Immigration'S 24 Minute Promise At Suvarnabhumi

bubba

Just a reality check here, a flashback to June of last year, and promises that were never kept by the Royal Thai Police, Immigration Division.

Twenty four minute promise

June 25, 2010 by Rapeepat Mantanarat

BANGKOK 25 June, 2010 – Royal Thai Police, Immigration Division II debuts with what it calls DT-24 (Departure Team 24 Minutes) an effort that promises departing passengers a maximum queue time of 24 minutes to get stamped out of the country.

Suvarnabhumi Airport director, Niran Theeranartsin, added that the airport would expand the floor space of security check areas that are currently behind the departure immigration zones. It is now in the design process.

The project will cost about Bt40 million and the changes should be in place by the fourth quarter of this year.

http://www.ttrweekly.com/site/2010/06/twenty-four-minute-promise/

So we're halfway through the first quarter of 2011, immigration waiting time can go upwards of two hours and all signs are that things are not getting any better. What happened to that 24 minute promise? And what happened to that Bt40M?

I think he meant 24 minutes per passenger, so pretty much on target.

You're so bad (as usual).

I drove a friend to the airport recently. Due to his delay (not mine nor traffic) we arrived at the airport an hour before scheduled departure. As he was flying TG and interrnationally, I suggested he would need 30 minuters to check in and and another 30 minutes to get through immigration, so he will surely miss hs flight. I asked to call me when I should pick him up again.

A mere 30 miniutes after I had dropped him off, he called me and said he was boarding. Dunno how he did it.

1 hour is just on target for BKK just as any other intl. airport. No need to waste more time there. Do your online checkin from home & simply use 5min to drop your bags & then ~20min to pass through the 'security' circus!

No surprise there mister :)

I think he meant 24 minutes per passenger, so pretty much on target.

You're so bad (as usual).

I drove a friend to the airport recently. Due to his delay (not mine nor traffic) we arrived at the airport an hour before scheduled departure. As he was flying TG and interrnationally, I suggested he would need 30 minuters to check in and and another 30 minutes to get through immigration, so he will surely miss hs flight. I asked to call me when I should pick him up again.

A mere 30 miniutes after I had dropped him off, he called me and said he was boarding. Dunno how he did it.

1 hour is just on target for BKK just as any other intl. airport. No need to waste more time there. Do your online checkin from home & simply use 5min to drop your bags & then ~20min to pass through the 'security' circus!

No surprise there mister :)

Yes, surprise. Have you ever been to Suvarnabhumi? You sound like you haven't.

I went out on Thursday (24 Feb) and it took 55 minutes to get through Immigration. I fly out through Survanabhumi at least 2 times a month and the waiting time has continued to increase since they announced the "24 minute" policy. It is almost like the passport checkers are trying to go against whoever set the target. It was much better before they have any announce targets. Maybe they should consider revoking the policy and see if it goes back to normal.

I am guessing the bulk 40 million invested into this "project" went into someones pocket as is usual with "projects" in Thailand. I thought it was funny that the only place I noticed the new "24 Minutes" sign was AFTER I passed through the passport counter and before Security. I guess if they put the commitment at the front door too many people will complain......

post-71186-0-00616600-1298869440_thumb.j

We are sometimes reminded that are guests here, anyone who doesn't think it's run as well as it could be is free to go home ... except for those Immigration-queues on-departure.

:lol:

I actually think it's a dastardly plan to get overstay fines out of people.

" You. You. You have one week overstay. You pay fine now."

" Shit mate. When I joined this queue my visa didn't expire for 10 days"

:D