Higher Number Of Foreign Tourists On Direct Flights To Chiang Mai Airport

webfact

Higher number of foreign tourists on direct flights to Chiang Mai airport

CHAING MAI (NNT) -- The Airports of Thailand Public Company Limited (AOT) disclosed a growing number of tourists in Chiang Mai province during the first quarter of this year as a result of tourism strategy and excellent weather.

Director of Chiang Mai Airport Ms Raweewan Natarakavessana,the number of tourists has increased by 3% in the first quarter of this year (October- December 2010) compared to the same period last year and it is continuing to grow into the second quarter.

According to Ms Raweewan, the number is forecast to reach 3.3- 3.5 million people by the end of this year. In 2010, there were 3.1 million visitors to Chiang Mai. 8 more airlines have requested the airport to allow them to increase more flights from Myanmar, Korea, China, Singapore and Malaysia.

She added however, that Chiang Mai Airport is in the process of improving the runway and taxi way since its last maintenance 7 years ago. She believed that it will bolster the services provided by the Airport.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2011-02-21 footer_n.gif

:whistling:

Chiang Mai has loads of tourists now, in my opinion any way

Chiang Mai does have tourist and this being low season but not the numbers that we had before September 19, 2006.

:whistling: Im sure thats only a coincidence.

NOT!

GOOD!!! Let's keep numbers low please.... The infrastructure hasn't been keeping up with the growth of CM. Water levels in the reservoirs are lower than normal already. Expect water shortages at least for just one of the drawbacks of too many folks without proper infrastructure in place or planned....

Is it surprising that we all laugh when we hear statistics about tourism ? -- this time from AOT.

They say that arrivals " increased by 3% in the first quarter of this year (October- December 2010) compared to the same period last year ". Perhaps I am confused but I thought that the first quarter of this year ended March 31, 2011 ( 2554) -- do they use a crystal ball ?

..and they say the first quarter is "October - December 2010" -- I am totally confused !

A 3% increase may not even be statistically significant, depending upon the size of the base numbers. I quote Mark Twain -- " There are three types of lies -- lies, dam_n lies and statistics."

Of course, we have no idea of how many of those arrivals were actual tourists. In the period mentioned, I personally arrived three times at Chiang Mai airport from foreign destinations.

Edited by tigermonkey

Is it really a surprise???? Chiang Mai remains one of the cheapest and cleanest areas in Thailand. There's loads of outdoor activities and it is home to probably the best Sunday market in the whole of South East Asia. It was only a matter of time its popularity would increase. I love Chiang Mai and have yet to meet a person who thinks otherwise.

Rich rolleyes.gif

Is it really a surprise???? Chiang Mai remains one of the cheapest and cleanest areas in Thailand. There's loads of outdoor activities and it is home to probably the best Sunday market in the whole of South East Asia. It was only a matter of time its popularity would increase. I love Chiang Mai and have yet to meet a person who thinks otherwise.

Rich rolleyes.gif

i also love chiangmai although i am not sure about the cleanest. cycling around it astounds me how much litter there is strewn everywhere, not just a bit of paper i mean bags full.

just looking around the numbers have increased recently but it is nothing like 4-5 years ago.

They say that arrivals " increased by 3% in the first quarter of this year (October- December 2010) compared to the same period last year ". Perhaps I am confused but I thought that the first quarter of this year ended March 31, 2011 ( 2554) -- do they use a crystal ball ?

..and they say the first quarter is "October - December 2010" -- I am totally confused !

Perhaps they mean "fiscal year." Do you know, for example, when the fiscal year starts as far as the US government is concerned? 1 October. Do you guys have to have everything explained to you?

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps they mean "fiscal year." Do you know, for example, when the fiscal year starts as far as the US government is concerned? 1 October. Do you guys have to have everything explained to you?

Yes, of course they mean Fiscal Year, since the Thai government FY runs October 1 to September 30. A little accuracy goes a long way -- bad reporting or sloppy announcement ? The reader should not be required to fill in the blanks. So easy to say/report " the first quarter of this FY"

Chiang Mai has loads of tourists now, in my opinion any way :D

The problem is not too many tourists, it's too many expats.

I'm beginning to feel embarrassed just walking through any supermarket. This is turning into Pattaya fast, in terms of the number of the Farlong coffin-dodgers you see everywhere.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Chiang Mai has loads of tourists now, in my opinion any way :D

The problem is not too many tourists, it's too many expats.

I'm beginning to feel embarrassed just walking through any supermarket. This is turning into Pattaya fast, in terms of the number of the Farlong coffin-dodgers you see everywhere.

Don't forget those that are carrying their luggage on their back.:whistling: