How To Get Uk Pension Increase ?

DisparateDan

As UK Government pensioners are not eligible for annual increases unless living in certain countries, I like many am losing out.

In my case Baht4000 per month.

Options appear to be.

1. Go and stay in another country eligible for the increase.

In such a case does anyone know how long one must reside there to get the increase permanently, that is, what is the situation if one

returns to Thailand. ?

The pensions website encourages us to apply for the increase, even for short stays.

My options are Philippines and UK, but the travel costs and staying in UK probably discount this.

I have tried the website to get answers to no avail. Emailing is a fruitless task.

2. Some believe that opening a UK Bank Account and having your pension paid into it is an option, this seems too easy to be true and illegal.

At least there is a bright spot, at age 80, pensioners get an increas of 25 pence ? per week..12 Baht !!! I just can't wait., but will I get it ?

You get any increase temporarily if you go to the UK, pension reverts to the original rate on leaving.

If you stay over 6 months you are then locked onto the new rate when you leave, but go back to getting no increases.

I suspect, but do not know, that the same applies if you go to the Philippines.

Some people with a UK address and bank account lie about their residence. Some people get caught out lying.

Some people with a UK address and bank account lie about their residence. Some people get caught out lying.

And this may well cause a problem if you are caught, and I understand many people are.

If you actually live half the time in the UK and half the time in Thailand, give or take a week or two, then I think you would be ok. You would actually need to keep a home in the UK, paying all that goes with it, so it probably wouldn't really be cost effective just to get the increases in pension, an annual increase of about £365 next tax year I think.

And this may well cause a problem if you are caught, and I understand many people are.

If you actually live half the time in the UK and half the time in Thailand, give or take a week or two, then I think you would be ok. You would actually need to keep a home in the UK, paying all that goes with it, so it probably wouldn't really be cost effective just to get the increases in pension, an annual increase of about £365 next tax year I think.

From what i understand very few get caught unless someone tells on them.

i was under the impression that it was only about 2.5% increase next year,not 4% buy you a pint mate if your right.

i was under the impression that it was only about 2.5% increase next year,not 4% buy you a pint mate if your right.

The Government will uprate the basic State Pension by a triple guarantee of the highest of earnings, prices or 2.5 per cent from April 2011. The CPI will be used as the measure of prices, consistent with the Government's decision to index all benefits and tax credits by the CPI, although the basic State Pension will increase by at least the equivalent of the Retail Prices Index (RPI) in April 2011 to ensure its value is at least as generous as under previous uprating rules.

The Basic State Pension goes up from £97.65 to £102.15 from next month, which is the next tax year, so that's a rise of 4.6% in line with the increase in the RPI, which is the higher of the two rates, and for the 2012/13 tax year the new formula will kick in.

Edited by theoldgit