Dogs

12DrinkMore

How do you deal with these bloody dogs?

Just went for a pleasant ride and then suddenly a herd of five dogs came rushing out of a driveway. I got off and hurled stones at them and then an old bitch came out and I exchanged a few "pleasantries" with the cow.

I might buy a compressed air powered BB gun and shoot the bastards in the eyes.

I think you'll find it's 'pack' of dogs. laugh.gif

But I do feel for you- dogs seem to hate bikes and in the soi outside my house cyclists get chased up and down all day by the dogs of my neighbour who selfishly lets them out, (Not to mention they harass my dogs at their own gate).

In the villages and places where i use to ride outside pattaya i use to carry a stick across my bars.but after talking to others,was told to slow down when they come at you,or chase them on your bike,as i do,,,the natural instint of an annimal is to chase what runs,since doing the above never had a prob and never carry a stick,but i did love them coming up to me and wacking them on the nose.

cat

In the villages and places where i use to ride outside pattaya i use to carry a stick across my bars.but after talking to others,was told to slow down when they come at you,or chase them on your bike,as i do,,,the natural instint of an annimal is to chase what runs,since doing the above never had a prob and never carry a stick,but i did love them coming up to me and wacking them on the nose.

cat

Correct i own a few dogs that walk free (half an hour then they come back and i lock the gate). If someone is afraid or starts running it will attract dogs. If you just slow down and stop nothing will happen. I am lucky that my dogs never chase motorcycles or cycles (only my motorcycle). Also the moment i hear barking im out to check what they are barking at (if they walk free in front of the house).

Just stand your ground and you will be fine.

Well for what it’s worth, this is what I do; now I mainly ride in the dirt, but it works ok on any surface. When you spy these little fecker….You know, the one’s that are going to make a play for your leg, try and build a little more speed, when these feckers are within 2 or 3 feet, (wait till you see the whites of there eyes) lock up the back wheel, (works better on dirt) it scars the shit out of them, they will stop or even back off allowing you to haul to safety. Don’t lock up till you come to a stop, just a jab of the brake will have the desired affect………. And make it the rear one…Yer!

Got a bunch of the buggers around here on the backwoods trails and small backroads (Donsak, Surat Thani). Main highway seems to be OK (mostly cos they get run over if they stray onto it!) which is where almost all the local Thai riders do their early morning training runs. The worst ones around here seem to be the resident dogs at the rubber-tapper huts.

Usually slowing down and yelling "PAI" as menacingly as possible seems to work. Slowing down, especially cadence also seems to work - the buggers seem to like the spinning legs?? Have also tried aiming directly for them - seems to work most of the time. But I never get off the bike!

Have been checking some of the websites in US and UK re this problem; there is one company that makes a (high pitch??) sound device that appears to work (Sound Defense), but the product does not yet appear to have reached the market. Along similar lines saw a high Db bike mounted (re-charge-able) air-horn the other day (forgot to book mark it!).

In the US favourite seems to be pepper spray and in particular a product called 'HALT' which was devised to protect the postal delivery guys from the little (& BIG) feckers. That was something I've been thinking to try here. Plenty of recipes on-line for home made pepper spray and a small water pistol would make the ideal delivery method. And let's face it - the main ingredients are readily available. Whilst (I understand) pepper spray is illegal in Thailand I am sure that home-made for the afore mentioned usage would be tolerated. The big advantage with PS is that it only temporarily blinds the dogs (if you get them in the eye) and is also very effective anywhere around the nose area. Effects wear off after around 30-40 mins. Seems that after being hit once the dogs remember (e.g. Pavlov's Dog experiments) and are thence wary of approaching bikes. Anyhow, will post some results as I get round to it.

Found the link to the air horn and remember why I found it - it is called the 'Samui' Air Horn. Link Here

Not sure how the loud noise would work against dogs - if they are anything like their masters probably either stone deaf or immune to the 'wall of sound' pervading over most of the country; speaker trucks, motocy exhausts, firecrackers, Supermarkets, etc.

Sorry but I posted my earlier reply to this topic in haste, I didn’t realize “dog” was code for man eating killer beasts.

Dose no one understand the basics of dog world? When a dog belong to a family of people, the dogs loyalty to this pack will be very strong, and his position in the pack will near always be lower in the pecking order, his/her duty will be that of: Guard and defender of the pack, the dog will do what he can to remove any perceived threat to the pack. Fact is he is more afraid of you than you are of him! Pepper spray, small water pistol, air-horn, and chocolate, particularly the dark variety, Ha ha. You don’t need any of this; play on the dog’s fear of what you are and your unpredictability, dogs will only attack physically, (untrained that is) when they think they have the upper hand, and your no longer unpredictably to them.

But I have some more ideas, (as keep it simple just isn’t in Thaivisa, is it; how about getting three or four guys, coat there legs in beef dripping and make them go out and run in the area your going to ride 20 minutes before you set off. How about riding in an ATO suite, (Ammunition Technician Officers) it’s a bomb disposal suite, or make friends with the biggest baddest dog on the block, you could give him a cross bar, and scream “kill” when some mutt out on the trail give you a dirty look!

Ok, I’m taking the piss, just a little, I’ve been bitten, well, just nipped really, only the once and yer it dose shake you up a little. That was over two years ago, still riding now, and since I started doing what I said in my last post…I’m bite free.

Post advocating killing dogs and linking to a website removed from view, no matter how much you may dislike the animals please remember they have a place in this world as well.

Anymore of this killing none sense will be greeted with suspensions.

I just ignore the barking dogs and keep riding, calmly. They're usually all bark and no bite.

Aggravating them with rocks, sticks, sprays, kung fool, etc will just bring more dogs and maybe dog owners and escalate the chaos.

• 3 months later...

I just ignore the barking dogs and keep riding, calmly. They're usually all bark and no bite.

Aggravating them with rocks, sticks, sprays, kung fool, etc will just bring more dogs and maybe dog owners and escalate the chaos.

Easiest thing is to squirt your water bottle at them. They then run away as dogs don't like to be squirted with water.

I never have had a problem with dogs casing me in a car or on a bike. I thank they can tell someone who they take as a threat.:whistling:

That's probably because they have not learned to drive or ride a bike yet. When they do, be careful, be very careful!! :D

my partner was chased (very bad pun - hounded?) off the road into a deep ditch by two large size dogs this afternoon; I was riding about 50-80m behind and it all happened very quickly, they rushed from a property on opposite side of the road. Hurt her hand/wrist in the fall, very shaken but ok. She had tried to out-run them, and they were very aggressive and didn't back off.

One of our regular cycle routes, never seen dogs there before. Not a good experience; there would not have been time for a stick, water-bottle, deer whistle or automatic machine gun.

I was cornered by 2 dogs within the last two weeks while out running, one a nasty tempered 3-legged black labrador-cross (very cross).

Owner yelled at them and they backed off.

Really does ruin my run, or cycle, when this happens.

Have no answers, and if I keep changing routes I'll have nowhere to go..

my partner was chased (very bad pun - hounded?) off the road into a deep ditch by two large size dogs this afternoon; I was riding about 50-80m behind and it all happened very quickly, they rushed from a property on opposite side of the road. Hurt her hand/wrist in the fall, very shaken but ok. She had tried to out-run them, and they were very aggressive and didn't back off.

One of our regular cycle routes, never seen dogs there before. Not a good experience; there would not have been time for a stick, water-bottle, deer whistle or automatic machine gun.

I was cornered by 2 dogs within the last two weeks while out running, one a nasty tempered 3-legged black labrador-cross (very cross).

Never forget, the little darlings "have their place in this world".

My suggestions on how to get them to that place met a certain amount of disapproval post-4641-1156693976.gifand would result in 1zgarz5.gif1zgarz5.gif so I'm not going there again.

I am pleased to say that I now have a couple of decent routes where dogs no longer rush out at me.smile.gif

Edited by 12DrinkMore

The dogs were here before your tricycle and you in arse clinging spandex.

That doesn't give them any right whatsoever to rush out onto a public road at cars, cyclists, pedestrians or motorcyclists.

And I would not be seen dead in spandex, nor one of those plastic lids which are probably as useless as they look, nor gloves, nor special shoes nor carry the obligatory water bottle nor ride around in organised groups.

Nope, just like my exercise around the local roads.

And I fail to see why it should be spoiled by a <deleted> untrained canine.

Edited by 12DrinkMore

You were riding just 50-80m behind your "partner" and could not put the dogs attention on YOU???

When I'm out on the bike with my beloved wife and a situation like this occurs, I would be too ashamed to mention ( joking about ) it on the internet...

Even when I'm 200 meters ahead and not turning around for her rescue, would make me feel ashamed.

You were riding just 50-80m behind your "partner" and could not put the dogs attention on YOU???

When I'm out on the bike with my beloved wife and a situation like this occurs, I would be too ashamed to mention ( joking about ) it on the internet...

Even when I'm 200 meters ahead and not turning around for her rescue, would make me feel ashamed.

I think you're very harsh with that criticism.

These things happen very very quickly. The dogs were probably totally focused on his partner's bike and the whole thing would be over in just a couple of seconds, at least by being a few meters behind he was able to quickly be on the scene.

Riding 200 meters ahead I wonder just how much further you would have ridden before you realised that your partner was lying in a ditch? How often do you look behind to check on whether she is still upright? Every minute, five minutes, ten minutes, maybe not until you get back home? And please don't say you would have heard her scream, 200 meters away and travelling at any speed above 15 km/hr the wind noise is far too great. (You're hopefully not plugged into an MP3 player)

By riding a few meters behind his partner I would say that he was showing great consideration, keeping a constant eye on her and riding at her pace. On the other hand you seem to be selfishly racing ahead at your speed, which is too fast for your partner, and certainly not paying the same level of attention to your partner as Atmos.

Glass houses and stones.

Edited by 12DrinkMore

I usally just ignore the dogs, don't even look at them. Often when you're out of their territory they're leaving you alone anyway, it's not worth the trouble.

But if they keep barking, biting and are getting closer, I find that keeping up speed and then suddenly hit the brakes and making growling sounds surprises these dogs enough to make them think twice before trying again. This works for both barking dogs and those that are approaching silently (and are really more dangerous). Sometimes when they come too close I kick towards the head.

Only once I had to actually get off the bike, pick up my bike and use it as a shield in front of me, moving the bike back and forth. After a while I was able to get back on the bike and get away. This was on the beach near Hua Hin and 4 dogs were working together, circling, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Try the "Law of Attraction", which I believe rules the universe. If you give agro to the dogs that is exactly what you get back; try send love out and see what happens. I had a great experience a couple of weeks back- going slowly up a hill a couple of dogs zoom out from under a food vendor stand- I spoke in quiet tones telling them to be happy and they slowed right down. As I continued up the hill I heard the locals: "they didn't attack him" "no,he doesn't sound like the others" "yea, he is not noisy".

Made my day!

I have ridden 40,000+ km in LOS, before onroad now mostly off. Previously occasionally picked up sticks, stones, etc as defensive weapons, never with happy results.

By the bye, the Law of Attraction also works driving a car- amazing results, much less stress and a happier drive.

Let's make the world a better place!!

I usally just ignore the dogs, don't even look at them. Often when you're out of their territory they're leaving you alone anyway, it's not worth the trouble.

But if they keep barking, biting and are getting closer, I find that keeping up speed and then suddenly hit the brakes and making growling sounds surprises these dogs enough to make them think twice before trying again. This works for both barking dogs and those that are approaching silently (and are really more dangerous). Sometimes when they come too close I kick towards the head.

Only once I had to actually get off the bike, pick up my bike and use it as a shield in front of me, moving the bike back and forth. After a while I was able to get back on the bike and get away. This was on the beach near Hua Hin and 4 dogs were working together, circling, etc.

Try the "Law of Attraction", which I believe rules the universe. If you give agro to the dogs that is exactly what you get back; try send love out and see what happens. I had a great experience a couple of weeks back- going slowly up a hill a couple of dogs zoom out from under a food vendor stand- I spoke in quiet tones telling them to be happy and they slowed right down. As I continued up the hill I heard the locals: "they didn't attack him" "no,he doesn't sound like the others" "yea, he is not noisy".

Made my day!

I have ridden 40,000+ km in LOS, before onroad now mostly off. Previously occasionally picked up sticks, stones, etc as defensive weapons, never with happy results.

By the bye, the Law of Attraction also works driving a car- amazing results, much less stress and a happier drive.

Interesting angle there Mike, worth a try I guess - nothing ventured nothing gained. Will give it a shot this afternoon on my long Saturday ride, usually one or two dogs to contend with and covering some new ground today. Let's see......

Good Luck!!

I hope it works for you as well as it has for me.

Made my day!

Interesting angle there Mike, worth a try I guess - nothing ventured nothing gained. Will give it a shot this afternoon on my long Saturday ride, usually one or two dogs to contend with and covering some new ground today. Let's see......

There was a UBC channel the other day about dog psychology.

Dogs are pack animals and need a leader. Never look an aggressive dog in the eye, this makes you a challenger and the situation worse, ignore the bastards and turn your back on them. Assert yourself and behave like the leader, put them in their place.

Might be a good idea to also have a stick to poke their dam_n eyes out.mad.gifmad.gif

The guy on the TV said the "love thing" just makes them more uncontrollable, as then they have won and are the masters.

But if it works for you......

My current tactic is to accelerate like fuc_k and ride straight at 'em, no eye contact. So far this has worked, they get out of the way.