Left Thailand Without Exit Stamp And Exit Card Still In Passport

Dear all,

We left Thailand last December. The thai border police forgot giving my wife the exit stamp and the exit card is still in the passport. She still has her boarding pass showing that she left Thailand. Do you think we will still have problems when entering Thailand?

thank you

Yes, you will have a problem.

Not sure of your current location/home, but suggest you go to the nearest Thai Embassy/Consulate with all your docs. (Eticket, boarding passes etc.) and get them to certify your wife’s' passport.

Entry/exit cards and Passport details are still not all computerised and centrally recorded in Thailand. Therefore your wife could be building up a massive overstay in Thailand.

The other more drastic option is to get her a new Passport.

Hope this helps.

Yes, you will have a problem.

Not sure of your current location/home, but suggest you go to the nearest Thai Embassy/Consulate with all your docs. (Eticket, boarding passes etc.) and get them to certify your wife's' passport.

Entry/exit cards and Passport details are still not all computerised and centrally recorded in Thailand. Therefore your wife could be building up a massive overstay in Thailand.

The other more drastic option is to get her a new Passport.

Hope this helps.

thanx a lot for your prompt reply!

She holds an Austrian passport. we are planning to enter Thailand at BKK aiport, which has been our entry and exit point for Thailand.

I did ctc our local embassy in Vienna. that is the reply. What should they certify?

"Dear Mr. Wan!

Thank you so much for visiting Thailand, we are happy that you and your family enjoy it.

The exit card was still in the passport of your wife. It would be no problem.

But without no exit stamp on passport might cause a problem. Anyway, you can show your boarding card of the return flight BKK-VIE to immigration, if you have such problem by the next visit in Thailand.

We hope to greet you again in Thailand.

Best regards,

Mrs. Lamom Palmsteiner

Administrative Clerk

Royal Thai Embassy

Cottagegasse 48

1180 Wien

Tel: +43 (0) 1 478 33 35 ext. 24

Fax: +43 (0) 1 478 2907"

Edited by ChenWan

Well what can I say “This is Thailand” although it may be in a little bit of Austria!!!!!

Can only suggest you see them face to face, otherwise you will have a problem. To put it simply, your wife has no proof that she ever left Thailand. Yes she has the stub from a boarding pass, (so she tore her ticket in half, will say Thai immigration) assume she has no entry stamp into Austria?, therefore she is still in Thailand according to Thai authorities.

I would try getting a statement from your flight carrier that she did in fact travel. Then take that and her Passport to the “local” Thai Embassy.

I would never suggest doing anything illegal, but a “lost” or “hell look at this, I put it through the washing machine” passport, results in the issue of a new Passport which has a new number and no record of previous travel.

But that is the last, last, last resort.

Even if you get a new passport, your wifes name and d.o.b. will still be in the system, you have got a major problem here, be prepared for a major interrogation upon your return to Thailand, and maybe even a trip to immigration detention centre until the matter is cleared up at worst case. Or even being sent home, after paying a fine.

I would reccomend contacting a law firm in Thailand explaining the situation and maybe they have a contacts at immigration and can get it all fixed up before your return.

The only other option, is for your wife to change her name, and get a new passport. But this would be your last resort.

The only other option, is for your wife to change her name, and get a new passport. But this would be your last resort.

OMG! Change her name?? :o what about her dob?

Worst advice ever.

To the OP, go to the local Thai embassy, try and sort it out there. Worst come to worst, get a new passport. As already stated, Thailand tracking is by passport number only, not name, dob or anything else.

Why not just apply to a local consulate for a Tourist Visa.

Any likely problems will be pointed/sorted out by the consulate processing the Visa when they get the passport.

Nice idea but this will not work. Visas are only processed on certain criteria and embassies are not privy to all the information held on Thailand's immigration department computer. Permission to stay is granted by the immigration officer at the border not by the issuing of a visa.

I would strongly consider not visiting Thailand until you have confirmation from the Immigration Department itself that your wife's departure has been noted. Otherwise, your wife is likely to be held in detention on arrival in Thailand, processed as an overstayer and a heavy fine may be levied.

Why not just apply to a local consulate for a Tourist Visa.

Any likely problems will be pointed/sorted out by the consulate processing the Visa when they get the passport.

Nice idea but this will not work. Visas are only processed on certain criteria and embassies are not privy to all the information held on Thailand's immigration department computer. Permission to stay is granted by the immigration officer at the border not by the issuing of a visa.

I would strongly consider not visiting Thailand until you have confirmation from the Immigration Department itself that your wife's departure has been noted. Otherwise, your wife is likely to be held in detention on arrival in Thailand, processed as an overstayer and a heavy fine may be levied.

As a VISA can only be granted outside Thailand

A new VISA in your passport is very good evidence you left Thailand.

Which airport in Thailand did your wife fly from? Typically the Immigration folks will attach the Departure card to the boarding pass then both are collected by airline staff when you board, or have I misunderstood something?

Regardless, if you get a letter from the airline confirming that you departed, that should be sufficient I would have thought.

As a VISA can only be granted outside Thailand

A new VISA in your passport is very good evidence you left Thailand.

Not sure about that... Anyone can drop them off and pick them up, it's only one extra piece of paper (the authority you give to have someone else pick them up - and they must bring ID). To the consulate getting this they will think that's what's happened and she's back "in-country", ie they will see that she hasn't exited and may ask questions. Certainly, they can see that it's her, but I don't know about them endorsing the passport that she's left, I don't think it works like that. In any case, I don't think a visa alone in the passport could be deemed PROOF she left the country.

Hopefully, what would be better is an entry stamp to her next port of call, be it home or another country. Although I know not all home countries do that - in half a dozen or more trips overseas, I have one entry stamp back into my country (ePassport)

Did you enter /leave together?

we left Thailand (Bangkokg Airport) together (as a family with 2 kids). That is how it happened. 4 passports at the same time are too much for the immigration officer:) The rest of us had the exit stamp in passports, I still have the boarding passes.

I am considerung asking her to see thai embassy in person. Maybe they can certify that they saw her in person in Austria. I would also prepare a letter by airline, stating that she left thailand on the same day.

Are you guys sure about the immigration only notes the passnumber? We can apply for new pass at any time, no matter how long the old one still valid.

I still think just go there and explain will be ok. Do you think we can choose not enter thailand, if the immigration creates too much troubles? thank you all.

Can someone please explain to me how an "arriving" passenger will be detained for "overstay" ??

Seems to some over reaction on this thraead.

Since the OP has now explained that they left as a family group it is likely that the IMM officer already processed the departure card online and it seems to me the airline is the one who collects the departure card because it is stapled to the part of the Boarding pass the airline collects when you board.

Also as previously posted a new visa is evidence that his wife left the country, as is the Boarding pass.

ANd as for the statement that tracking in Thailand is done by passport number - Not true! It is done by both - ie: passort number ad name, Plus it is done by the TM number - the number on the Arrival/departure card.

OP, if you cannot get answer from your Embassy (which i think you probably wont) keep all the documentation with you and on arrival go to the Immigration Office (not the counters the actual Office) on the arrivals side and explain your case to the Supervisor. If in doubt be upfront and ask.

How do I know ? This happended to me on one of my many trips almost weekly to LOS. So I did what i say, went to the Immigration Supervisors office (airside) when i landed back in Bangkok , explained, they looked up computer - answer no problem ! The immigration staff then proceeded to process my arrival and I was out of there through the VIP entrance in about 10minutes.

Don't listen to the posts saying just get a new passport, Thailand immigration is mainly online except some remote land border crossings, but even them border crossings input their data onto a computer on a daily basis. When you leave Thailand all the immigration officer at the airport does is enter your departure card number in the computer and depart you from Thailand, when you enter your passport is biometricly scanned, it will capture your passport number, name & date of birth, these will all be checked, against the immigration computer including any blacklists. It will show a red flag as the the name and date of birth would be a match, and they would look deeper as to double check you are the same person, so they would check the photo, and then your screwed again.

You cannot choose not to enter Thailand! with the exception of deportation, its a one way channel only!

Can someone please explain to me how an "arriving" passenger will be detained for "overstay" ??

Seems to some over reaction on this thraead.

Since the OP has now explained that they left as a family group it is likely that the IMM officer already processed the departure card online and it seems to me the airline is the one who collects the departure card because it is stapled to the part of the Boarding pass the airline collects when you board.

Also as previously posted a new visa is evidence that his wife left the country, as is the Boarding pass.

ANd as for the statement that tracking in Thailand is done by passport number - Not true! It is done by both - ie: passort number ad name, Plus it is done by the TM number - the number on the Arrival/departure card.

OP, if you cannot get answer from your Embassy (which i think you probably wont) keep all the documentation with you and on arrival go to the Immigration Office (not the counters the actual Office) on the arrivals side and explain your case to the Supervisor. If in doubt be upfront and ask.

How do I know ? This happended to me on one of my many trips almost weekly to LOS. So I did what i say, went to the Immigration Supervisors office (airside) when i landed back in Bangkok , explained, they looked up computer - answer no problem ! The immigration staff then proceeded to process my arrival and I was out of there through the VIP entrance in about 10minutes.

Thank you very much. I will folow your advice and contact the Immigrations Supervisors Office first.

There is no need for a new Passport. That just looks like you ARE trying to cover up something to the officer - IF something happens to pop up on his screen.

On arrival, (with all the old documents including the boarding pass) go to the Immigration Supervisors office (airside) and explain. This shows you are NOT trying to hide anything.

The airlines in Thailand do not retain the departure card, it should be immigration that do that.

Non sense - the immigration deskofficer processes your departure ONLINE when you stand in fron tof him/her, he/she then staples the departure card to the boarding pass (the peice kept by the airline) and gives you back your Passport and boardingpass with departure card attached. When you board your flight the airline staff tear of there peice of the Boarding pass with departure card attached and you keep your part of the boardingpass.

This Topic is three years old but may help.

went to immigration with a big smile,the immigration officer took one look at my passport and said sorry for the mistake again I say TY to all and sundry for the advice(and the moral of the story is always check your passport)again thanks

The airlines in Thailand do not retain the departure card, it should be immigration that do that.

Agreed, but if you recall the process when you fly out of Swampy, Immigration does its thing and then staples the departure card to the boarding pass, both of which are collected by airline staff as you board, presumably the departure card is then passed back to Immigration for, ahem, safe keeping! It was on the basis of all that why I couldn't understand the scenario presented by the OP.

<BR>
<BR>The airlines in Thailand do not retain the departure card, it should be immigration that do that.<BR>
<BR><BR>Agreed, but if you recall the process when you fly out of Swampy, Immigration does its thing and then staples the departure card to the boarding pass, both of which are collected by airline staff as you board, presumably the departure card is then passed back to Immigration for, ahem, safe keeping! It was on the basis of all that why I couldn't understand the scenario presented by the OP.<BR>
<BR>But this is what happend. I still have the exit card nd the exit stamp is missing. I also emailed the thai immigration. The answer is: we might have a problem. We need to enter the same border when we left. A IMM Officer will solve this for us.<BR><BR><BR>

Non sense - the immigration deskofficer processes your departure ONLINE when you stand in fron tof him/her, he/she then staples the departure card to the boarding pass (the peice kept by the airline) and gives you back your Passport and boardingpass with departure card attached. When you board your flight the airline staff tear of there peice of the Boarding pass with departure card attached and you keep your part of the boardingpass.

I have left Thailand from Swampy & Phuket on many occasions, and my departure card has always been taken by immigration, and not given back to me, Immigration have never even asked for my bording pass. I just had over my passport he does his business and thats it, im given my passport back only! Non Sense they give it back!!!

I fly out of BKK approximately every month, and each time, the immigration officer keeps the departure card. Unlike other countries, it is not stapled to the boarding pass for the airline to hand it back to immigration.

I cannot imagine a scenario in which the immigration officer forgot to take the card or stamp the passport, but maybe it was very early in the morning or very late in the evening. I have learned to never rule anything out. As tourists, you might not be aware of the procedures and that you have to actually look into the passport to ensure that the stamp is there, but you are indeed responsible if there is a mistake.

If the immigration officer didn't take the card, it is possible that he also didn't enter the departure into the computer. And this is what makes the difference: If the departure is in the computer, all is fine. If not, there will be trouble. This is where I have to admit that I never heard of a case where this happened. In fact, if she is still in the computer as being in Thailand, she must be arrested for overstay when found - even if she is found while entering the country. Because then, it means that she left the country illegally. And that spells trouble.

You don't know what the computer says, and whether the nice immigration officer at departure updated it to show that she left. But that is the important part, I believe.

Embassies are under the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, while immigration is under the Ministry of the Interior. Therefore, and to make matters worse, I don't even think the Thai embassy in Vienna can help you - but then, I am not a lawyer.

Best is if she changes her name, dob, and nationality. That's not a serious advice, of course. But I would expect trouble upon arrival, and have all documents ready you can think of. Also, the Austrian embassy in Thailand is very helpful, and it may make sense to alert them in advance. If she gets arrested upon entry, the embassy will be notified anyway, so it is good to prepare them.

Gee, whenever you travel (and not only to Thailand, it's a general rule) make sure you get the passport stamped. It's really the basic ABC of travelling. But I guess you kow that by now.