Problems With My Extended Screen Display – Following Mega Storm

Mobi

I use an Acer Laptop and extend the screen display to a 32 inch Samsung TV. I also extend to a 46 inch TV when watching music videos. I am using W7 O.S.

Today I was working away at my PC when there was an almighty thunderstorm and the power went off. When it returned, the Acer was working fine, The TV monitor also works fine but the extended display is no longer working.

I have checked the VGA cable and TV monitor with my GF’s Net book and they both are fine. (I can extend the display from her netbook to the TV monitor).

My Acer seems to behave as if the extended display is working , even though I just have a blank (completely black) screen. When I disconnect the VGA cable from the Acer I get the ‘no signal;’ message on the TV screen, but when I reconnect the cable, the screen goes blank again. If I change the settings and make the TV screen the ‘main desk top’ screen, my Acer screen goes blank (except for background wallpaper) and the TV screen also remains blank (no colour - just a black screen).

I can’t figure out if it is a software or hardware failure. Maybe those who know a bit more about these things can advise me. Do I need a new card? I am happy to take it in for repair but was wondering what the likely cause of the problem is.

BTW I have tried restoring to an earlier time period but it will not restore. I just get the message that it cannot access a file and the restore has failed. I have turned off all anti-virus software and the Windows Fire wall and it still will not restore, so a fat lot of good was all the effort I put into making my restore points remain on my computer if I can’t restore to them!!!

But that’s another matter.

Any advice would be appreciated on the extended screen problem before I try getting it repaired.

This really sounds like a EMI spike-related hardware issue, but it's not impossible that it's a bizarre driver issue (possible, as a part of your inability to do a system restore).

In any case, it's usually easier to try to reinstall your graphics-card drivers, than start troubleshooting a graphic card in a laptop.

Also, after reinstalling your drivers, you really should try to connect the laptop to a different VGA monitor, before having someone tear the thing open to start swapping VGA cards.

As to if it can be fixed:

Cheap laptops ususally have Intergrated Graphics, and as they're built into/onto the motherboard, there's usually nothing that you can do to fix problems with them (without replacing the entire motherboard). On more advanced (workstation, professional, or custom) laptops, the graphics card is often a seperate added on board, and therefore can be exchanged, upgraded, etc, allowing easier repair.

If the laptop is still under warranty, just carry it to Acer and say the VGA doesn't work Don't mention the thunderstorm, or that it has ever worked. They might just replace the motherboard for you - the issue is obscure enough.

I wouldn't bother with re-installing drivers, which BTW is a thing of the past on W7 anyway, isn't it?

It's pretty sensitive electronics, and you say it happened exactly when the power went out so chances are something got fried in there.

This really sounds like a EMI spike-related hardware issue, but it's not impossible that it's a bizarre driver issue (possible, as a part of your inability to do a system restore).

In any case, it's usually easier to try to reinstall your graphics-card drivers, than start troubleshooting a graphic card in a laptop.

Also, after reinstalling your drivers, you really should try to connect the laptop to a different VGA monitor, before having someone tear the thing open to start swapping VGA cards.

I thing re=installing drivers is a waste of time - but hey, it doesn't hurt.

But definitely try it on another VGA monitor - on the other hand, the Acer service center will do that for you first thing too (whether or not you're under warranty). In my experience they're pretty good and this sounds like an issue you should just take there. If your laptop is out of warranty they'll give you a quote too. Replacing the mainboard is not going to be cheap :(

Thanks for the suggestions.

I have tried a different monitor and different cable - no luck.

As I reported earlier, the monitor and cable works with my GF's Net book, so I think it's safe to assume it is the Laptop.

There was an enormous flash of lightning near by and the power went off. When it came back the VGA wasn't working so I guess something got fried. Everything else on the Acer seems to be working fine.

Seems like it's time to take it in for fixing.

Just a thought. Is there any way I can extend the display to a TV monitor without using the VGA port?

There was an enormous flash of lightning near by and the power went off. When it came back the VGA wasn't working so I guess something got fried. Everything else on the Acer seems to be working fine.

Enormous flash, affecting the power, you say?

It's fried.

Just a thought. Is there any way I can extend the display to a TV monitor without using the VGA port?

There are things like USB external VGA units (http://2002.iogear.c...oduct/GUC2015V/) that can augment (or replace) a computer's or laptop's VGA outputs.

They arent particularly good for highend graphics (ie: gaming, or blu-ray/HD playback), but if you just need standard display of text or still images, they seem to work pretty well (about $75 US).

If you need real graphics power, then you'll have to go with something like the ViDock (http://www.villagein...php?page=ViDock). This solution will only work for laptops that feature an ExpressCard slot, unfortunatly. (up to $279US for the enclosure, and then the additional cost of whatever PCI Express Graphics Card you end up buying to suit your needs {$50-$400US})

Edited by SiangDeeMahk

It's fried.

There are things like USB external VGA units (http://2002.iogear.c...oduct/GUC2015V/) that can augment (or replace) a computer's or laptop's VGA outputs.

They arent particularly good for highend graphics (ie: gaming, or blu-ray/HD playback), but if you just need standard display of text or still images, they seem to work pretty well (about $75 US).

If you need real graphics power, then you'll have to go with something like the ViDock (http://www.villagein...php?page=ViDock). This solution will only work for laptops that feature an ExpressCard slot, unfortunatly. (up to $279US for the enclosure, and then the additional cost of whatever PCI Express Graphics Card you end up buying to suit your needs {$50-$400US})

Definitely fried, kaput!

I also heard about USB external VGA units today. I use the Tv monitor for standard PC use, web browsing etc, and I also use it to watch downloaded music video clips. I wonder if the quality would be good enough and if they are available in Thailand? I am not necessarily expecting HD quality.

In the meantime I have successfully connected the Acer to my TV monitor using an HDMI cable and the HDMI slots and it works just fine, including sound. The picture is clearer than the VGA cabled screen.

However, I do occasionally have a need to connect to more than one screen at a time to watch my music videos. I wonder if there is such a thing as an HDMI 'junction box' similar to my VGA junction box, where I have one input and four outputs for for 4 screens?

Any ideas anyone?

(And thanks for all the constructive replies...)

However, I do occasionally have a need to connect to more than one screen at a time to watch my music videos. I wonder if there is such a thing as an HDMI 'junction box' similar to my VGA junction box, where I have one input and four outputs for for 4 screens?

Any ideas anyone?

Done some Googling. They are available in Europe. Something like these:

post-25991-0-58241000-1298473090_thumb.j

post-25991-0-21763700-1298473105_thumb.j

Anyone seen anything like this in Pantip or Tukcom?

It's fried.

Definitely fried, kaput!

I also heard about USB external VGA units today. I use the Tv monitor for standard PC use, web browsing etc, and I also use it to watch downloaded music video clips. I wonder if the quality would be good enough and if they are available in Thailand? I am not necessarily expecting HD quality.

In the meantime I have successfully connected the Acer to my TV monitor using an HDMI cable and the HDMI slots and it works just fine, including sound. The picture is clearer than the VGA cabled screen.

Any ideas anyone?

Of course it's clearer; it's digital!

Pantip definitely sells HDMI splitters/multipliers. In the audio/video business, we call them D.A.s (for "Distribution Amplifiers")

I checked Tukcom today. TI found a multi-in, 1 out, (per my 1st pic) but none the other way round, i.e. an HDMI splitter: 1 in, 2 or more out, (per my 2nd pic), which is what I need.

I guess I will have to wait till I make a trip to Bangkok...

Cheap laptops ususally have Intergrated Graphics, and as they're built into/onto the motherboard, there's usually nothing that you can do to fix problems with them (without replacing the entire motherboard). On more advanced (workstation, professional, or custom) laptops, the graphics card is often a seperate added on board, and therefore can be exchanged, upgraded, etc, allowing easier repair.

My Acer's graphics chip was "done in" -- installed something new, restarted, and from then on, it was completely black (even during booting). The shop I'm using in Pattaya (Tuckcom 3rd floor, "Pattaya2U") are able to replace the graphics chip on the mainboard (THB 3500) instead of replacing the motherboard (THB 8000+). Took 2 days, and the thing is just like new...! If however the Acer is stil under warranty, it should definitely be repaired by Acer. Yep, don't mention thunderstorm or solar flares -- it just "stopped working" (which is pretty much what it did anyway, right?!). Good luck!