When Is Effective Start Date Of Non-Immigration "O" Multi Entry Visa?

Hello everyone!

This is really a rudimentary question. I tried the "search" function with no luck. :unsure:

I will be arriving to Thailand from USA on 1st April in about 5 weeks from now.

I will be making an application and have been assured by the Thai Consulate I have contacted I can receive a 1 year multiple entry Non-Immigration Type "O" Visa.

I want to send in my application, fee, photo, etc. this coming week via FedEx.

The Thai Consulate will receive it on or about Wednesday 23rd this month February.

My question is is this.

When does the 1 year period for this visa begin? think2.gif

The date it is entered into system in USA by Thai Consulate on February 23rd?

Or is it day #1 of my physical arrival into Thailand - April 1st?

I've been told by another fellow who used this same Thai Consulate the 1 year period starts when the visa is entered.

WTF.gif

Then there's what the Thai Consulate actually wrote me.

I'm all confused. ohno.gif

Can someone please give me a definitive answer on this? think.gif

I would prefer to take care of this ASAP this next week so I have one less worry. I want to get this out of the way.

Again, I apologize for such a "newbie" like question, but I am a newbie! smashf.gif

Here is what the Thai consulate actually wrote to me:

I will date the visa when it is entered. The one year period begins the day you arrive in the Kingdom.

There will be 2 dates on your Visa

1 when issued & 1 when it expires (or has to be used before)

When you arrive into Thailand you will be given 90 days and be given 90 days every subsequent time before the expiry date. Therefore you have to do visa runs every 90th day and receive a new 90 days when you arrive back into country

If you come into Thailand the day before expiry you will also be given 90 days therefore in effect can gain 15 months useage from this visa

Check your dates and use accordingly :jap:

The one year period begins the day you arrive in the Kingdom.

Most awesome, my brother!

wwwMessenToolscom-tv-series-cine-the-simpsons-064.gif?t=1298134675

Yes & No - If you buy an O visa and do not use immeadiately then the validity of that visa shortens due to the expiry date - in this case not much difference, but I have seen someone buy visa and not use for 4 months therefore in effect could only use part year (if that makes sense cos Leo taking effect) :lol:

Edited by terak69

There will be 2 dates on your Visa

1 when issued & 1 when it expires (or has to be used before)

When you arrive into Thailand you will be given 90 days and be given 90 days every subsequent time before the expiry date. Therefore you have to do visa runs every 90th day and receive a new 90 days when you arrive back into country

If you come into Thailand the day before expiry you will also be given 90 days therefore in effect can gain 15 months useage from this visa

Check your dates and use accordingly :jap:

You, sir, are the DA BOMB with this detailed reply.

good-news-175.gif?t=1298134941

I really appreciate it!

you-rock.gif?t=1298135074

Yes & No - If you buy an O visa and do not use immeadiately then the validity of that visa shortens due to the expiry date - in this case not much difference, but I have seen someone buy wisa and not use for 4 months therefore in effect could only use part year (if that makes sense cos Leo taking effect) :lol:

Ugggh! This is where I am confused. slaping.gif?t=1298135329

I guess my question morphs into this.

Should I wait closer to my departure date to make my application? think2.gif

I don't want to lose any time if I file my application this coming week.

I want this visa to allow me mulitple entries for at least 1 full year - April 1st 2011 to March 31, 2012.

If I leave on or about March 30, 2012 and return say 1 week later on April 6th, I would presume I can tack on another 3 months until June 30, 2012. Is this feasible? think2.gif

Perhaps I need a Leo to help me sort things out! :lol:

homer_simpson31.jpg?t=1298135953leo-beer.jpg?t=1298136081

...Should I wait closer to my departure date to make my application? think2.gif...

Yes, if you want to get the longest possible stay in Thailand out of it.

The multiple-entry non-O visa is valid for an unlimited number of entries into Thailand from the date of issue of the visa until one day before the "must be utilized before date". You will see these two dates stamped on the visa. On each arrival in Thailand, you will receive permission to stay for 90 days.

See also this information on the immigration website: What does the visa expiration date mean?

See below what difference it can make whether the visa is issued on 27 FEB 2011 or 20 MAR 2011.

post-21260-0-94060900-1298142152_thumb.g

Thank you so very much for providing me with this chart. It is invaluable, and really shows me that I need to make my application on or about 20th March!

I know you put some work into it for me. I really don't know how to repay except say THANKS! handshake.gif?t=1298143471

If you're in BKK, I would love to buy you a beer after I've settled in.

bottoms-up.gif?t=1298143282

Edited by MikeOKitches

Apples and oranges and we don't know which you are getting. There is a non immigrant O and a non immigrant O-A visa. The O-A provides a one year stay from date of entry (as the Consulate seems to have told you). But a non immigrant O only provides a 90 day stay on each entry and in both cases the visa itself becomes valid from date of issue. Last entry of a multi entry visa will be one year from date of issue.

Apples and oranges and we don't know which you are getting. There is a non immigrant O and a non immigrant O-A visa. The O-A provides a one year stay from date of entry (as the Consulate seems to have told you). But a non immigrant O only provides a 90 day stay on each entry and in both cases the visa itself becomes valid from date of issue. Last entry of a multi entry visa will be one year from date of issue.

Come back into Thailand on day before O-A expiry, get another year & purchase multiple re entry or single re entry as required - :jap:

Edited by terak69

Children under 15 don't pay overstay anyways

I've read and reread this thread... Where did this answer come from? I don't see the relevance of it

is that what the difference between O type and O-A type? I saw the first few answers and saw they mentioned it was date of entry, and I know from my experience it's from date of issue. ie it expires one year minus one day after issue. what other differences are there? Maybe it's a country thing, do some countries get O and others get O-A?

I can't remember now, but when I applied I think I filled out an O form (downloaded from the thai consulate in Australia), but I made a mistake and so when I got to the embassy I got a new form and filled it out, and it was on O-A... Or it could have been the other way around (downloaded an O-A and when I got there they gave me an O.

To the OP, even if it's the "expiry" type (ie one year from issue), as terak (and I think someone else) pointed out, it's really 15 months, that is if you leave and reenter before the date of expiry because you get a further 90 days from that date.

I believe it is the non-immigrant "O." I apologize for the confusion I may have caused you.

What I'm looking for is what Maestro wrote:

The multiple-entry non-O visa is valid for an unlimited number of entries into Thailand from the date of issue of the visa until one day before the "must be utilized before date". You will see these two dates stamped on the visa. On each arrival in Thailand, you will receive permission to stay for 90 days.

I think Maestro pegged it correctly with the little chart he made for me. I'm using that as my "gameplan" so to speak. hoist.gif?t=1298224154

Z-ThailandVisa.jpg?t=1298224807

Actually, here is what the Thai Consulate here in USA wrote to my specific question on this:

..............................................................................................

1. I am cognizant of the fact that a Thai Non-Immigrant Type "O" Multi Entry 1 Year Visa mandates that I phisically leave the Kingdom of Thailand after 90 days from my initial entry. Since my initial entry will be April 1st, then 90 days hence will be June 29th. Then, when I return into Thailand , I am granted an additional 90 days. At the end of the subsequent 90 day period, I must again leave and repeat the process.

Is this correct? Please advise. Thank you.

1. Yes, you do have to leave every 90 days. Most just go across the border for a day trip.

Apparently what I am going for is the multiple entry 1 year non-immigrant type "O."

I only wanted to know when I should send in my application, fees, photo to the Thai Consulate to maximize the amount of time I can have in Thailand on this visa.

I think Maestro really nailed it and showed me it is better to send in my materials closer to my actual departure date.

I apologize to you and the rest of the group for my nervousness on such a relately simple procedure.

s10317.gif?t=1298224237

Edited by MikeOKitches

Children under 15 don't pay overstay anyways

I've read and reread this thread... Where did this answer come from? I don't see the relevance of it

To the OP, even if it's the "expiry" type (ie one year from issue), as terak (and I think someone else) pointed out, it's really 15 months, that is if you leave and reenter before the date of expiry because you get a further 90 days from that date.

Jdietz was chiding me for asking such a relatively simple question. I've always been taught there if I don't know or understand something, ask a question! This is a learning experience for me.

brainiac1-1.jpg?t=1298225429

He probably is a brainiac about all of this visa stuff and has no time for my simplistic question.

Thank you for responding and pointing out this is in reality a 15 month long visa. I appreciate you reinforcing this notion for me.

Apparently what I am going for is the multiple entry 1 year non-immigrant type "O."

Uh, if your not completely sure what you're applying for, you're probably not eligible for a multi-entry Non Imm O visa -- unless there's some legal relationship to a Thai national.......

Assuming, then, you're related to a Thai, I'd shoot for no later than 3-weeks before you're departure date to Thailand to mail in your passport for your visa. Priority Mail (with an enclosed return Priority Mailer) works just fine. Historically, turn-around time with the honorary consulate in Houston has been 1- week. DC, LA, or the other official consulates may take longer -- and are certainly no easier to work with than the honorary consulates.

Which consulate are you corresponding with?