Gay Insensitive Or Over-sensitive Remarks

wowpow

"English man handcuffed and gagged at gunpoint inside his Jomtien home.

A disturbing case now from the Egmonkon Village in Soi Chayapreuk in Jomtien. Police were called to house number 453/15 which is owned by Mr Richard Jones aged 60 from England who lives with his long term boyfriend known as Khun O aged 33. On Tuesday morning, two men rang his door bell and claimed to be air-conditioning technicians. They informed the man they were here to service his air-con units. Without notice they forced their way into the house and one of the men produced a gun and told Mr Jones to hand over the valuables. He initially resisted the two men and was subsequently pistol-whipped by the gunmen. He was then handcuffed and tape was placed over his mouth. He then watched as his house was ransacked by the two assailants. Eventually neighbors heard the commotion and alerted the Police. A total of 100,000 bahts worth of cash and valuables were taken as Mr. Jones helplessly looked on. Police believe than an ex boyfriend of the man may be involved in the case but are still hunting for clues in this case of armed robbery. For now, as a precaution we urge viewers who stay in a house to exercise extreme caution when dealing with anyone who comes into your property.

Pattaya City News

Tuesday 6th September 2005."

This article and the remarks that followed have caused quite a debate in the Thaivisa Pattaya Forum.

Is a link allowed? http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=44150

My impression is that it's a hurricane in a demi-tasse.

Edited by wowpow

Depressing thread - and mostly from local Brits. As if I needed another reason for avoiding Pattaya.........  :o

I'm a Brit and have lived in Pattaya for 2.5 years and haven't had a problem apart from one incident involving an Arab in Tops!

Whats your problem with Pattaya and where do you live?

Depressing thread - and mostly from local Brits. As if I needed another reason for avoiding Pattaya.........  :o

I'm a Brit and have lived in Pattaya for 2.5 years and haven't had a problem apart from one incident involving an Arab in Tops!

Whats your problem with Pattaya and where do you live?

I stand reproved - in that I shouldn't be tarring a whole town with from-a-distance snapshot perceptions. But I did find the bulk of the remarks depressingly insensitive and the bulk of those apparently from Brits - hence my comment.

I see that there's a new news item about a 73-year old German being killed during a Pattaya burglary; interesting to see how the posted responses to that incident will develop.

For the record I'm soon to live in Chiang Mai and I'm a Brit.

I just followed the link to the other thread. I mentioned that I am pretty hardened to remarks, but that thread is very depressing. I mean, that poor guy who got robbed and gets those kind of posts.

It's not about gay-straight--it's more about some really inhuman people posting remarks.

Sad, very, very sad.

I just followed the link to the other thread.  I mentioned that I am pretty hardened to remarks, but that thread is very depressing.  I mean, that poor guy who got robbed and gets those kind of posts. 

It's not about gay-straight--it's more about some really inhuman people posting remarks. 

Sad, very, very sad.

I've been on web, usenet and bbs forums for almost 18yrs now, and that's just par for the course. People feel less worried about their manners when there's no physical contact involved. :D Talk radio is another good example. :o

cv