Horizon Bbc2 Last Night - Tsunami/phuket

zaz

A very interesting documentary last night about how forensic science has helped so much in identifying a lot of the bodies of victims of the tsunami. Virtually all of the program was devoted to operations in Phuket.

With a keen interest in anything Thai on TV and especially those places that I've been to, of which Phuket was one, I always try to make a date with the tv to watch it. Having visited Phuket before the tsunami I had made some friends, some of which I hadn't kept in touch with. Since then I have wondered many times if they're ok or not. I know some of the others survived as I was informed by one of my friends via email.

I'm coming to BKK and Koh Samui next week and after watching the program last night I feel compelled to at least make a day visit to Phuket to sort of pay my respects and also somehow see if the others are ok.

It was a very touching program which brought tears to my eyes.

Rest in peace the poor souls that lost their lives.

:o

zaz

My brother in law worked for a company that deals in fitting out soft furnishings in hotels etc, and the day after the tsunami, he went to Phuket to search for a container of goods that had gone missing - being the sort of person he is, he spent the next two weeks there, helping retrieve bodies. He is a very good hearted person, and in almost 12 years of knowing him, I have hardly ever heard him even raise his voice - he is Thai.

I know this is slightly off the topic, but related. I would very much like to have seen that doco, but being in Sydney, I didn't know about it.

Watched it with the wife. It does look like its a well coordinated effort by all the governments concerned. Amazing to think that they will probably be able to identify the vast majority of bodies a long time after the event although it has unfortunately taken the events of ethnic cleansing in Bosnia to develope the techniques demonstrated.

Edited by tso310

yeah watched it with the wife... terrible to see the damage and heartache it caused - I was in Patong and Phi Phi, having just got married, about 8 weeks before it happened.

"It was a very touching program which brought tears to my eyes.

Rest in peace the poor souls that lost their lives."

ditto

I did manage to see it, yeah. I think events like that make you feel incredibly humble, I really do feel for people who fall victim to such disasters.

Since the Tsuanami I've seen numerous documentaries of people's stories. One of my favourite's was with actor Danny Dyer on MTV a while ago. It is a contrast of Phuket post Tsunami, the obvious devastation which was inflicted, but also the spirit of the people who have dedicated so much to rebuild to area. It is well worth a watch if you get the chance.