Ocean 1

Basil B

Just been to their web site...

Last bulletin is March 16th 2009 "Balconies enclosed above the 50th level", and the Latest news is even older, announcing the arrival of the Concrete batching plant.

Just looked opened CAM1, looks like the concrete batching plant has gone along with the corrugated fence on the west side of the site.

No, just looked a CAM2 it is still there, looks like the camera has been moved over the road to VTR3, had heard the residents at VTR1 & 2 had been getting a bit militant recently and declaring UDI.

Anyone got any news?

Just looked opened CAM1, looks like the concrete batching plant has gone along with the corrugated fence on the west side of the site.

No, just looked a CAM2 it is still there, looks like the camera has been moved over the road to VTR3, had heard the residents at VTR1 & 2 had been getting a bit militant recently and declaring UDI.

Okay Mr. Acronym. I figured out all your acronyms except for UDI, to which you have me stumped. Google was no help either. Could you elaborate a little more?

There's probably 1001 rumors floating about. Not really, but 1001 Arabian Nights was a good series of fantasy storys. So 1001 is a good number to use in this fantasy. But there are a lot of rumors and it has been rumored a lot of money and influential people are involved.

Suppose in this fantasy that CAM1, CAM2, the concrete batching plant, and the corrugated fence were presented to prove to these influential people that the project was progressing along.

Rumors have it:

• The developers/promoters for VTR1, VTR2, and Ocean 1 are the same.
  • These developers/promoters are seriously in debt. Possibly understandable why the VTR1 and VTR2 residents are a little militant, and why the concrete batch processing plant and corrugated fence have disappeared. It does take money to keep these operations going.
  • Some of these rumored developers, promoters, and influential people are no longer around or involved.
  • There are new influential people who will not get involved.
  • Many of the permits, studies, reports, and approvals were not obtained or started when the project was started and haven't been approved yet. Nor will they.
  • Some of the other developments by these rumored developers and promoters are rumored to be failing or are limping along. It also takes money to keep these operations going.
  • Wealthy investors were going to kick-start the project by putting bidding out to several contractors to just do sections at a time and pay bonuses for early completion.

Like all fantasies, eventually the story has to come to an end and you have to return to the real world.

There are serious infrastructure problems, such as water, electricity, sewage, traffic, and etc...How are they going to come about to be improved to support such a building? Who's going to pay for it? The Government, the developers, or???? And when? Remember the Thrappraya - 2nd road project has been an ongoing project at least the past 6 years and still is not completed. The area suffers from water shortages constantly. Where would all the vehicles park to support such a monstrosity? There is currently a severe parking problem in the area.What would support the weight of such a building? It's near the ocean which is mostly sand. How would the traffic be managed? There already is a severe traffic problem in that area with pedestrians and vehicles. Not to mention from the new Thrappraya - 2rd Road project which will add to the traffic problem.not decrease it.

There was talk about all these high-tech solutions to solve some of these. You have got to be kidding! This is Thailand which is not a technology leader, nor does it easily allow technology to be imported. We still haven't gotten reasonable Internet, Television, or 3G services. Even basic telephone/internet service in the area is a joke.

I don't feel at all sorry for any of the investors in this 'pie in the sky' fantasy project. They should have investigated just some of these problems before considering to invest 1 baht on such an off plan super project. I seem to recall a similar 'pie in the sky' project that was started near Bang Sare about the same time. We all know the rule, "If something sounds to good to be true, it probably isn't". It's very easy to produce a lot of fancy brochures, but to actually develop the project is a whole different story. Remember talk is cheap and not even worth 25 satang for everything said.

I will only believe it when I see it completed, filled, and operational. for a few years. By the way, I thought the reason behind 7-11 was the convenience. Seems a little out of the way to go to Mars to get a Big Gulp at a 7-11? Oh yeah, I get it now...another fantasy story. I think I would prefer Aladin's wonderful lamp over a Big Gulp or a Starbucks coffee from Mars.

Okay Mr. Acronym. I figured out all your acronyms except for UDI, to which you have me stumped. Google was no help either. Could you elaborate a little more?

There's probably 1001 rumors floating about. Not really, but 1001 Arabian Nights was a good series of fantasy storys. So 1001 is a good number to use in this fantasy. But there are a lot of rumors and it has been rumored a lot of money and influential people are involved.

Suppose in this fantasy that CAM1, CAM2, the concrete batching plant, and the corrugated fence were presented to prove to these influential people that the project was progressing along.

Rumors have it:

• These developers/promoters are seriously in debt. Possibly understandable why the VTR1 and VTR2 residents are a little militant, and why the concrete batch processing plant and corrugated fence have disappeared. It does take money to keep these operations going.
  • Some of these rumored developers, promoters, and influential people are no longer around or involved.
  • Many of the permits, studies, reports, and approvals were not obtained or started when the project was started and haven't been approved yet. Nor will they.
  • Some of the other developments by these rumored developers and promoters are rumored to be failing or are limping along. It also takes money to keep these operations going.
  • Wealthy investors were going to kick-start the project by putting bidding out to several contractors to just do sections at a time and pay bonuses for early completion.

Like all fantasies, eventually the story has to come to an end and you have to return to the real world.

There are serious infrastructure problems, such as water, electricity, sewage, traffic, and etc...How are they going to come about to be improved to support such a building? Who's going to pay for it? The Government, the developers, or???? And when? Remember the Thrappraya - 2nd road project has been an ongoing project at least the past 6 years and still is not completed. The area suffers from water shortages constantly. Where would all the vehicles park to support such a monstrosity? There is currently a severe parking problem in the area.What would support the weight of such a building? It's near the ocean which is mostly sand. How would the traffic be managed? There already is a severe traffic problem in that area with pedestrians and vehicles. Not to mention from the new Thrappraya - 2rd Road project which will add to the traffic problem.not decrease it.

There was talk about all these high-tech solutions to solve some of these. You have got to be kidding! This is Thailand which is not a technology leader, nor does it easily allow technology to be imported. We still haven't gotten reasonable Internet, Television, or 3G services. Even basic telephone/internet service in the area is a joke.

I don't feel at all sorry for any of the investors in this 'pie in the sky' fantasy project. They should have investigated just some of these problems before considering to invest 1 baht on such an off plan super project. I seem to recall a similar 'pie in the sky' project that was started near Bang Sare about the same time. We all know the rule, "If something sounds to good to be true, it probably isn't". It's very easy to produce a lot of fancy brochures, but to actually develop the project is a whole different story. Remember talk is cheap and not even worth 25 satang for everything said.

I will only believe it when I see it completed, filled, and operational. for a few years. By the way, I thought the reason behind 7-11 was the convenience. Seems a little out of the way to go to Mars to get a Big Gulp at a 7-11? Oh yeah, I get it now...another fantasy story. I think I would prefer Aladin's wonderful lamp over a Big Gulp or a Starbucks coffee from Mars.

This seems to be the perfect example where reality contradicts the "myth of progress" that the real-estate developers hope people/suckers will continue to swallow. I recently drove around and saw many other places that have had fences out front stating that a condo development is forthcoming. I saw those same places six years ago! They are still empty lots. You would think real estate prices would start to reflect reality on the ground. When will the market officially crash? I feel like it is being supported by "hype" and buyers are mainly real-estate investors buying large blocks and waiting for a future that will never materialize.

UDI = Unilateral Declaration of Independence.

Ocean 1 will be built on Mars before it is built in Jomtien.

Who in their right mind would pay the per meter costs of a building like this, which would be much higher than The Cove which peaked out in the 200,000 B / meter area ..... TO LIVE IN JOMTEIN BEACH!!! and not even on the water.

"There's a sucker born every minute."

UDI = Unilateral Declaration of Independence.

Ocean 1 will be built on Mars before it is built in Jomtien.

True, UDI = Unilateral Declaration of Independence, meaning that the residents have formed their own management committee.

Ocean 1 will be built on Mars before it is built in Jomtien, but not before 1 7/11 for ever street corner, 1 or more starbucks, KFX and Mc Donalds in every shopping mall, and 20 or so beer bar complexes!:D

Who in their right mind would pay the per meter costs of a building like this, which would be much higher than The Cove which peaked out in the 200,000 B / meter area ..... TO LIVE IN JOMTEIN BEACH!!! and not even on the water.

200k baht/meter? In Jomtein? LOL

So your basic 60sqm condo would have come in at 12m baht? :lol: I hope the 30 baht noodle stand is nearby.

TheWalkingMan

The Grand Opening of Ocean 1 is scheduled to coincide with the completion of the newly upgraded Thappraya Road/Jomtien Second Road. Owners will be able to drive directly to the Pattaya Monorail Station where they park their limousines and be whisked to the High Speed Train that will take them directly to Suvarnabhumi airport and on to the heart of Bangkok.

Rumors have it:

Don't want top get caught up in all this, but one point you mentioned about building in sand, I may stand corrected, but I understood that sand is a preferred base to build such sizable buildings on - not sure why.

I remember the test pier they drove in the corner of the plot next to the fence at the end of Soi 4, they had so many cables connected to it - it looked like something nasa was involved in - they also had 2 security guards watching it 24/4 for months and then they pulled it all out, filled in the hole and that was then end of it.

''Good morning Jomtien''. Its like a blast from the past to see all the old protagonists still getting worked up over Ocean 1.

It just shows the power of the concept. Not just another boring tower but something exciting and awe inspiring. Something that fires the imagination and raises very human doubts as to whether it is actually possible to build such a spiritually uplifting and challenging structure and even whether it can be viable in that location.

One day, possibly quite soon in Thailand terms, Ocean 1 or something similar will stand and define the optimism and can-do spirit of Pattaya entrepreneurs, both Thai and farang.

The skyline has already changed dramatically in Naklua and Central Pattaya and high rise Condo developments on Pratumak hill are now starting. Its just a matter of time before the new gold rush reaches Jomtien and all those desirable sites near the beach will be utilised.

The things that brought all of us to this area are still here and many amenities have greatly improved. More and more people will want to enjoy the life style on offer here. We have enjoyed and are still living in the best of farang times and should welcome the new arrivals from Russia, Arabia, India and other places that are enjoying economic development.

The whole area is heading for even more prosperity but if current trends continue it will be based on the emerging Thai middle classes from Bangkok and new emerging markets. The traditional retired farang market will reduce in significance and eventually die off.

No can predict the future, especially in such a politically volatile place as Thailand but its still a great place to live and play.

I'm happy to see all you keyboard pundits are all alive and well. No one has fallen down a bottomless pit in Thappraya Road or been abducted by the mysterious Chinese work force rumoured to have been assembled for the Great Building Task.

Have a Great Day thinking about what might be. Ocean 1. Live the dream!

''Good morning Jomtien''. Its like a blast from the past to see all the old protagonists still getting worked up over Ocean 1.

It just shows the power of the concept. Not just another boring tower but something exciting and awe inspiring. Something that fires the imagination and raises very human doubts as to whether it is actually possible to build such a spiritually uplifting and challenging structure and even whether it can be viable in that location.

One day, possibly quite soon in Thailand terms, Ocean 1 or something similar will stand and define the optimism and can-do spirit of Pattaya entrepreneurs, both Thai and farang.

The skyline has already changed dramatically in Naklua and Central Pattaya and high rise Condo developments on Pratumak hill are now starting. Its just a matter of time before the new gold rush reaches Jomtien and all those desirable sites near the beach will be utilised.

The things that brought all of us to this area are still here and many amenities have greatly improved. More and more people will want to enjoy the life style on offer here. We have enjoyed and are still living in the best of farang times and should welcome the new arrivals from Russia, Arabia, India and other places that are enjoying economic development.

The whole area is heading for even more prosperity but if current trends continue it will be based on the emerging Thai middle classes from Bangkok and new emerging markets. The traditional retired farang market will reduce in significance and eventually die off.

No can predict the future, especially in such a politically volatile place as Thailand but its still a great place to live and play.

I'm happy to see all you keyboard pundits are all alive and well. No one has fallen down a bottomless pit in Thappraya Road or been abducted by the mysterious Chinese work force rumoured to have been assembled for the Great Building Task.

You're not the bloke who takes the deposits and drives the Bentley are you? :ph34r:

I like this part best

We have enjoyed and are still living in the best of farang times and should welcome the new arrivals from Russia, Arabia, India and other places that are enjoying economic development.

Which equals... no worries, we will have a whole new set of fish to hook and fillet who, more than likely, do not read forums and basically will fork over plenty of cash to live the dream in the stratosphere of Ocean 1.

TheWalkingMan

You're not the bloke who takes the deposits and drives the Bentley are you? :ph34r:

He is joking, right? Beginner is playing a game with us and can 't possibly mean what he said, right?

When this rubbish first came out, I had two close and very sensible friends who had built property in and around Pattaya, almost falling over themselves to pay down millions of baht for a few properties in this development.

We sat down, crunched numbers and all came to the conclusion that it was impossible. Yet, driven by greed and in equal measure fear of missing out on a profit, they both "invested" millions. They were astute but over eager and they will be paying for their over enthusiasm for a while to come !

You have inspired me to buy my first ever lottery ticket.

Let's put it this way. It's a good bet there will a Starbucks on Mars before that monster gets built.

But don't rule out a "7-Eleven" ............ either way, it's a two-horse race and "Ocean 1" isn't one of them.

It seems unlikely that a 7-11 will ever be built on Mars.

However, if one is built, it is an absolute certainty that a second will open - directly opposite the first - within 6 months.

And, back on topic, I'm surprised they havn't started marketing 'Ocean 2' yet.

Edited by chickenslegs

Two Thai things that anyone with basic street smarts could have/should have realized smelled bad, really bad.

The Elite Card Program

Ocean One

The Elite Card at least provided some benefits (has it completely folded yet ?) but never materialised into the permanent visa which could have justified its price but they changed the rules afterwards.

Edited by Rimmer
Unsubstantiated allegation

Did you get a degree in flowery language ? Anyways only an Estate agent could write such drivel .

Garbage !!!

Edit: Initially, I inserted the entire quote but then I considered why burden this topic with such "Utter Garbage"? So, I deleted most of the quote and, to avoid being over verbose (!), I thought that "Garbage" would suffice.

Edited by GamLing

Thinking of putting down a deposit ,to keep the developers Bentley on the road ?

Yups, these guys are very keen on getting a big car parc...

in 2009 when I used to live in view talay residence I always saw the managers of that Siam Enterprises riding around in their Bentley's...a year later these Bentley's were even replaced by two Rolls Royces...

I am asking myself the question how long will it take until these guys will end up in Hiluxes or Commonrails.

Edited by BeardedDragon