Oximeter Availability

richardjm65

Some years ago I was diagnosed with COPD and am now on various medications. However, I understand that exercise also helps to control the condition. At a recent check-up it seemed that my BP was at the high end of the normal range. I'm told that an Oximeter will monitor my BP and pulse rate both at rest and whilst exercising and it's my understanding that exercising beyond a certain heartbeat rate becomes inneffectual, if not possibly dangerous. So, I'm interested to know exactly what information an Oximeter will provide me with, where I can find one, and what is the price range. Does the instrument also provide information concerning the body's oxygen level?

My objective is to improve my general condition and possibly lose a few kgs in the process. Walking won't help much as I have knee and hip problems (another reason to lose some weight), but I do have an exercise 'bike. Thanks for any helpful information and/or suggestions.

If you mean Pulse Oximeter, I got one from the states through Amazon. It tells you the oxygen level in your blood (if it goes below 92, it means you need an extra oxygen) as well as pulse rate. Some shops near Siriraj hospital do carry them, super pricey and not a well-known brand.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulse_oximeter

Hope this helps!

An oximeter is a device that measures blood oxygenation. It also usually displays the pulse rate.

An oximeter does not measure blood pressure although there are combination devices which have both an oximetere and a BP apparatus (don't know about in Thailand tho, plus I think these might be a bit cumbersome to wear while exercising).

You can certyainly get a pulse oximeter here and also a separate home BP monitor.