Thai PM Abhisit Says He May Be British

webfact

Anyway, have said it before but worth repeating - Abhisit speaks Thai, he looks Thai, he has chosen to serve Thailand and he has all the necessary Thai documentation. That's good enough for most Thais.

Most Thais didn't vote for him, and most Thais wouldn't if there were any alternatives.

Yes, just as most people didn't vote for PPP and most people will not vote for PT next election...

Incorrect. The PPP won a general election. They got the most amount of votes totalling 26,293,456.

Thus, most Thais voted for PPP.

Don't forget the polls in 2007 showed the Democrats with a massive lead going into the elections, but they couldn't make that count at the ballot box. I suspect that may happen again this year.

Incorrect.

Unless PPP actually one 50.00001 % of votes cast,

'Most people' did NOT vote for PPP.

In fact using your numbers they got about 37% +/- of votes cast,

a larger minority, but certainly not "most".

But that also means 63% of Thai voters did NOT vote for PPP.

And using population 67 million minus 26,293,456. leaves

40,706,544 Thais, of an age, who did not vote for PPP.

As to Abhisits holding a second nationality bestowed automatically at birth, this does not affect his MP or PM status, because he DOES specifically hold Thai citizenship. It was well known he was born and raised in UK, but by Thai parents, and this was never successfully and issue in any political campaign.

Does this give the damned hampster a possible legal leg to stand on, possibly, but that also assumes the court will even consider this as a valid reasons to look at the case.

Other wise there is NO valid reason. But a series of visa stamps on a Thai passport, and no usage of a UK passport to enter U, in recent history, would likely invalidate this as a valid nationality argument. An effectively UK individual would use an UK passport to enter and leave the UK.

We'll see how this pans out..

Edited by animatic

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Incorrect.

Unless PPP actually one 50.00001 % of votes cast,

'Most people' did NOT vote for PPP.

In fact using your numbers they got about 37% +/- of votes cast,

a larger minority, but certainly not "most".

But that also means 63% of Thai voters did NOT vote for PPP.

And using population 67 million minus 26,293,456. leaves

40,706,544 Thais, of an age, who did not vote for PPP.

My question still hasn't been answered what percentage voted for the Democrats?

Less than voted for the PPP, but no one is saying that the Democrats won the election.

Well tell me if I'm wrong - I understand that an election here is not PPP against the rest of Thailand combined is it?

Edit I know we are talking about a past election but the rules haven't been changed that much by the democrats, yet.........

Edited by phiphidon

Depends on what you look at

Constituency

People's Power Party 26,293,456 36.63%

Democrat Party 21,745,696 30.30%

Proportional

People's Power Party 14,071,799 39.60%

Democrat Party 14,084,265 39.63%

Edited by DP25

They got the most amount of votes totalling 26,293,456.

Just in case there are still a few out there that aren't aware of this lie that "most" Thais voted for PPP, they received a bit under 37% of the vote.

What was the percentage of the Democrat vote?

General Elections 2007:

----- constituency ----- proportional

PPP - 26,293,456 - 14,071,799

Dem - 21,745,696 - 14,084,265

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_general_election,_2007

Well tell me if I'm wrong - I understand that an election here is not PPP against the rest of Thailand combined is it?

No. But people that voted for parties claiming they wouldn't ally with the PPP were the majority.

Edit I know we are talking about a past election but the rules haven't been changed that much by the democrats, yet.........

You understand correctly. But that still doesn't mean the PPP won the election.

You understand correctly. But that still doesn't mean the PPP won the election.

Oh, OK then........

The argument that the PM is not Thai because he was born in Britain is nonsense. Some of the most important Thais in Thailand have been born outside of Thailand while their Thai parents were going to University, etc. but they are always Thai ... no matter what.

I thought u could renounce any citizenship if u are of sound mind and have another citizenship.

I had a friend who was a dual citizen of Canada and the USA. He renounced the USA one but it was lots of hassel. Thats what he told me anyway and I know he did have that USA passport for sure at one time.

You cannot give up or renounce British Citizenship it is always available under whatever mechanism that you obtained it in the first place

The argument that the PM is not Thai because he was born in Britain is nonsense. Some of the most important Thais in Thailand have been born outside of Thailand while their Thai parents were going to University, etc. but they are always Thai ... no matter what.

I've got news for you - the argument was never about whether the PM was Thai.

The Thais ought to consider themselves fortunate that they've got a PM with a superior British education.

Bingo!

Absolutely the smartest person in Thailand.

The enormous brain power and international exposure this man has ( just like Bill Clinton, etc) is just what Thailand needs to guide the variety of forces moving this Kingdom.

He is British due to a British loophole.

He and his (equally clever and international) parents are Thai.

Anyway, have said it before but worth repeating - Abhisit speaks Thai, he looks Thai, he has chosen to serve Thailand and he has all the necessary Thai documentation. That's good enough for most Thais.

Most Thais didn't vote for him, and most Thais wouldn't if there were any alternatives.

Yes, just as most people didn't vote for PPP and most people will not vote for PT next election...

Incorrect. The PPP won a general election. They got the most amount of votes totalling 26,293,456.

PPP didn't 'win' as the didn't get a majority.

And no, nothing in my statement was incorrect. Most people did not vote for PPP. The majority choose any of the other parties.

Even you should be able to figure that one out.

Edited by TAWP

Can a Thai holding dual citizenship be PM? That's the crux.

I agree I really don't have a clue why any one would worry about it if he can legally hold a British citizenship and still be PM.

If he can't the courts will remove him.

the crimes against humanity is bogus and every one knows it. Including the red shirts.

Wouldn't it be nice if they decided to try to make Thailand a nicer place to live in. But no they choose to try to destroy it. They better hope nobody looks to hard at them. Last time I checked invading hospitals was considered a crime against humanity.:(

With the unfortunate history of being a leader in Thailand it is probably wise he keep his citizenship in Brittan. As long as he hasn't used any privileged it may bestow on him since becoming an adults and has acted as a Thai citizen, I really don't think he is going to face any legal consequences but certainly his political foes can use it against him.

And no, nothing in my statement was incorrect. Most people did not vote for PPP. The majority choose any of the other parties.

Ah, sour grapes.

PPP did win and they did get the most votes. Very simple.

All that in spite of the Junta ordering PPP activities to be suppressed and for them to be framed with LM charges in the run up to the elections.

They would have won by a far bigger margin had they been competing on a level playing field.

We'll have to wait to see if Abhisit can win that elusive first general election victory eh? ;)

Ah, sour grapes.

PPP did win and they did get the most votes. Very simple.

All that in spite of the Junta ordering PPP activities to be suppressed and for them to be framed with LM charges in the run up to the elections.

They would have won by a far bigger margin had they been competing on a level playing field.

We'll have to wait to see if Abhisit can win that elusive first general election victory eh? ;)

Sour grapes? That would be those delusional's that predicted that PPP would easily be getting a majority. Same delusional's that predict that PT will get a majority in the next election since '60-70% of the country support the red'.

My post just stated the obvious, Democrats and PPP neither gained a majority and neither had on their own votes from most of the voters.

He never actually held a British passport. He's a British citizen under British law because he was born there. Outside of the UK he isn't considered British because there has never been in posession of a UK citizenship document (passport or ID card). Ultimately, it's up to him in that case.

He never actually held a British passport. He's a British citizen under British law because he was born there. Outside of the UK he isn't considered British because there has never been in posession of a UK citizenship document (passport or ID card). Ultimately, it's up to him in that case.

I am not even sure if that would matter. Had he been born in the US he would be a US citizen regardless .. or would have been UNTIL he took a policy-level position in a foreign government. The moment that happened he would have lost citizenship

He never actually held a British passport. He's a British citizen under British law because he was born there.

Although his denials are rather vague, he is not a British citizen unless he applies/has applied to be one; simply because he is eligible to be one does not make him one. That he has apparently never had a British passport is irelevant to his being British (or not British).

As a member of the government, I believe he probably has a diplomatic passport, which gives him free visas, and I'm pretty sure a separate channel through immigration, rather than having to pay for a UK passport.

Admittedly, if he is British, I think he should be entering the UK using a British passport or with a vignette in his foreign passport stating that he has right of abode, rather than a regular visa, so if he is using regular visas it may be breaking UK immigration rules. (I'm just not sure if that's only a requirement after you've received a UK passport. Not 100% it's a requirement if you didn't apply for one.)

Admittedly, if he is British, and went to school in the UK, his parents lost out badly when they paid overseas fees as he'd have been resident in the UK the required number of years for, at the time, fees paid by the local education authority.

Diplomatic passports can only be used by diplomats on duty - not for private visits. As he is not a head of state dispensations for heads of state do not apply.

I rather doubt if having to "pay" for a British passport is a consideration, despite his laughably inaccurate declaration of his assets. CP, which his family own, can probably afford any visa fees.

He was educated at Eton College, as his son currently is (his daughter is at Winchester); their fees are the same for all nationalities and the "local education authority" have never paid anyone's fees to go there (Middlesex scholarships were only available to Harrow, and then only for a brief period), although his university fees at St John's College, Oxford, would have been considerably less had he not been an overseas student.

Thais are extremely nationalistic. Can see his British citizenship being a factor turning voters away from him.

Everyone already knows he was born and grew up in the UK. Do you think him maybe "technically" having British citizenship will make a difference?

Well technically if really true? it shouldn't make a difference,after all it didn't mean anything when Thaksin the Chinese/Thai ran the Country.

And a shame the Thais don't understand their Country is still run by the Chinese/Thais through their vast wealth,power,and business interests.

Edited by MAJIC

I rather doubt if having to "pay" for a British passport is a consideration, despite his laughably inaccurate declaration of his assets. CP, which his family own, can probably afford any visa fees.

As Dhanin Chearavanont says " Shit! Nobody told me!" :D

I think you'll find his dad is an independent director.

Precisely:

Having British Citizenship given to you Unsolicited,is vastly different from actually applying for it ,and getting it,so PM Abhisit was not lying.

Not having applied for it, is extremely important,as you can't relinquish what you never received, or were aware of.......or received any Confirmation Documentation.......or indeed agreed to British Citizenship..........End of Story.

Edited by MAJIC

if he was a Brit, even half a Brit, why would he have to get a visa to go to his own country?

As a member of the government, I believe he probably has a diplomatic passport, which gives him free visas, and I'm pretty sure a separate channel through immigration, rather than having to pay for a UK passport.

Admittedly, if he is British, I think he should be entering the UK using a British passport or with a vignette in his foreign passport stating that he has right of abode, rather than a regular visa, so if he is using regular visas it may be breaking UK immigration rules. (I'm just not sure if that's only a requirement after you've received a UK passport. Not 100% it's a requirement if you didn't apply for one.)

Admittedly, if he is British, and went to school in the UK, his parents lost out badly when they paid overseas fees as he'd have been resident in the UK the required number of years for, at the time, fees paid by the local education authority.

Are you sure you are a mamber of the government ?