Tempting Fate And Repelling Snakes

MJP

Literally an hour after I'd just said to F1fanatic that we'd never had any snakes in this house . . . guess what? Yes, that's right an angry cobra slithers into my bedroom.

It's dead now.

Thankfully. :jap:

So two questions,

1. Tempting fate - anyone believe this because it always happens to me, like premonitions. Get this a lot, like when the truck engine blew up last time.

2. Any electronic snake repelling devices that work to stop these deadly pests coming anywhere near the house?

There is no known snake repellent. Usually heavy vibration will deter snakes...make of that what you will.....

It's a shame you had to kill the snake. They can usually be easily removed - even cobras - by using a long stick such as a broom handle to pin the snake down then CAREFULLY picking it up behind the head. Even if you don't fancy the job yourself, in my experience of Thailand there is usually someone on hand who has experience of snakes who will get rid for you.

When you're over run with rats you'll be praying for a cobra or two in the neighbourhood.

Bad idea to even try and pick up a cobra or any snake if you don't know what you're doing. Even the crazy South African dude on the nature programs who is always discovering some rare and dangerous viper, gets bitten.

One method that does seem to work in Thailand, comes from a tv forum. Mothballs thrown around the garden seems to keep them at bay. We have a few sightings each year of the small thin snake with the red marking behind the head. A keelback I think, venomous but not too dangerous. But this is the dry time, and the breeding season, so keep doors shut.

like Heavydrinker said, it's too bad you had to kill the snake... but understandable. We don't really want venomous snakes around residential areas. The snakes really are helpful in elimenating other pests. But, somethings like mothballs DO work. Snakes won't stay in areas where there is no food available. They'll move on to more suitable areas for their life style... available food supply, close to some sort of water supply and protection in the form of wild places. Humans keep removing the wild places.

Unfortunately, with all the construction going on without any environmental standards it is no wonder that snakes are being displaced into residential areas. They CAN be removed without killing them and a few unsatisfactory situations with humans WILL make snakes relocate. They are actually quite smart critters. King cobras are VERY smart and do have the power of reasoning.

A simple tube with a loop fastener can be used to pick up snakes. A broom is pretty good at steering snakes away from hidey holes within the home. Just use a little precaution and you will be okay. I've picked up many live cobras by the tail and feel confident in doing so, but I wouldn't recommend anyone else try it.

Good job killing the snake. :thumbsup:

Anyone who tries to pick up a cobra is nuts. Maybe you could get a mongoose to do your snake killing for you

Working from your point of view is why so many of nature's critters are on the endangered list in their home countries. Elephants, rhinos, the dangerous cats, wolves, bears, sharks, and ALL species of snakes are in serious decline.

Right, I've done some research.

First, I shall make one of these . . . nice little project.

Bits of rope and water pipe

Second, this stuff really pisses them off, acts as repellent. As demonstrated by some poor sap lunatic on YouTube.

listerine%20to%20treat%20nail%20fungus.jpg

Thirdly, I've ordered this set up on ebay.

Bomb-Disposal-Suit-BD2010-.jpg

Lottery? Never played it, here or anywhere. But I get this all time, I know somethings going to happen before it does. Irritating. Nothing comes as a surprise.

like Heavydrinker said, it's too bad you had to kill the snake... but understandable. We don't really want venomous snakes around residential areas. The snakes really are helpful in elimenating other pests. But, somethings like mothballs DO work. Snakes won't stay in areas where there is no food available. They'll move on to more suitable areas for their life style... available food supply, close to some sort of water supply and protection in the form of wild places. Humans keep removing the wild places.

Unfortunately, with all the construction going on without any environmental standards it is no wonder that snakes are being displaced into residential areas. They CAN be removed without killing them and a few unsatisfactory situations with humans WILL make snakes relocate. They are actually quite smart critters. King cobras are VERY smart and do have the power of reasoning.

A simple tube with a loop fastener can be used to pick up snakes. A broom is pretty good at steering snakes away from hidey holes within the home. Just use a little precaution and you will be okay. I've picked up many live cobras by the tail and feel confident in doing so, but I wouldn't recommend anyone else try it.

Don't forget that some of them can spit 3 meters as well.:o Here are instructions for your snake catcher from a very good site on critters from Thailand.

http://www.siam-info...ke_catcher.html

Last go at this one. While I admit I am phobic about snakes, as I come from rural Australia, where the deadliest ones live, don't try to pick them up - especially cobras, or anything with large puffy cheeks. Professional snake handlers will all tell you that most snake bites happen this way, not by accidentally treading on one. Thai locals where we live are mostly farmers, and very aware of not touching them unless they have too.

Don't forget that some of them can spit 3 meters as well.:o Here are instructions for your snake catcher from a very good site on critters from Thailand.

http://www.siam-info...ke_catcher.html

Yes, I'm going to make two sizes. One for long reach and one for working in confined spaces.

Best solution (in the countryside)... call a neighbour. I've tried it and it always works (they eat the things).

BTW I haven't seen a cobra yet.

I did.

I went to the ex-wife.

She said 'Kill it, before it kills you'.

Noticeably with that 'Come on you snakes!!!' look in her eye. :ermm:

Best solution (in the countryside)... call a neighbour. I've tried it and it always works (they eat the things).

In my experience you cannot tell a cobra unless it is really pissed at you (translate pissed as upset and not drunk). There are many kinds of many colors and to me they just look like any other snake. My wife was chasing one of these common looking things with a rake a while back and after three wakks the snake reared up about two feet and expanded it's hood. Scared the stuff out of both of us and we ran like hell. Before the aggression of my wife the snake showed no interest in us and actually tried to slink away. I can't blame the snake - I get the same way when my wife comes after me with the rake!

In my experience you cannot tell a cobra unless it is really pissed at you (translate pissed as upset and not drunk). There are many kinds of many colors and to me they just look like any other snake. My wife was chasing one of these common looking things with a rake a while back and after three wakks the snake reared up about two feet and expanded it's hood. Scared the stuff out of both of us and we ran like hell. Before the aggression of my wife the snake showed no interest in us and actually tried to slink away. I can't blame the snake - I get the same way when my wife comes after me with the rake!

Sat bolt upright on my bed I was minded of that scene in the film Jaws. 'It's gone under the boat. It's gone under the boat!'

jaws%20comin%20out%20the%20water.jpg

Looked at me with mild contempt, gave a couple of yawning hisses then disappeared under a shelving unit.

In 2005 I was spending three days mountain biking in Ratchaburi province and I had a near miss with a snake.

I was hurling along a track between paddy fields when a snake suddenly shot out and I was unable to avoid going over it.

It struck me on my right calf, but fortunately for me it did not break the skin.

Later on that evening I called my wife and she told me she had been to get our horoscopes read and much to my astonishment she said that one of the main points of my horoscope was that I needed to be very careful for "snakes".

Well to this day I have not told my wife of the incidents that day.

This may sound funny: I used to live in Rattlesnake-Country in Arizona (US) for quite a few years: As long as I had free roaming pigs on my property I have never seen a snake on the property. As soon as I got rid of the pigs I had frequent snake-visitors. Probably: Some of the roaming pigs are always on the move (Rooting). This my create enough ground-vibrations that snakes don't like and therefore stay away.

I realise, this might not be the solution for someone that lives in a condominium in the middle of town!

Or: The trapper in Alaska: "I made a deal with the Bears": if you don't bite me, I won't bite you !"

Cheers.

Right, I've done some research.

First, I shall make one of these . . . nice little project.

Bits of rope and water pipe

Second, this stuff really pisses them off, acts as repellent. As demonstrated by some poor sap lunatic on YouTube.

listerine%20to%20treat%20nail%20fungus.jpg

Thirdly, I've ordered this set up on ebay.

Bomb-Disposal-Suit-BD2010-.jpg

Lottery? Never played it, here or anywhere. But I get this all time, I know somethings going to happen before it does. Irritating. Nothing comes as a surprise.

How comfy is that to sleep in? I might get one. I bet you can still smell the listerine through the mask though :)

I did.

I went to the ex-wife.

She said 'Kill it, before it kills you'.

Noticeably with that 'Come on you snakes!!!' look in her eye. :ermm:

:lol:

Seriously, it would have freaked me out completely! A cobra in my bedroom? No thanks, still, some of the suggestions as to how to prevent it may be worse! I don't fancy living with a mongoose, although I'm now looking up the Thai word for it so's I have a new 'chue len' for Ms Tastic :)

I like the free range pigs idea, but again, cons outweigh the pros I think.

Edit: found 'pang pon' as the Thai for mongoose, although I may decide to use the Latin 'herpestes javanicus' just to confuse her :D

Edited by bifftastic

Exactly what I did and it was a Cobra. Unfortunately it was killed, but the guy did eat it.

jb1

There is no known snake repellent. Usually heavy vibration will deter snakes...make of that what you will.....

It's a shame you had to kill the snake. They can usually be easily removed - even cobras - by using a long stick such as a broom handle to pin the snake down then CAREFULLY picking it up behind the head. Even if you don't fancy the job yourself, in my experience of Thailand there is usually someone on hand who has experience of snakes who will get rid for you.

When you're over run with rats you'll be praying for a cobra or two in the neighbourhood.

Yes there is, spread some camphor balls around your house and in your garden and they will help keep them at bay.. Sorry to hear you had to kill it but better that then doing something so silly as trying to catch it yourself and remove it if you have nothing short of professional handling experience and proper tools. I have years of handling snakes and reptiles and still wouldn't take chances with something as potentially deadly as a Cobra..

I forgot to add that a Cobra can strike twice it's body length so maybe as much as 2 to 3 meters which is a lot longer then the average broom stick or mop handle :whistling: ...

Edited by WarpSpeed