Thai Police Probe Mysterious Death Of British Couple In Chiang Mai

webfact

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One death is probably natural causes, two simultaneous deaths is stretching it. Food poisoning has advance symptoms, nausea, vomiting, etc, sufficient to make someone use the house phone. Suicide pact, then no note, no provision for disposal of bodies. Past medical records, wills etc might hold a clue. Did they have a return ticket? How much money did they bring, how much was in the room? There is no such thing as a death without clues.

It is not unheard of for aged people whom have been together for a long time (most of their lives) to die hours apart.

It doesn't need to be foul play.

RIP

You would think that suicide would be the likely outcome on the info available. Perhaps one or both were ill and wanted out.

I doubt it because they could have done that in Bangkok why travel all the way up to Chang Mai, My guess is poison, but only a post mortem can possibly clear that up, but they better do that soon. because if someone is slipping inocent aged tourists with poisoned welcome drinks to rob them they need to be caught quickly.

Very easy for a maid and accomplice boy friend to do this... access to the welcome drink, access to the room with the master key and hey presto not much evidence to go on.

Even mild poisons can kill the elderly very easily.

Edited by newermonkey

RIP and condolences to the family.

I would imagine an autopsy would shed some light on this. Presumably the bodies will be sent to Bangkok and this will be carried out ?

Pure speculation but as already mentioned suicide cannot be ruled out until an autopsy is carried out. Thailand is on the map for those wishing to end their lives due to the high availability of nembutal.

As a final way out this has been the subject of many media articles in western countries. It's well known that Mexico and Thailand are a source for this drug.

If they ingested all they had there wouldn't be any trace left in the room fo supply clues.

Although you would think they would write a goodbye letter to family.

Has no one considered the coincidence that the couple in question was staying in the same hotel/same area as the three young women from New Zealand who allegedly became ill (and one died) from food poisoning? I find that very curious. Might there be something in the water? Or some other environmental cause? The authorities have been investigating and still have not announced just what the young women became sick from- contrary to all the speculation, the original supposition of seaweed has not been confirmed.

This forum would be performing a public service if it would publish any information announced by the respective authorities regarding these matters. The hot air contributed by members does not really help.

suicide comes to mind.

but they should do post mortem asap, now is at least 3 days afted they died - the sooner they know facts the sooner the police can do their job (if necessary)

Yes... suicide does come to mind... Your`s..!! RIP the deceased and condolences to the relatives............

I suspect it was chloroform, which has often been used in the north of Th, to knock out travellers and then rob them.

Chloroform can cause cardiac fibrillation in the eldery quite easily, especially if the chloroform is old.

That would account for Mrs. Old Dear on the bed, and Mr. Old Dear in a strange position.

It's easy to say room service, and then take advantage without a struggle with elders.

However, I am awaiting the autopsy investigation, as we all are. That itself will need to be done by somebody thorough as even chloroform, if not suspected, can easily be overlooked in autopsy.

My condolances to the families back in UK, no matter the outcome.

-m.

Based on my education, I would sumise that this poor couple died of CARBON MONOXIDE POISONING..... it would fit every piece of this seemingly unidentifiable puzzle. Carbon monoxide is odourless, slow acting ,and has the efect of putting people into a sleep followed by coma, then death. Perhaps the police should concentrate on items removed and professional/business interests and monetary gains by possible competitors. RIP to these poor people.

Glad you agree with me on this as it makes the most sense but we will see unless it gets buried in the information black hole

Of course this make sense, but providing 'monetary gains' also includes investigating authorities who may 'benefit' from shutting up, or simply inventing 'evidence'.

How does this make sense? CO2 in their rooms? thailand doesnt have the same issues with heaters killing people from CO2 as they do in the US. There is no CO2 producing equipment in the rooms. It make more sense that the woman died in bed and them the man decided to drop his body. Doesnt it get tiring from comments by those continuously complaining about thailand and its ways. Just go home and be quiet. It makes the forum so boring to read even when there is something interesting on here. perhaps the forum should be split up into 2 parts. the jokers and complainers - and the positive contributors. in the real world thats usually the kind of people who hang out with each other.

Wrong side of bed old chap?

Let's wait for the autopsy report!

THANKYOU. I just hope they get it right. Would hate to see it going on like the Swede and American in Pucket. RIP

jb1

I have just finished reading all of the comments posted here. WOW amazing Thaivisa.

Edited by jimbeam1

And that seems to be the 'norm' over here...This will be the last you hear about this unless you have the resources to pursue anything else...in other words money!!!Every day this is a regular occurence lately!!

Will it be like all the other cases ? dropped investigation and pretend it was suicide ? So many foreigners die in Thailand but rarely seen anyone being arrested of trialed. :angry: :angry:

Why should they make it up to satisfy your whim when the truth prevails. There is no evidence either way.

Many writers seem to be making the assumption that elderly equates to frailty, rhis should not be an automatic assumption. i'm 75 years old and two years ago laid out two attempted muggers. I agree that lifelong couples often follow each other in to death, I have seen this many times, but in a few days to months, not minutes. As to heart attacks, if they can fly and survive Thai immigration they could not be that unfit.

I think this was a suicide... couple who are sick and want to die peacefully come to thailand where they can buy barbituates.. overdose and die together.

My roots are in the same county as this couple, They were on holiday in chiang mai, and presume they had return tickets. and were elderly. 1.. why the hell would they want to spend 200,000 baht and a be in the north of Thailand seeing the sights and culture and then resort to suicide ???? Northern English elderly people normally never. 2 Die natural causes in a bedroom at the same time no way odds on a no no. 3. Because of his position, sat and keeled forward onto the bed--and her on the bed, does sound more likely to be overcome by (something ) inhaled.... as in she felt tired, got on the bed, he didn't make it. ==75 year old coming to buy drugs or stuff so they can die together. they could have done that in Lincolnshire.

Too good for me Taggart!!!Should probably be running the Thai special crimes unit by the sound of it!!

I think this was a suicide... couple who are sick and want to die peacefully come to thailand where they can buy barbituates.. overdose and die together.

My roots are in the same county as this couple, They were on holiday in chiang mai, and presume they had return tickets. and were elderly. 1.. why the hell would they want to spend 200,000 baht and a be in the north of Thailand seeing the sights and culture and then resort to suicide ???? Northern English elderly people normally never. 2 Die natural causes in a bedroom at the same time no way odds on a no no. 3. Because of his position, sat and keeled forward onto the bed--and her on the bed, does sound more likely to be overcome by (something ) inhaled.... as in she felt tired, got on the bed, he didn't make it. ==75 year old coming to buy drugs or stuff so they can die together. they could have done that in Lincolnshire.

RIP and condolences to the family.

I would imagine an autopsy would shed some light on this. Presumably the bodies will be sent to Bangkok and this will be carried out ?

Pure speculation but as already mentioned suicide cannot be ruled out until an autopsy is carried out. Thailand is on the map for those wishing to end their lives due to the high availability of nembutal.

As a final way out this has been the subject of many media articles in western countries. It's well known that Mexico and Thailand are a source for this drug.

If they ingested all they had there wouldn't be any trace left in the room fo supply clues.

Although you would think they would write a goodbye letter to family.

Strangely enough, just last week I posted on a UK newspaper forum regarding the prospective government cuts and it's effect on the already poor treatment received by the elderly in 'care homes'. I stated that I lived in Thailand and was surprised at the number of 'expats' saying they would 'go home' if things got too bad for them here, in their dotage.

I said I very much appreciated the Thais selling Nembutal over the counter here (which appeared on another thread regarding the number of Australians coming here specifically to that end - no pun intended :D). The hastily closed thread included a photo of a local vet's sign advertising Nembutal with the byline 'Australians Welcome Here!' LOL!

I'd posted on the newspaper forum that I'd already made a pact with a Thai friend, that if I ever got to that stage I would rather imbibe Nembutal than be shipped back to the depressing shit hole that is the UK anyway.

My money's on Nembutal. And I wouldn't leave a bloody note.

Too good for me Taggart!!!Should probably be running the Thai special crimes unit by the sound of it!!

Syd, Stick to your taggart I reckon Columbo was the bees knees, 55555555555 :lol: :lol:

Based on my education, I would sumise that this poor couple died of CARBON MONOXIDE POISONING..... it would fit every piece of this seemingly unidentifiable puzzle. Carbon monoxide is odourless, slow acting ,and has the efect of putting people into a sleep followed by coma, then death. Perhaps the police should concentrate on items removed and professional/business interests and monetary gains by possible competitors. RIP to these poor people.

I've stayed at Downtown Inn a few times - don't recall anything there that would provide the carbon monoxide to kill anything.

No gas heaters & no chance of parking the car in the room.

Possibly they've just had their time.

We have had mysterious, non violent deaths in rooms before, in Thailand. I've read more than once, it being blamed on toxic air from the a/c units, that go too long being cleaned and serviced. They are just as susceptable to virus', bacterea, whatever it is that blows on unsuspecting customers, it is fast acting and lethal. Sorry I don't remember exactly what came out of the past ones that killed people in the rooms, but do remember the blame fell on the a/c units.

My sincere condolences to the family. On another note, I am not so sure that the powers that be are anywhere near 100% responsible for not following up or finding causes to peoples' demise. I put 2 cents on the snooze media being the ones that don't follow up on the results.:coffee1:

I think until the results of the autopsy are known may I politely suggest that some posters didn't speculate that the staff of the hotel might have been responsible for murder.

A bit more here

From Andrew Drummond,

Bangkok, February 23 2010

Pathologist were today examining the bodies of two British pensioners who died in a holiday hotel - just days after three young New Zealanders collaped there in a fatal attack of alleged food poisoning.

george-everitt.jpg

Pensioners George and Eileen Everitt from Boston, Lincs, were found dead in the Downtown Inn in the northern capital of Chiang Mai at the weekend days after a 23-yr-old New Zealand woman, who was also staying at the hotel died allegedly of food poisoning and her two friends sharing the same room were taken seriously ill.

eileen-everitt.jpg

http://www.andrew-dr...as-red-herring/

Edited by andrewdrummond

This is a strange one, to say the least. RIP to them both, and condolences to their families, but reasons and rationale totally escape me. The wife die of a possible heart attack and the husband, overcome with grief (combined with stress??) died of a "broken heart", or his own heart attack over her loss?

I hope there is a follow up to this story that resolves how they died. Tragic, whatever the consequences.

I strongly tend to agree, an autopsy should confirm this hypothosis.

[

How does this make sense? CO2 in their rooms? thailand doesnt have the same issues with heaters killing people from CO2 as they do in the US. There is no CO2 producing equipment in the rooms. It make more sense that the woman died in bed and them the man decided to drop his body. Doesnt it get tiring from comments by those continuously complaining about thailand and its ways. Just go home and be quiet. It makes the forum so boring to read even when there is something interesting on here. perhaps the forum should be split up into 2 parts. the jokers and complainers - and the positive contributors. in the real world thats usually the kind of people who hang out with each other.

Wrong side of bed old chap?

For the record, Carbon Monoxide is CO. Carbon Dioxide is CO2

This is very unfortunate. Also very strange, maybe food related???

Sincere condolences to their families

Hopefully nothing sinister , Maybe no more than being together and staying together to the end . A good age , and God Bless to them and the family . Prayers with all .