Aftermarket Cruise Control Anyone?

stevehaigh

does anyone know where to buy and get installed an aftermarket universal cruise control for a Toyota Vigo (or any car really)?

i've asked around all the car places in Klong Thom market and no one has any idea what i'm talking about. i know cruise control is available standard on the top of the line vigo and other cars and trucks but where to add one yourself?

thx

Do you really think that the traffic patterns and driving techniques in Thailand lend themselves to the use of cruise control. It is very rare that I find a stretch of road where it would be of value. I miss the option here as well but have never considered pursuing it because in my mind it is just too dangerous to use in Thai traffic.

Sorry if not much help.

Edited by BuckarooBanzai

I know some cars that have all the stuff to make the cruise control work already in them from the factory and the models that have it fitted simply have the controls there to switch it on. May be worth investigating if your Toyota is the same.

I know some cars that have all the stuff to make the cruise control work already in them from the factory and the models that have it fitted simply have the controls there to switch it on. May be worth investigating if your Toyota is the same.

Your probably right about the wiring loom but getting it done with no probs and the cost of new control arms etc. hhhmmmm.

Your probably right about the wiring loom but getting it done with no probs and the cost of new control arms etc. hhhmmmm.

Might be worth trying wreckers, I know parts like that would be not too hard to get from wreckers in Australia and they would take CC card and post.

Wanted it put on my Vigo reply from Toyota's a big fat NO. Toyota's one only work on auto not manual. As regard's not useful in Thailand on my trip's to BKK and beyond I use it 85/90% of the time in BKK it's a no, but everyware else yes. If you can get it go for it. GREAT.

thanks for the info. i drive about 40000km/year, most of it hua hin to phuket so i'm no stranger to long highway drives which is where i need it.

i will ask Toyota as you suggest. i know the aftermarket kits need to connect to a conventional throttle cable, i'm not sure what my vigo has and i can't check right now as its in the garage for some repairs.

steve

thanks for the info. i drive about 40000km/year, most of it hua hin to phuket so i'm no stranger to long highway drives which is where i need it.

i will ask Toyota as you suggest. i know the aftermarket kits need to connect to a conventional throttle cable, i'm not sure what my vigo has and i can't check right now as its in the garage for some repairs.

steve

vigo drive by wire, IOW electric throttle to commonrail/ecu

This shop installs cruise control system on vigo or fortuner for 1500 baht only. Can use with A/T D4D engine model only. ECU in other models are not supported.

http://www.simplycoo...ucts/cruise.asp

Blimey, that's cheap. How do they do it. Good piece of info chum. :)

Will be as i posted earlier, everything is already there in ECU etc just needs the switches to turn it on. Cheaper to build it that way than have 2 different ECU's most likley a setting in the ECu that needs to be changed to activate it also.

This shop installs cruise control system on vigo or fortuner for 1500 baht only. Can use with A/T D4D engine model only. ECU in other models are not supported.

The good news is it is only 1500 baht. The bad news is it is DIY. You buy it and install it youself and when it screws up they are out of the loop.:whistling:

as I thought the only part needed is the steering wheel switch for cruise. The question is to Transam, does your 2007? have a lid to be removed and install cruise switch, or does it fit from late 2008 only?

oh wait I will check later on the 2006 Fortuner a friend has parked in my garage

as I thought the only part needed is the steering wheel switch for cruise. The question is to Transam, does your 2007? have a lid to be removed and install cruise switch, or does it fit from late 2008 only?

oh wait I will check later on the 2006 Fortuner a friend has parked in my garage

Just had a look, there is NO removable blanking plug on either side of the control arm plastic casing on my late 2007. ;)

Just had a look, there is NO removable blanking plug on either side of the control arm plastic casing on my late 2007. ;)

have a look at the steering wheel lower right side

have a look at the steering wheel lower right side

Nothing. The steering wheel does have small holes either side for access to fasteners inside which are a couple of centimetres deep inside. Looking on their site there is a photo of a Vigo setup.Looks like you have to cut the whole yourself.

Edited by transam

on the steering wheel back side plastic covers right side

2010 with stock cruise, the hole for stalk is 2x3cm

2006/7 Fortuner has a removable lid right side approx 5x6 cm

anyone wanting to order this cruise should provide VIN (chassienumber) to make shure its doable to install on existing steering wheel

1500 baht already covers both part and installation. If you want to DIY, I guess you may buy cc stick from toyota dealer for under 1000 baht. As you know, most Thai including me don't DIY, we pay for every service task.

Edited by paggamb

http://www.simplycoolshop.com/eng/products/cruise.asp

I just had them install the cruise control on my Fortuner. Tat and his brother Mick both speak good English. The job took less than a hour and done professionally. Tat happens to work at the Toyota Factory assembling Fortuners. There shop is actually a single car bay in a building and can be difficult to find. The cruise works great I tried it out on the express way home.