Thai-malaysia Border On Alert For Fuel Smuggling

george

Thai-Malaysia border customs on alert for fuel smuggling

SONGKHLA: -- Customs checkpoints along the Thai-Malaysian border are now on alert for smugglers of fuel--especially diesel--being carried by converted private motor vehicles, according to the customs chief in the South.

Customs Director in the South Rakop Srisupa-art said on Saturday that he had ordered customs officials along the border with Malaysia, especially at five checkpoints in four provinces of Songkhla, Narathiwat, Satun and Yala, to be on alert regarding creative fuel smuggling practices.

Higher international oil prices mean that there is double the amount of smuggled diesel that has been confiscated now than compared with last month, he said.

Mr. Rakop said residents of the areas near the common border are allowed to fill their vehicles' fuel tanks to a maximum 60 litres daily.

Persons with especially modified oil tanks--modified to accept much larger quantities of fuel--will first be warned and if the practice continues, officials will seize their vehicles and take legal action.

Malaysian officials have said that their government has planned to suspend fuel subsidies, Mr. Rakop said.

If that happens, oil smuggling at the border would serve no purpose, he warned.

--TNA 2005-09-10

But this scam has been running for several years at least ! :o

I remember being stuck in the queue, at the petrol-station before the border, behind a 4-door saloon that had pumped 725 litres - and was still filling-up !

The customs must have been aware of it, perhaps they now feel that their 'inspection-fees' ought to rise, with the recent increase in prices ? :D

Hmmm.  If they can get through a significant supply of fuel, I wonder if they might be able to get through, say EXPLOSIVES ???

Priorities.

kenk3z

It would be very easy to bring explosives into the Kingdom. I have to laugh everytime I go to the mall and have the security guards walk around my truck with a mirror on a stick looking for bombs or whatever.

IF I wanted to bring a bomb into a mall, I wouldn't stick it in any place that would be that easy to see! :o ######, I could have it in my lap these guys wouldn't notice it.

Futhermore, there's been a modified speedboat in the Tarutao area that runs cigarettes and fuel for years. Hey, why not... in twelve + years of visiting Tarutao I've never seen the patrol boats actually patroling. That would require turning off the soap operas and actually working.