Tv Members In And Around Ubon

bergen

There seems to be quite a few "new" members in the area, and I'm just wondering if there's any interest of having a gathering/meet up/social event/dinner or similar?? :unsure:

Of course anyone from Sisaket, Surin or elsewhere would also be most welcome! :D

Hi Trond

We are fling back Sunday week, will be back in the village a few days later. As you know I am not really a drinker, but am more than happy to attend just to be neighbourly. Jim

That's the spirit Jim!! :lol:

Don a pair of training shoes and get on the Hash run. The two days at your place, Trond, was superb!!

Thanks DreamRider, and agree with all you're saying! :rolleyes:

However I imagine some believe the hash is a training or/and competition so was just thinking of an informal gathering at a selected venue/restaurant/etc. somewhere. :D

Put me down for that !

As usual if it involves beer and food, I'm your man.

Cheers :partytime2:

We are in Surin area (Prasat). but I have recently been researching the Ubon area for potential vacation spot for us in March or so. When would this gathering be potentially planned for, and could we be put down for more info...sounds great. Thanks in advance!

mario299

Put me down for that !

As usual if it involves beer and food, I'm your man.

Cheers :partytime2:

We are in Surin area (Prasat). but I have recently been researching the Ubon area for potential vacation spot for us in March or so. When would this gathering be potentially planned for, and could we be put down for more info...sounds great. Thanks in advance!

mario299

Sandgroper - I knew I could count on you! :whistling:

Mario - We need the numbers to grow a little bit before we start further planning, just follow the topic and you'll be informed! :D

If in Ubon city, then I'd suggest SPARGOS Italian restaurant. All the favourite beers and fine wines there, complete with genuine pizza!!

(The other suggestion is the Wrong Way Cafe, but I'd prefer not as my ex-mrs hangs out there with her cronies!!!!!!)

Yes Spago could be one option, WrongWay is not on my list, since it's my usual "hangout". :rolleyes:

Several good Thai venues to choose from also, Smile, Jum Pa Hom, Zaap Soi 9, Sabiang, Aunruen, just to mention a few.

Most of these places will also provide decent wine for the "connoisseurs" :D

I'll keep the topic alive for a while more since a few who was interested wasn't available before March, but then if there isn't any more enthusiasm, we'll just have to continue socializing as we already do - in a discrete manner! :whistling:

Count me out if it is at Spagos. I will never give that place any of my business again.

So where will you prefer to have a meet up? :)

Edited by bergen

Count me out if it is at Spagos. I will never give that place any of my business again.

Very good troehr, jump on a thread with no other intention than to traduce an establishment.

Perhaps you'd like to elaborate so at least the owner can have the opportunity to offer a rebuttal.

Very good troehr, jump on a thread with no other intention than to traduce an establishment.

Perhaps you'd like to elaborate so at least the owner can have the opportunity to offer a rebuttal.

I will be glad to tell you, but the owner had his chance at the time.

I went once with my girlfriend. We were the only ones in the restaurant besides the owner and his wife. It took them 15 minutes to acknowledge we were there and bring menus and take our order. I order a calzone with pepperoni, sausage, and spinach and my girlfriend order a seafood spaghetti. When the food finally came, her spaghetti was cold and when I cut open the calzone it was full of brocholi. I hate brocholi. I thought I had made a mistake and asked to see the menu again. But the menu did in fact say pepperoni, sausage and spinach. When I complained to the wife she ignored me until my girlfriend started complaining for me. The owner stood leaning against the wall the whole time. I did not get a remade pizza or a discount and basicly had a meal we could not eat. I think it is very poor customer service for the owner to just sit and not care. I told him as we left I would never enter his restaurant again and would never recommend his restaurant. He just stood there and never said a word. The girlfriend also thought her spaghetti was the worst in town, not that it matters.

So I will not eat there.

Edited by troehr

I went once with my girlfriend. We were the only ones in the restaurant besides the owner and his wife. It took them 15 minutes to acknowledge we were there and bring menus and take our order. I order a cl with pepperoni, sausage, and spinach and my girlfriend order a seafood spaghetti. When the food finally came, her spaghetti was cold and when I cut open the calzone it was full of brocholi. I hate brocholi. I thought I had made a mistake and asked to see the menu again. But the menu did in fact say pepperoni, sausage and spinach. When I complained to the wife she ignored me until my girlfriend started complaining for me. The owner stood leaning against the wall the whole time. I did not get a remade pizza or a discount and basicly had a meal we could not eat. I think it is very poor customer service for the owner to just sit and not care. I told him as we left I would never enter his restaurant again and would never recommend his restaurant. He just stood there and never said a word. The girlfriend also thought her spaghetti was the worst in town, not that it matters.

So I will not eat there.

Sorry Trond, count me out if troehr is going, he sounds a barrel of laughs .... not!!

I, and many others, know Franco well and the acount of events above is nothing more than one-sided diatribe.

I have never, never had a bad meal at Spagos and the management are very "service" minded.

I went once with my girlfriend. We were the only ones in the restaurant besides the owner and his wife. It took them 15 minutes to acknowledge we were there and bring menus and take our order. I order a calzone with pepperoni, sausage, and spinach and my girlfriend order a seafood spaghetti. When the food finally came, her spaghetti was cold and when I cut open the calzone it was full of brocholi. I hate brocholi. I thought I had made a mistake and asked to see the menu again. But the menu did in fact say pepperoni, sausage and spinach. When I complained to the wife she ignored me until my girlfriend started complaining for me. The owner stood leaning against the wall the whole time. I did not get a remade pizza or a discount and basicly had a meal we could not eat. I think it is very poor customer service for the owner to just sit and not care. I told him as we left I would never enter his restaurant again and would never recommend his restaurant. He just stood there and never said a word. The girlfriend also thought her spaghetti was the worst in town, not that it matters.

So I will not eat there.

I think you must have went there on the one bad day that Spagos will ever have.

give it another try and when in Thai do as the thais do and bring a (token) so all 4 of y'all can save face.

Unless you want to take air asia to bkk everytime you want a great pizza or quality Italian food, just man up.

:thumbsup:

Seems to me that Troehr has a legitimate reason for not wanting to eat there, bad day or not, if the service and product delivered to his table was as described I would never grace the place with my custom again either. I cannot see why he would have any reason to make up his story so to tell him to "man up" because mine host happens to be an acquaintance is rather bad form!

I intend eventually settling in the Sisaket area and would love to meet like minded non-Thais that live in Isaan.

The area has many attractions that invite further investigation and it is always good to hear from the "old hands" what the lie of the land is.

I hope you get the required number to attend the get together and that you don't all sit around moaning about what is wrong with the region but rather what are the positives of living in Isaan. Perhaps this could be the subject of another thread?

Seems to me that Troehr has a legitimate reason for not wanting to eat there, bad day or not, if the service and product delivered to his table was as described I would never grace the place with my custom again either. I cannot see why he would have any reason to make up his story so to tell him to "man up" because mine host happens to be an acquaintance is rather bad form!

I intend eventually settling in the Sisaket area and would love to meet like minded non-Thais that live in Isaan.

The area has many attractions that invite further investigation and it is always good to hear from the "old hands" what the lie of the land is.

I hope you get the required number to attend the get together and that you don't all sit around moaning about what is wrong with the region but rather what are the positives of living in Isaan. Perhaps this could be the subject of another thread?

Thailand is different when you are not in a foreign tourist area.

Ya can't just go around throwing little hissy fits for much anything; nevermind something as trivial as broccoli Vs. spinach.

It would help Troehr muchly (by repositioning his inner chi; and all that) to go back and let all 4 save face.

March is just around the corner, so what about a day in the third week, starting with Monday 14th. What is prefered - weekday or weekend?

More suggestions on where to gather? :rolleyes:

Ya can't just go around throwing little hissy fits for much anything; nevermind something as trivial as broccoli Vs. spinach.

It would help Troehr muchly (by repositioning his inner chi; and all that) to go back and let all 4 save face.

I did not make a big scene. When the owner does not even bother to come see what the problem is, it is his problem not mine. I frequent dozens of restaurants regularly. I am not a grump or anything. In fact I am a very happy person here. But I eat good pizza and Italian food at Risottos if that is what I want. The service has always been good there. I do not believe you have to go somewhere just because a foreigner is the owner. My inner chi is just fine. There are plenty of other choices to eat here. If he would have made even the slightest attempt at customer service I would have a different attitude about his restaurant.

I did not make a big scene. When the owner does not even bother to come see what the problem is, it is his problem not mine. I frequent dozens of restaurants regularly. I am not a grump or anything. In fact I am a very happy person here. But I eat good pizza and Italian food at Risottos if that is what I want. The service has always been good there. I do not believe you have to go somewhere just because a foreigner is the owner. My inner chi is just fine. There are plenty of other choices to eat here. If he would have made even the slightest attempt at customer service I would have a different attitude about his restaurant.

I went in there once, the guy is at his station, we sit down, get comfy, after a while waitress comes over and says '' We are closed '' :lol:

To be fare l did'nt know it closed at 2 pm for se-esta, l must have got there at 1.50pm.:huh:

I went in there once, the guy is at his station, we sit down, get comfy, after a while waitress comes over and says '' We are closed '' :lol:

To be fare l did'nt know it closed at 2 pm for se-esta, l must have got there at 1.50pm.:huh:

I live outside Kantharlak and would be more than happy to join in. Anyplace is fine with me.

Following on from your post Harry, an over-nighter at Suanloongdaeng Farmstay at Nam Yuen would be a good idea. It has everything one needs ie booze, food and rooms, easier for the Sisaket and Surin chapters, wives and families can join in and the environment is unbeatable.

(The owner is a strange fellow though !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

I live outside Kantharlak and would be more than happy to join in. Anyplace is fine with me.

Following on from your post Harry, an over-nighter at Suanloongdaeng Farmstay at Nam Yuen would be a good idea. It has everything one needs ie booze, food and rooms, easier for the Sisaket and Surin chapters, wives and families can join in and the environment is unbeatable.

(The owner is a strange fellow though !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Good idea and will save me having to see Trond twice in one month. Pick a date and we can get pissed at Tronds.Jim