On Friday's Thailand Today

Felix Lynn

I went to Udon Thaini yesterday by bus. As I got off was surrounded by the local tuk tuk drivers. I asked them to go somewhere which is a 20 baht drive, they asked 40 baht.

I told them they were like pathetic thieves(in Thai) and got some real abuse back - was it worth the hassle for me to let them know that I was pissed off, and wasn't a tourist(like they give a <deleted> :D )? Is it a big deal 20 baht? NO, it is how I deal with it. It depends on how I am feeling(is my spiritual condition well, or am I wrapped up in  self centredness/pity/righteousness etc). Am I ready to accept that they will try to rip me off, and either pay or walk away without saying a word. Walk a few yards to the main road and get one there.

Tuk Tuk drivers will try and rip off the farang. They wouldn't take me for the real fare.

Don't stoop to their level, like I did, walk away with a friendly smile.

How to rid the streets and bus stations of tuk tuk scum. There's a topic. :o

I'm glad those that listened liked the show. I'd even like to hear from those that didn't.

Regarding the tuk tuk double pricing, I know some foreigners are in full acceptance of double pricing. One guy even said it's just a convenient user fee, which helps me pay the extra padded falang rate. But it would be an interesting experiment, to go out with a Thai and do everything the same and see what the finally tab comes out to. And also compare the starting prices, the ending prices and characterize the haggling that went on.

Nice idea.

I enjoy your program Felix, I think the point being made was, in this forum, everytime BG's are mentioned it deteriotes, by the way in Oz at the moment Moderating and watching cricket and listening to station , great work

so far this thread and the mention of bg's has not deteriorated unlike the oz cricket :o

but back on topic, you will always get good debate when you mix sex and how it is in your face and especially if you mention proximity to schools, a good debate and good listening

I thing what has to be bourn in mind is that Thailand is not the UK or USA or Australia and there is a restriction on the topics that can be talked about.

In other Asian countries broadcasters have been put in jail for talking about what everyone know is going on, but discussion about it is seen by the government as talking down the country.

Talking about what is going on in the south is a very thin tight rope to walk. Reporting at the time, when at army was saying it never happened, that people were put into over crowed truck and transported for hours and people died, is one such case. Being vindicated later is not an option.

Implying or even saying a government minister lied by saying Iraq had weapons of mass destruction may be allowed in the west (OK Australia is not in the west, but you know what I mean), but in Asia is not allowed.

Is there an Asian Michael Moore walking the streets?

Why don't you do a story about how some tuk tuk and cab drivers in the bigger cities like to rip off farangs. Especially when they see them getting off a bus. ("Where you go, where you go")

Or how when a store keeper sees a farang they immediately raise prices 10%.

Or how all the national parks have a Thai price and a farang price.

I'm not really complaining because anywhere you go you have to learn to sidestep a few landmines to enjoy life. In southeast asia, there are lots of landmines.

richard10365 My question is how can you be ripped off by:

1. A Tuk Tuk driver - you have to negotiate the fare before you set off - if you think its to much try another means of transport (shanks pony).

2. Taxi drivers there is a meter????

The storekeeper is not even in the league of supermarkets in Australia they raise prices on commodities during pension pay weeks and list specials for the period (SMTW) before pensions are paid on the Thursday. The storekeeper where I live charges me the same as her Thai customers. (Did I mention the storekeeper is my wife)

National Parks has been debated to death - maybe it could be looked at in reverse The real price being eg. 200 baht and a discount allowed for residents (who happen to be in this case Thai) to encourage them to visit with their Farang friends as they may not be able to afford it as much as the holidaying farang tourist. (only a thought).

Mate get a life before it's too late!! forget the landmines they will look after themselves.

Mijan, you don't get out much do you mate. Have you ever taken the bus anywhere? Ever been out late at night or in some touristy place like Khao Sahn Road and have some cab driver offer to take you someplace special for a special price?

I don't see whats wrong with discussing the things I mentioned. These are things that matter to me.

Maybe you can help me with the get a life part. Not sure what you have in mind. I cant say I am foolish enough to ignore the con artist and swindlers in the world but if thats how you like to live your life, who am I to stop you. Feel free to step on as many landmines as you like.

I think you should realise that you have something of a unique opportunity to present the Farang view of Thailand to both Farangs and Thais here and consider how to use it to contribute - not just re-cycle the same old claptrap about the lives of bargirls, English Teachers or whatever.

To say that your topics are merely an extension of what is discussed on this or other Boards is simplistic, especially when you select the salacious rather than the more thoughtful subjects.

Nor do you have to produce 4 different Topics 5 days a week (or whatever the numbers are). Choose a long term project (or 2, or 3) and devote one section of your programme one day a week to following it, interviewing people involved etc.. NOT the old chestnuts of double pricing or Farang not being able to purchase land here etc. - you will simply sound like yet another whining Farang and be ignored.

Something Nationally or Socially important, and interesting to a wider range of listeners .... maybe something like following the efforts of locals and residents of Kho Samet to prevent the place becoming another Pattaya, Phuket or Samui, or a campaign to preserve Thai National Parks or historical sites. (OK - Conservation is one of my personal bandwagons but there are dozens of other subjects worth looking at in some depth)

Interview local Farangs in different parts of Thailand and tell their stories (NOT, for heavens sake, Heineke / Stickman / Boss Hogg / Trink et al, that's all been done to death). There are people on here running their own businesses, practicing medium scale farming in the North and North East, working as volunteers with orphanages or other social help agencies here - the list goes on and on.

You have the chance to make a small but significant difference in many ways .............. or you can simply go down as the first Farang promoter of LCD Radio in Thailand - Lowest Common Denominator.

Patrick

Edited by p_brownstone

Hear Hear

A more documentary style with useful info on making a living or contributing to society would be great.

Somewhat less controversial though....would people listen??

I think you should realise that you have something of a unique opportunity to present the Farang view of Thailand to both Farangs and Thais here and consider how to use it to contribute - not just re-cycle the same old claptrap about the lives of bargirls, English Teachers or whatever.

To say that your topics are merely an extension of what is discussed on this or other Boards is simplistic, especially when you select the salacious rather than the more thoughtful subjects.

Nor do you have to produce 4 different Topics 5 days a week (or whatever the numbers are). Choose a long term project (or 2, or 3) and devote one section of your programme one day a week to following it, interviewing people involved etc.. NOT the old chestnuts of double pricing or Farang not being able to purchase land here etc. - you will simply sound like yet another whining Farang and be ignored.

Something Nationally or Socially important, and interesting to a wider range of listeners .... maybe something like following the efforts of locals and residents of Kho Samet to prevent the place becoming another Pattaya, Phuket or Samui, or a campaign to preserve Thai National Parks or historical sites. (OK - Conservation is one of my personal bandwagons but there are dozens of other subjects worth looking at in some depth)

Interview local Farangs in different parts of Thailand and tell their stories (NOT, for heavens sake, Heineke / Stickman / Boss Hogg / Trink et al, that's all been done to death). There are people on here running their own businesses, practicing medium scale farming in the North and North East, working as volunteers with orphanages or other social help agencies here - the list goes on and on.

You have the chance to make a small but significant difference in many ways .............. or you can simply go down as the first Farang promoter of LCD Radio in Thailand - Lowest Common Denominator.

Patrick

or a campaign to preserve Thai National Parks or historical sites.

yawn yawn yawn

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz........parrrrrp................zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

z.

interviews with farangs who live here, fine.

interviews with thais who come into contact with farangs , fine

but please keep farang tree huggers and agenda bender conservationists and all those farangs who purport to be showing thais the right and only way to manage their own country off air.

Edited by taxexile

I'm glad those that listened liked the show. I'd even like to hear from those that didn't.

OK, only cause you asked - I'm trying to be constructive!!

I listened to a couple of your shows in the archives where you talked to Stickman about education and when you talked about the reported cracks in the runway.

I understand that you are probably very much underfunded and have a research team of one: ie yourself. So its always going to be an uphill battle to get interesting and well researched topics.

Having said that, my biggest problem is a couple of times you said in relation to your subject matter:

- "I don't know if....(these reports are true regarding the runway cracks)"; or

- In your preamble to your interveiw with stickman you essentially said that you 'did not know' how Thai Ministry of Education planned to revamp their English teaching curriculum.

Surely a bit more research could have been done to find out that you 'know' what the facts involved with the story are before you went to air. Would have helped educate the audience on the issues and the facts as well.

You should really get out and network with Thai based jounalists to find out whats what. I'm not even a journo but I tended to bump into English language journalists when I was based in Bangkok, either socially -simply hanging out at the FCC or through work and was able to catch up on things then.

I take it you are based in Hong Kong....maybe not the best place to do a Thailand related talk show. Also, as someone else has said, maybe it is best to cut back the shows to a once or twice a week, swat up on the topic matter so that you are the expert, and then get other experts in to have a good chat about what ever it is.

OK, only cause you asked - I'm trying to be constructive!!

I listened to a couple of your shows in the archives where you talked to Stickman about education and when you talked about the reported cracks in the runway.

I understand that you are probably very much underfunded and have a research team of one: ie yourself. So its always going to be an uphill battle to get interesting and well researched topics.

Having said that, my biggest problem is a couple of times you said in relation to your subject matter:

- "I don't know if....(these reports are true regarding the runway cracks)"; or

- In your preamble to your interveiw with stickman you essentially said that you 'did not know' how Thai Ministry of Education planned to revamp their English teaching curriculum.

Surely a bit more research could have been done to find out that you 'know' what the facts involved with the story are before you went to air. Would have helped educate the audience on the issues and the facts as well.

You should really get out and network with Thai based jounalists to find out whats what. I'm not even a journo but I tended to bump into English language journalists when I was based in Bangkok, either socially -simply hanging out at the FCC or through work and was able to catch up on things then.

I take it you are based in Hong Kong....maybe not the best place to do a Thailand related talk show. Also, as someone else has said, maybe it is best to cut back the shows to a once or twice a week, swat up on the topic matter so that you are the expert, and then get other experts in to have a good chat about what ever it is.

I was trying to let this promo topic die because another one is coming tomorrow but you bring up some good points and you understand the contraints. I have some support but really little time before each show. There is no producer but I sometimes act like there is when taping for "attempted" comic relief. When I can be, I am more prepared in some of the more newsy segments, like the ones you refered to.

For Thailand Today, my goal is not to be a journalist and report all the facts as precisely as I know them but to be "host" that attempts to bring up topics for debate and discussion. We are going live soon, when you the listener will be able to call in and talk, discuss, debate and challenge the host just like on any other talk show.

The other goal is to bring the goings-on in Thailand to the audience in an entertaining way that's like a talk, though it's often one way with little or no email or listener comments. I do some interviews and these will increase as time goes on. But I'm not the BBC or CNN in any way, but just a guy talking about what's the latest happening in Thailand. I also try to tell a story now and then and talk about the all those taboo topics that some hate and others relish.

It's in it's infancy as is the radio station as a whole.

I will take into consideration what you say and I thank you for taking the time to listen and comment.

Wth the bottom of the hour headlines, I'm basically rewriting news copy from multiple sources and putting them in a radio format. That I take seriously with regards to facts, figures and accuracy. I attribute sources whenever necessary. However, because of resources, we can only update those headlines twice a day, five days a week but we run the Friday news over the weekend so casual listeners can get caught up on what happens.

Thanks again and feel free to comment in any way in the future.