when I moved back here in '93 Rat-u-tit was built shortly after.

Then when I moved to Royal Crown Apts. 11 years ago , Soi NaNai got paved over and now I've just moved into a shop house off Jongceylon Blvd. as I like to call it , most call it the road....well ,if you read my post or not you probably called it that too !

So to come to your point on the shape the road is in , not often but in this case

the government who controls the paving of roads isn't being cheap or uncaring!

It's just not going to pave a road , that still has big trucks that are rolling down

it daily ...to new building areas!

However , the companies whose trucks are tearing up and creating the potholes , they should take the initiative. At least to fill holes daily , it shouldn't take but a hour or less ,if done daily !

You can rest assure , when they've finished tearing up Paradise , they'll pave

Jongceylon Blvd ! They already put up the parking lot! where mushrooms use to grow .

Thx for using that name too !

I recall an article in the PG 12 months or so from the bloke from the local roads dept lamenting his lack of funding. At that time, there were all sorts of complaints about the potholing and patching on the sharp downhill section half way between Patong and Karon. One of the problems (as you no doubt know) is that in parts of roads subject to poor drainage, within three months of re-sealing a road, it can look like it hasn't had attention for years. The part of the road between Sainamyen and Jungceylon have had heaps of work over the years, including extensive drainage work. The parts between Jungceylon and the OTOP turnoff soi has also had major improvement works. The parts between there/the bridge over the klong and past all the new condo developments (up to the area where the road used to be divided) was not much more than a dirt track until a couple of years ago. The amount of development there has been incredible, and I daresay that the state of that section of the road is more to do with Thai deparments not communicating with each other.

Incredible isn't a strong enough word or discriptive enuff , not sure , but either legalized gambling or Duty-Free Port status ,I hope both actually, will be arriving in the near future. What else besides the possibility of these two injections of life can be driving the Phuket , especially this latest burst of building , that you desribed in your post. Somebody must know more on this. I mean the ridiculous prices that Soi Bangla rents has grown into and the beach road places . I mean your workin for the Landlord in many businesses in that area...sorry one topic rolls into another , at my age ! BB

This is the road that the MAYOR of Patong promised over 1 year ago to resurface..but like most thing he promises there is never any ACTION only hot air...in my opinion he is a big part of the problem of PATONG and nobody can do anything abou it...Why? i....i think everyone knows why.. Corruption and Greed..

This is the road that the MAYOR of Patong promised over 1 year ago to resurface..but like most thing he promises there is never any ACTION only hot air...in my opinion he is a big part of the problem of PATONG and nobody can do anything abou it...Why? i....i think everyone knows why.. Corruption and Greed..

So you think a boulevard that has all those heavy duty trucks carrying all that dirt and building materials

and equipment won't ruin Jongceylon Blvd. ,if they were to pave it up now ! Then maybe you haven't seen what

is causing the road to be in the shape it's in already !

As I said before , it will get re-done , but most likely not until the majority of the construction

vehicles are done rolling down it ! That's how it has been done since 1988, that's when the....read my other replies to this post about the roads being paved.

You just have to be extremely patient, as usual not many things

get done here very quickly. Mai pen rai ! the first words in Thai I learned after one more beer please! How much? Wheres the toilet? Counting money in Thai, and the least used by Thai people :What time is it?

Never be in a hurry here is rule #1 ,

Rule #2 is if you are in a hurry ,

see rule # 1...BB

So you think a boulevard that has all those heavy duty trucks carrying all that dirt and building materials

and equipment won't ruin Jongceylon Blvd. ,if they were to pave it up now ! Then maybe you haven't seen what

is causing the road to be in the shape it's in already !

As I said before , it will get re-done , but most likely not until the majority of the construction

vehicles are done rolling down it ! That's how it has been done since 1988, that's when the....read my other replies to this post about the roads being paved.

You just have to be extremely patient, as usual not many things

get done here very quickly. Mai pen rai ! the first words in Thai I learned after one more beer please! How much? Wheres the toilet? Counting money in Thai, and the least used by Thai people :What time is it?

Never be in a hurry here is rule #1 ,

Rule #2 is if you are in a hurry ,

see rule # 1...BB

dont talk to me about.. mai .pen rai..its still the same..broken roads.. and.. broken promises,been here over 20 years...seen it all ...nothing changes..same same but differant...

So you learnt some Thai? well done....:D

been here over 20 years...seen it all ...

C'mon barka, you know that's misleading.

You've been coming for holidays for 20 years, but, have been a resident here for about 5 years.

No it is not. I wasn't living in Patong way back in the early 90's, but I remember what it was like back then with the idling buses on Bangla etc. Does a person have to live in a place to know and see the difference? hadn't been to karon for longer than an hour in over a year until last month when I ate at the Karlson's with my friend after we hit the shopping stalls. The place had really changed once I had a chance to walk around. I am not a permanent resident and yet I probably know Patong better than a longtime resident of Rawai, but so what? I walk to jungceylon regularly and see the road conditions too. Does the fact that I am not a permanent resident mean, that I can't see the difference between now and years ago?

been here over 20 years...seen it all ...

C'mon barka, you know that's misleading.

You've been coming for holidays for 20 years, but, have been a resident here for about 5 years.

Mr KaronBravo ....so now you know more about me than I do. I did not say resident,If your so clever..tell me how long I have been involved in a tourist business here,Even though you don't know ...This is a problem here many expats assume too much..withoutknowing the facts

Edited by LivinginKata
Reformat from all caps

Mr KaronBravo ....so now you know more about me than I do. I did not say resident,If your so clever..tell me how long I have been involved in a tourist business here,Even though you don't know ...This is a problem here many expats assume too much..withoutknowing the facts

Hmmmmm......you always post as if you have been a resident for 20 years and you never clarify that point.

As we have quite a few mutual aquaintences, I know how long you have been resident here.

In future I won't respond to your crass "shouting".

Edited by LivinginKata
quote changed from all caps

ahh the old "i been here longer than u" love it and its always from people that have not been here longer but speak like they do.

I recall when the number restaurnts were actually on the beach before they were all moved to soi Bangla and there were no stop lights in Patong and one couldn't drive over the hill to karon from Patong and the Titanic was the number one disco!!!

:-)

Edited by phuketrichard

ahh the old "i been here longer than u" love it and its always from people that have not been here longer but speak like they do.

Yes, you're absolutely right and barka is always pulling out that card.

I got cured when a friend of mine who had only been here three years got to know all the very important people in Phuket (governor, ruling families), knew all the "in" places and spoke better Thai than me. I had been here years and years longer than him, but, I was well behind.

Just goes to show, eh?

Edited by KarenBravo

Maybe KB and Barka can comment on this one for me since they have been here so long, when has Patong ever been referred to as Patong City?

A couple of years back there was an article in the Phuket Gazette announcing that Phuket Town was now Phuket City. If I find the article I will post the link.

Maybe KB and Barka can comment on this one for me since they have been here so long, when has Patong ever been referred to as Patong City?

A couple of years back there was an article in the Phuket Gazette announcing that Phuket Town was now Phuket City. If I find the article I will post the link.

Understood on Phuket Town (City) LIK, but I just cannot get "Patong City" on the sign as, everywhere else is just one word.........Kata, Karon, Nai Harn,Bangtao etc.

More dough for a bigger sign?

Oops, o.k. maybe Nai Harn is two......but anyway

Edited by grumpyoldman

Understood on Phuket Town (City) LIK, but I just cannot get "Patong City" on the sign as, everywhere else is just one word.........Kata, Karon, Nai Harn,Bangtao etc.

I meant to say Patong City. I'm looking for the Phuket Gazette article. Think it was linked to the building of the big sign for Patong City. I laughed about the change to Phuket City, laughed harder about Patong City.

http://phuketgazette.net/news/detail.asp?id=8853&Search=patong%20city%20sign

Many signs say 'Pa Tong'.

Yes, you're absolutely right and barka is always pulling out that card.

I got cured when a friend of mine who had only been here three years got to know all the very important people in Phuket (governor, ruling families), knew all the "in" places and spoke better Thai than me. I had been here years and years longer than him, but, I was well behind.

Just goes to show, eh?

If there's one thing worse than somebody who constantly refers to how long he has been here, in an attempt to strengthen his arguement, it's someone who goes out of his way to hang around with 'important' people. :bah:

If there's one thing worse than somebody who constantly refers to how long he has been here, in an attempt to strengthen his arguement, it's someone who goes out of his way to hang around with 'important' people. :bah:

I agree, but, this friend did it for business reasons and not as a social climber. He was very successful and still is, though he now lives in Bangkok.