The Forgotten Tourist

What happened to Paul Stone.

This man wrote in the Samui Express Letters under the title of "The forgotten tourist"

I visited Paul in prison on several occaisions last year. Paul was imprisoned for two years. His crime ........Accepting a lift in an unknownly stolen car which was stopped by the BIB, back in the UK he would have probably been given a lecture and discharged. But this is Thailand so he virtually had the chance of pleading "Not guilty" and fighting for his defence with the probable outcome of a 6 to 8 year sentence or pleading guilty and getting a definate 2 yr sentence, so he did what i would have done , plead guilty and 'cop' the 2 years. When i first met him he was already about 14 month in.

Paul was a nice, rather quiet man who was stoically getting on with his time inside. He had nothing but good words for the prison staff. Then one day he told me that because of his good behaviour he might be reccommended for early release. During his time inside Paul studied Palmystry and tells me that he used to practice on his fellow inmates. He told me that he was married to a Thai and had a child. I am now in my mid 70's and have been around this world quite having served in the Brit and Aust armed forces, from the age of 15, both with Navy and Army, so have a pretty good sense of character. I have put Paul amongst some of the best of human beings.

Then one day i visited him and he was 'gone' no one was able to tell me where, but a presumed that he was deported, this means that he will never be able to return to Thailand to his famuly. Sad is'nt it. I often wonder what happened to him and where he is now. He told me that he had a dughter in the UK.

Remy, fact is i did not know anything about visa overstay, however this is no concern of mine. Do you know him or what eventually happened, where is he . I guess there are many overstayers in los, but this does not make them bad people. Just fools chancing the odds.

Remy, fact is i did not know anything about visa overstay, however this is no concern of mine. Do you know him or what eventually happened, where is he . I guess there are many overstayers in los, but this does not make them bad people. Just fools chancing the odds.

According to the link below he has been extradited for reported "fraud and money laundering". IF he is guilty then good, but I suppose that has to be proved first. This "nice, rather quiet man" could well have been someone involved in numerous scams on innocent people around the world (boiler room operation?). I admit that I have no idea of any facts apart from what is shown in the link. However, if he is guilty I hope he gets what is coming to him and that if he is innocent he is allowed to return to see his Thai wife and family.

The jury is out.

http://newshopper.su...oto_1454925.htm

Sorry oldsailor. He is not a fool chancing the odds. He is a criminal. Knowingly overstaying is against the law. Just because others do it - does not make it right.

Whilst your motives may be pure, perhaps he conned you too (into believing his innocence).

Edited by Tropicalevo

I've never heard of Paul Stone.

Seeing this is in the Samui section, have you got the name correct or are you talking about Paul Sloane from Sloaney's bar in Banrak?

Got me confused, you can check HERE

Seeing this is in the Samui section, have you got the name correct or are you talking about Paul Sloane from Sloaney's bar in Banrak?

That's what I was thinking at first. But if you follow one of those links they have pics and it isn't him. Coincidence though, isn't it? The similarity in names and scamming deeds?

That's what I was thinking at first. But if you follow one of those links they have pics and it isn't him. Coincidence though, isn't it? The similarity in names and scamming deeds?

We both posted the same time. Check post # 8.

Oldsailor35.

You seem to have forgotten his visa overstay, 3 or 5 years, I forget which!!

maybe he is back with a new name and identiy and plastic surgery maybe he is standing next to me. whoops !!!

I meet a black man who had been in prison. he tole me that prison changes a man. i said really how ????

he told me he used to be white .)

he was deported back to england to face criminal charges in his home country, probably sitting in the old nick as we speak.

you should be more carefull about the company you choose to keep old sailor, this guy was a con artist that robbed many people of their life savings.

Absolutely, i oculd add 1 or 10 other things aswell as what LIE mentions too..

Oldsailor35.

maybe he is back with a new name and identiy and plastic surgery maybe he is standing next to me. whoops !!!

I meet a black man who had been in prison. he tole me that prison changes a man. i said really how ????

:o

Oldsailor35.

:lol: Nice one BigC ooops :sorry::offtopic2:

• 2 weeks later...

Mmmmmmmmmmm ! i dont know, but he was known by others i know in the Bang Rak area , and he did know a lot about Bang Rak, although at the time of his arrest he had a small bar in Lamai.

he was deported back to england to face criminal charges in his home country, probably sitting in the old nick as we speak.

you should be more carefull about the company you choose to keep old sailor, this guy was a con artist that robbed many people of their life savings.

Absolutely, i oculd add 1 or 10 other things aswell as what LIE mentions too..

Who i choose to keep company with is entirely my business and not yours. However if it makes you feel contented, he was on the inside and me on the outside. Also, thats definately him in the prison pic. Thank you livingin exile, are you a school master by any chance ?

• 4 weeks later...

What happened to Paul Stone

Do you know him or what eventually happened, where is he

He's just been sentenced to more prison time... this time in the UK

PaulJohnStone_m.jpg

Paul John Stone

Car-ringer jailed after fleeing to Thailand

A businessman who fled to Thailand after his arrest for plotting a high-value car-ringing scam has been jailed for five years. Paul Stone, 46, was said by a judge at Maidstone Crown Court to be "a significant participant in a well-planned and seemingly effectively-implemented conspiracy of a sophisticated kind." Stone, together with his then business partner Owen Saunders and brother Mark Stone, sold on 20 stolen cars worth more than £400,000 to unsuspecting buyers.

Over a 14-month period the gang netted £211,074 for the cars. Prosecutor Anthony Prosser said once a vehicle had been stolen, checks would be made using Stone’s account with the HPI vehicle database to obtain details such as chassis numbers from legitimate cars of the same make and model and similar specifications. The checks enabled the conspirators to also identify whether any such cars were subject to finance agreements. The stolen vehicles were then cloned with the genuine details and sold on through publications such as Auto Trader. Buyers were also supplied with registration documents.

Stone, of Grecian Street, Maidstone, was arrested in November 2004 in a Land Rover Discovery worth £25,000 as he tried to sell it to two officers posing as buyers. Stone admitted conspiracy to convert or transfer criminal property between September 2003 and November 2004. The father-of-one was charged in March 2006 but fled to Thailand, where he was later jailed for two years for theft and fraud. After being released by the King of Thailand under an amnesty celebrating his 60 years of rule, Stone was arrested last year on an international warrant.

Continues:

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/kentonline/news/2011-1/march/29/car-ringer_jailed.aspx

Kent Online - March 29, 2011

em. i had forgotten this bloke. maybe he was going to pay the money back but just forgot or maybe he caught abneasia or maybe he could find the people that he took money from or maybe he overdosed onn extra strong mints and became mentholy ill :rolleyes:

Edited by BigC

Got me confused, you can check HERE

Similar names, but having seen the photo, this isn't Paul from Sloaney's Bar.