Prices Of Food

cmjantje

My wife went to the market today for a small pack of coconut milk. We used to pay around 15 baht, later 28 (!) baht en now 40 baht!!!

No oil is available, only 1 bottle per person in Big C. Makro almost ran out. The price of B5 is the same now as normal diesel.

What in Gods name is happening to this country? I can afford it to pay these prices but the Thai that earn 200 B per day have a big problem I think?

What is your experience here in CR?

Same experience in CR as you are having. Our small Tesco is constantly out of the oil. But if you watch the news concerning oil in Thailand, you'll see why. Overall, the wife is just blown away at the recent increases. And, I just read that there is soon to be a 20% increase almost across the board in the US. It may not be as cheap to live here as it was a few years ago, but it is still a lot cheap than other places. I cannot imagine how some of the pensioners are getting by in the old countries. Sad stuff, all the way around. And sadder still, as the story almost always goes, the actual people who produce the goods aren't getting the increase for their labors or investments.

Same here in the UK, the price of everything's going up, and people's wages (apart from mine) are going down! Benefit's, hospitals, schools, defence budget, all cut. Taxes on fuel, VAT, income, all up.

I do feel for anyone who was struggling anyway before these price hikes, tough times ahead!

Floods; Droughts and speculators taking advantage.

The next global Crisis could well be food. the Thais on 200 baht a day probably need to start growing some more food crops instead of Fuel Crops.

whats Bio-diesel like for Cooking or Rubber sap ? :D

With the uprisings in the Muslim countries and the deaths involved in possibly trying to make a living , it will quite possibly all end up in civil war everywhere. Food prices are the latest hitting here but with other countries around the world being affected , what is the solution ? If there is no solution what will the result be ? I hate to think.

I mentioned on a previous post about the Thais in my village complaining about the cost of EVERYTHING and not knowing where they are going to get the money when work is short at the moment etc. My Old Age Pension is being eaten slowly away here , its no longer the cheap place to live.

An interesting post from someone who questioned the wisdom of farang who build or buy houses they could never "own".

As a house "owner" who is also on a fixed income I have more control over my monthly outgoings; I can leave the car in the shed and get the bus into town, settle for instant noodles for lunch more often and make the mrs turn the lights off after she's finished in a room, but a rent bill is a much bigger hurdle.

To be honest I haven't noticed an abnormally high increase in the cost of living, apart from my car my major expense would be the power bill, which has maybe gone up 300B a month in six or seven years.

A sure indicator is the fact that the mrs still manages to save money on the pittance I allow her each month to run the house with little more than the most basic moaning.

I can leave the car in the shed and get the bus into town, settle for instant noodles for lunch more often and make the mrs turn the lights off after she's finished in a room...

... the mrs still manages to save money on the pittance I allow her each month to run the house with little more than the most basic moaning.

Geez, you sound like a right catch! Party house! :blink:

Higher food prices were bound to happen, when substantial amounts of corn (gasohol) and palm oil (bio diesel) are diverted from food to fuel. More demand, less food supplies will lead to higher prices.

Higher food prices were part of the spark that ignited the Tunsian/Egyptian revolts. The Chinese are taking notes and trying to damp down their domestic inflation.

We live in interesting times... :D

I mentioned on a previous post about the Thais in my village complaining about the cost of EVERYTHING and not knowing where they are going to get the money when work is short at the moment etc. My Old Age Pension is being eaten slowly away here , its no longer the cheap place to live.

An interesting post from someone who questioned the wisdom of farang who build or buy houses they could never "own".

As a house "owner" who is also on a fixed income I have more control over my monthly outgoings; I can leave the car in the shed and get the bus into town, settle for instant noodles for lunch more often and make the mrs turn the lights off after she's finished in a room, but a rent bill is a much bigger hurdle.

To be honest I haven't noticed an abnormally high increase in the cost of living, apart from my car my major expense would be the power bill, which has maybe gone up 300B a month in six or seven years.

A sure indicator is the fact that the mrs still manages to save money on the pittance I allow her each month to run the house with little more than the most basic moaning.

Nice to know your comfortable , but what about the poor Thais ?

If the lot who live around me were anymore comfortable you would hear them snoring in Chiang Mai.

If the lot who live around me were anymore comfortable you would hear them snoring in Chiang Mai.

:D :D :D

• 2 weeks later...

Who the hell lives in Thailand and can't spell Thai. I mean, "Tai" works, but is a bit short of accepted!

Now, I know picking on spelling errors can be pedantic, but come on... :whistling:

You sound like my mother!

Who the hell lives in Thailand and can't spell Thai. I mean, "Tai" works, but is a bit short of accepted!

Now, I know picking on spelling errors can be pedantic, but come on... :whistling:

You sound like my mother!

If I was your mother I would be telling you to cover your boobs up and stop bouncing them around everywhere like a whooore! (and of course correcting your spelling, like any good mother would... :jap:)