What Is "Ai" In "Aiเด็กสองตัวนี้"?

Aulok

it's a familiar or sometimes derogatory term, given the rest of the sentence I reckon it's something like 'these two dam_n kids are really wild' with 'ai' taking the place of the word 'dam_n' as in adding emphasis in a negative way, depends on the context, it can be used affectionately too. It's something I'm not really comfortable using myself, as the nuances of when and with whom it's ok to use it, are beyond me :)

It would seem this word can be spelled two ways and share only slight similarity in meaning(s); อ้าย versus ไอ้. However, the shorter spelling ไอ้ carries a lot more negative connotation(s) and usage. :whistling: ..

Here're the linx to them both;

Thai-Language Dot Com - อ้าย

Thai-Language Dot Com - ไอ้

From your example sentence, I believe it could be the longer spelling อ้าย and use the meaning found under number 9 in the possible meanings; "word used in front of some words or phrases to express emphasis in a general way".

Then again, I could be wrong! It could be ไอ้ and used more in “exasperation” or remarking negatively about the unruliness of the children.

I too shy away from using ไอ้ except in phrases I've got down perfectly clear and still only use those with my close thai friends where there aren't any misunderstanding(s). ;)

Still good question. ... :)

By tgeezer.

Firstly it means that the subjects are boys. They are being referred to as ตัว มัน so I imagine the speaker doesn't need to be polite toward them, or they could be so young that คน เขา would be too grown up.

The verb คึง is a good thing; high spirits, (not drunk) one bad connotation one definition of คะนอง 'do or speak beyond the conventional norms, (maybe too young for that too) but the other words ลำพอง ร่าเริง happy cheerful. You might find boisterous which would match the pronouns, but I think you would need a native to make up your mind.

If you go for the negative then ไอ้ is used to show displeasure, talking-down regarding them.

If you go for the positive then ไอ้ shows benevolence, indulgence, affection.

edit. Two posts while I was having my lunch but I leave mine.

Edited by violet