Chinese Restaurant In Pattaya

manarak

I recently searched the net and TV for some leads for Chinese restaurants in Patts.

I read several positive posts about "Chow Soi" in soi Chayapoom and went to the place.

It is cheapish, both in prices and in quality of dishes.

Does anyone know a good Chinese restaurant in Pattaya?

I'd be glad to find one with cloth napkins.

I haven't been there in a long time as it's too fancy and pricey for me, but the best Chinese food I have had in Pattaya is the Marco Polo in the Montien Hotel. If you're specifically looking for USA/UK style Chinese food, there is a restaurant soon to open close to the Jolly Friar chippie.

The Marco Polo Chinese Restaurant

The Marco Polo Chinese Restaurant is famous for its authentic Shanghainese and Szechuan cuisines prepared to perfection by master Chinese chefs. Enjoy a dim sum lunch daily from

11.00 a.m. to 2.00 p.m. and dinner from 6.00 p.m. to 10.00 p.m. daily. Private dining rooms are available for private parties.

* Located at the Lobby level

* Open Daily: Lunch(Dim Sum) 11.00 a.m. - 2.00 p.m.

* Dinner 6.00 p.m. - 10.00 p.m.

http://www.montien.com/pattaya/restaurant.php

The Chinese place adjacent to Royal Garden on second road is part of a chain out of Bangkok. They sell a lot of sharks fin soup so it's not for the p.c. crowd. I strongly do not recommend that place. It's not cheap and it's not very good. The Bangkok Chinatown location was much better in my experience (not that it's the best place to go in Bangkok either).

A lot of people like Canton House in the Pattaya beach Central mall. I think it's just OK and it is cheap, but for me too much Thai Chinese taste for my liking. Also they have really low cost dim sum but I consider it low quality. It's probably worth a try. Sometimes I go for the whole fish steamed in soy sauce and vegetables. It's worth the 220 baht anyway.

Edited by Jingthing

The best Chinese resto that I have found in Pattaya (and I'm from San Francisco, home of some of the best Chinese food in the world outside Hong Kong) is Nam Sing, next to the Royal Garden mall on 2nd Road. It's like a typical good Chinese place in SFO, nothing fancy in the decor department but just really good food at down to earth prices.

For years, I thought the place was just a seafood restaurant geared towards tourists (with tourist prices) but a Chinese friend living in Pattaya said it was the best Chinese food in town so I tried it recently and certainly agree. Just went yesterday with a group of family and great again. Recommended dishes include the stir-fried morning glory in oyster sauce, the fried beef in pepper sauce, stir-fried prawns with chili, and they make a pretty mean chow-fun noodles as well.

The price is about B 250-300 pp.

Edited by FarangBuddha
  • Thanks 1

Also, as an ex-San Franciscan, I find that place not very stellar. (Previously mentioned.) If it was in SF, I would NEVER eat there, all of my regular places there were seriously better than that place. But actually I must admit thinking about it that it IS better than the Canton House, but that's really not saying much, and they do do Chinese vegetable dishes well. I have been there multiple times. One example, their ma po tofu, seriously subpar. I suppose if you don't want to splash out for the high prices at the hiso places at the high end hotels, it might be the "best" in that price range. Pattaya isn't a great town for Chinese food, sadly.

OK, here's another one for Thai Chinese. Maybe somebody can give a better location for it. It's on 2nd road, west side, going north from Klang towards Big C. It's a hole in the wall shophouse place. As far as I can tell there is one thing to order (if its busy when I've been there every table orders it). It's kind of a spicy cold chicken on the bone dish served in chili oil, scallions, ginger, cilantro, etc. I forget what it's called on the menu but it's rather good (also not cheap). They also do super excellent stir-fried morning glory (which you should definitely order with the chicken). It's a dive but that chicken dish is really quite good. Maybe next time I see the place, I can give a name and better directions.

Edited by Jingthing

I haven't been there in a long time as it's too fancy and pricey for me, but the best Chinese food I have had in Pattaya is the Marco Polo in the Montien Hotel. If you're specifically looking for USA/UK style Chinese food, there is a restaurant soon to open close to the Jolly Friar chippie.

The Marco Polo Chinese Restaurant

The Marco Polo Chinese Restaurant is famous for its authentic Shanghainese and Szechuan cuisines prepared to perfection by master Chinese chefs. Enjoy a dim sum lunch daily from

11.00 a.m. to 2.00 p.m. and dinner from 6.00 p.m. to 10.00 p.m. daily. Private dining rooms are available for private parties.

* Located at the Lobby level

* Open Daily: Lunch(Dim Sum) 11.00 a.m. - 2.00 p.m.

* Dinner 6.00 p.m. - 10.00 p.m.

http://www.montien.c.../restaurant.php

The Chinese place adjacent to Royal Garden on second road is part of a chain out of Bangkok. They sell a lot of sharks fin soup so it's not for the p.c. crowd. I strongly do not recommend that place. It's not cheap and it's not very good. The Bangkok Chinatown location was much better in my experience (not that it's the best place to go in Bangkok either).

A lot of people like Canton House in the Pattaya beach Central mall. I think it's just OK and it is cheap, but for me too much Thai Chinese taste for my liking. Also they have really low cost dim sum but I consider it low quality. It's probably worth a try. Sometimes I go for the whole fish steamed in soy sauce and vegetables. It's worth the 220 baht anyway.

i am far from being PC Jing but would not give a single satang to anywhere that serves shark fin soup........

Yes I understand. I have had it a few times at Chinese weddings and also one time at that place when a rich friend was buying. PC or not, I like the taste, but personally I don't like it enough to need to ever order it myself. You can also get bird's nest (bird spit, yummy!) dishes there.

Edited by Jingthing

Try the restaurant in Furama Beach hotel on the corner of 2nd and glang. 1st rate International (not wierd :lol:). Loads of Chinese style dishes, and fresh seafood. Outside, and airconditioned dining. Real cloth napkins.

Also, as an ex-San Franciscan, I find that place not very stellar. (Previously mentioned.) If it was in SF, I would NEVER eat there, all of my regular places there were seriously better than that place. But actually I must admit thinking about it that it IS better than the Canton House, but that's really not saying much, and they do do Chinese vegetable dishes well. I have been there multiple times. One example, their ma po tofu, seriously subpar. I suppose if you don't want to splash out for the high prices at the hiso places at the high end hotels, it might be the "best" in that price range. Pattaya isn't a great town for Chinese food, sadly.

It's all relative...we are not in SFO anymore so the choices are very limited aren't they. Yeah, in SFO this place wouldn't be anything special but in Pattaya, it's the tops! All the dishes I have had there on multiple visits have been very good [again by Pattaya/Thailand standards]. If you want "English" style Chinese food then maybe Chow Soy or one of the other greasy-spoons run by an English expat from Benidorm might be more to your taste.

I am not one for B 10 dim-sum from Canton House at Central Beach. When I want good yum-cha ,I will head on up to Bangkok to Mei Jiang or some similar venue for a nice weekend lunch.

I am a scuba-diver and the cruel live fining of sharks for the preparation of tasteless shark-fin soup disgusts me too. I generally make it a habit to avoid any restaurant that serves it, but in Thailand just about every Chinese restaurant does so if you want Chinese you just have to lump-it [and wear your anti-shark fin soup tee-shirt].

I have also tried the Chinese outlets at the Dusit Resort and Royal Cliff and found them no better than Nam Sing...only much more expensive and pretentious.

Edited by FarangBuddha

It's all relative...we are not in SFO anymore so the choices are very limited aren't they.

In that case, we are more in agreement than I thought. I also agree the dim sum at Canton House is low quality, but isn't it 15 baht not 10 baht? Yeah, nobody in their right mind moves to Pattaya for the Chinese food. Once I also asked a mainland China expat living here where he liked for Chinese food in Pattaya, and his answer was ... drum roll ... BANGKOK.

Edited by Jingthing

Try the restaurant in Furama Beach hotel on the corner of 2nd and glang. 1st rate International (not wierd :lol:). Loads of Chinese style dishes, and fresh seafood. Outside, and airconditioned dining. Real cloth napkins.

Do you mean the one on the exact corner or a little bit away from the corner? If you do mean the one on the corner, the food I had last time I was there was poor. I had Thai food, but the shockingly DRY hor mok talay was about the worst example of that dish I've ever had.

Edited by Jingthing

That's a pretty good point, UG, as a generalization. However, there are exceptions. For example, some of the Iranian restaurants in Pattaya would find business in SF (they wouldn't be the best in town, but they could compete) and also a German place like BEI GERHARD in Naklua would compete well there. As far as Chinese, I have had Chinese food in CM and Bangkok that would be good enough to compete in SF. Even in Pattaya, the dim sum at Marco Polo would compete.

Edited by Jingthing

• 7 years later...

Best Chinese food in Pattaya? Definitely Nam Sing Chinese Restaurant( next to the Royal Garden mall on 2nd Road) and like FarangBuddha mention above its authentic chinese food at its best i highly recommend the Peking Duck, Abalone Casserole Rice in Gravy, if Sharks Fin Soup are not your thing also the Stir Fried Ginger and Scallion Lobster is very aromatic and delicious. We own a few properties here in pattaya and usually would visit Nam Sing with the whole family when we have chinese food craving and this place never disappoint there are cheaper options on the menu also which taste really good too like Mapo Tofu, Chinese style Morning Glory and Soy Sauce Crab etc.

On 3/1/2011 at 12:57 AM, Jingthing said:

http://www.montien.com/pattaya/restaurant.php

The Chinese place adjacent to Royal Garden on second road is called Nam Sing they are sort of famous according to my friend that brought me and my family there for the first time, i agree with you there that they are not cheap(i found this out on our the second visit because this time i footed the bill the first time my friend rush to the cashier to pay) and that they sell alot of Sharks fin soup but i think its because they have many prominent and well heeled chinese customers,i have been there with my family more than 3 times i find their chinese food very delicious i highly recommend the Peking Duck, Stir Fried Ginger and Scallion Lobster and their Soy sauce Crab.