Iraq: Eight injured in Kurdistan protest

News_Editor

Iraq: Eight injured in Kurdistan protest

2011-02-20 12:12:34 GMT+7 (ICT)

SULAIMANIYA, IRAQ (BNO NEWS) -- At least eight people, including a policeman, were wounded on Saturday after security forces used water cannons and fired shots into the air to disperse protesters in the Kurdish city of Sulaimaniya, the Aswat al-Iraq news agency reported on Sunday.

"The protesters, located about 500 meters away from the Kurdistan Democratic Party (KDP), were forced to withdraw to side roads after security forces used water cannons and shot fire in the air," a local security source told the news agency.

Hundreds of protesters have taken to the streets in Sulaimaniya in the past days to demand better living conditions, an end to corruption and political reforms. On Thursday, two people were killed and 40 wounded after police shot at the crowd of protesters outside of the KDP building.

Political analysts in Iraq have called on a dialogue between the region's ruling power and the opposition, in order to put an end for tension and instability in the region.

Meanwhile, five demonstrations took place in different parts of the Iraqi capital of Baghdad, demanding the improvement of public services and the achievement of commitments given by officials.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-02-20

I lived in Suleimaniya for about 3 years. The area was under the control of the PUK political party, headed by Talabani, who later became president of Iraq (maybe he still is, I don't know). His arch-enemy was Massoud Barzani of the KDP, located in the city of Dahouk.

I thought they had settled there problems after Saddam was deposed, I guess not. Old hatreds die slowly, I guess.