Finally Moving To Thailand

Mr Red

And I wouldn't do the Chula program, it's not easy unless your thai is at a high level already and you need to learn thai fast. It's more aimed at business men and Japs.

When were you on this course to get that idea ?

I seen some bad reviews about the Chula course from back in 2005 but I think some things may have improved since then. I am doing Intensive Thai at Chula right now and if you start from Basic 1, you don't need any prior knowledge whatsoever.

I have met students who started before me. They're now in Intermediate 3 so they have had about 600 hours of tuition over 8 months and started from zero. They're basically fluent in conversation and can read and write pretty well.

For a retiree who has time to be on Campus 1000 - 1500 every day and do some 90 mins of homework and review this course is fantastic. I fooled around with private label language schools last year and most of them were visa mills that didn't teach crap. 5 hours @ Chula is like a week at the Thai school down the Soi.

I took 4 months of the program in 2005 --- no "japs" in my class .. one architect (swiss? but with fluent English) one married farang with a business outside of Pattaya --- err his wife's business!

My only issue with Chula was that I didn't live in central BKK--- 90 mins each way ---5 hours of class that truly was intense etc ... and a partner at home that was fluent in English.

I took 6 months off and started at another school and skipped their first YEAR of classes and was still far more advanced than the rest of the students.

I would highly recommend Thai Language hut, a very friendly school that only teaches one to one and they will set the programme to your requirements, you can google them and check out there website. As for living in BKK if you stay away from the centre I think it's fine.

seconded...I go there 3 days a week. Very relaxed atmosphere, 1-1 teaching and good teachers.

Appreciate the referral ... looks pretty good. Much more flexible than the Chula intensive Thai courses and looks as it fits me much better. I am sure I will be contacting them. Saw their facebook page with pix of social events also -- looks like fun.

I would highly recommend Thai Language hut, a very friendly school that only teaches one to one and they will set the programme to your requirements, you can google them and check out there website. As for living in BKK if you stay away from the centre I think it's fine.

seconded...I go there 3 days a week. Very relaxed atmosphere, 1-1 teaching and good teachers.

Appreciate the referral ... looks pretty good. Much more flexible than the Chula intensive Thai courses and looks as it fits me much better. I am sure I will be contacting them. Saw their facebook page with pix of social events also -- looks like fun.

I honestly wouldn't blame ANYONE for giving Chula a pass ... VERY demanding course! Then again I do believe that if you want fluency fast ---- they are the very best choice!

Some pretty useless stuff mixed it with a very little bit of real info.

Put shipment in your wifes name. Assuming it is one container, she can import it duty free. If more then one container, split them into separate shipments and pay the duty on yours. As you say your company is paying, discuss with the freight forwarder they hire.

Get a single entry Non-Imm "O" visa in Ankara. All you should have to show is your marriage certificate and your wife's ID card/Passport.

You will get 90 day permission to stay. When you first get herer open bank account or even before if you have bank account already, transfer 800k baht into it. This must be done at least two months before your 90 days expires. Within the last 60 days of your 90 days, go to immigration and apply for year extension. It is easy and relatively painless. If you really don't want to hassle with it except for a single trip to immigration, hire an agent to take care it. They will also do the 90 day address reports for you.

TH

I will check with my company if they can ship in her name, but another post here says that does not make any difference on the customs bill anyway. Will do some more checking on this -- thanks for the tip.

We are fairly tight with the Thai Embassy folks here in Ankara, Turkey, so was planning to follow their advice on visa types. Will focus on this type, though. I wonder if my formal retirement date has any effect? My plan is to formally retire about 6-8 weeks after arriving in Thailand and start drawing my pension in April. Any thoughts on that?

Bank account is open now, but will probably open another upon arrival. Transferring funds in is not a problem.

My only issue with Chula was that I didn't live in central BKK--- 90 mins each way ---5 hours of class that truly was intense etc ... and a partner at home that was fluent in English.

I took 6 months off and started at another school and skipped their first YEAR of classes and was still far more advanced than the rest of the students.

I suspect this may be similar for me. We plan to live in some secure community outside of BKK a bit -- looking at things like Perfect Place on Ramkahaeng (website looks nice, but wonder what actual community looks like), and similar type of places. So commute to Chula would be a challenge.

DO NOT DO IT, closer to the family that is. Holidays, great, but when you are here as a resident then the '' family '' becomes YOUR family and it's a real pain in the ass. :huh:

BUT, good luck with your new life. :D

DO IT

I now live very close to my family with about 100++ or more members in less than 500m walk for seven+ years and I love it. Sure there are ups and downs, sure you will have to integrate and find your place in the family, but you will enjoy it. There always will be someone who care for you, your wife, your property when you are on a holiday and you will always find sombody to drink or argue with. Whatever.... Thai lifestyle...

fatfather

DO NOT DO IT, closer to the family that is. Holidays, great, but when you are here as a resident then the '' family '' becomes YOUR family and it's a real pain in the ass. :huh:

BUT, good luck with your new life. :D

DO IT

I now live very close to my family with about 100++ or more members in less than 500m walk for seven+ years and I love it. Sure there are ups and downs, sure you will have to integrate and find your place in the family, but you will enjoy it. There always will be someone who care for you, your wife, your property when you are on a holiday and you will always find sombody to drink or argue with. Whatever.... Thai lifestyle...

fatfather

Glad to see someone feels as I do. I have been around her family on many occasions, notably short-term, but they are all great people. I enjoy most family members and there is no pushing, or money-grubbing that you read about with others. I look forward to being around them.

And I wouldn't do the Chula program, it's not easy unless your thai is at a high level already and you need to learn thai fast. It's more aimed at business men and Japs.

When were you on this course to get that idea ?

I seen some bad reviews about the Chula course from back in 2005 but I think some things may have improved since then. I am doing Intensive Thai at Chula right now and if you start from Basic 1, you don't need any prior knowledge whatsoever.

I have met students who started before me. They're now in Intermediate 3 so they have had about 600 hours of tuition over 8 months and started from zero. They're basically fluent in conversation and can read and write pretty well.

For a retiree who has time to be on Campus 1000 - 1500 every day and do some 90 mins of homework and review this course is fantastic. I fooled around with private label language schools last year and most of them were visa mills that didn't teach crap. 5 hours @ Chula is like a week at the Thai school down the Soi.

I plan on starting the Chula course in October of this year. I am surprised that you found 90 minutes a day of preparation to be sufficient. My understanding is students have to learn thirty new vocabulary words per day. Would seem to take more preparation than 90 mins. Anyway, glad to hear that you liked the course. It seems clearly to be the best intensive Thai course in Thailand.