UK Ambassador Puts Phuket Safety On Common Agenda

webfact

UK Ambassador puts Phuket safety on common agenda

phuket-1-gjIIYhv.jpg

British Ambassador to Thailand Asif Ahmad (right) today focused

talks on boosting safety through mutual cooperation.

Photo: Janpen Upatising

PHUKET: -- UK Ambassador to Thailand Asif Ahmad met Phuket Governor Tri Augkaradacha this afternoon to discuss a slew of issues affecting British residents and tourists, with the aim of working together with local authorities to boost safety on the island.

“We have 850,000 British tourists who visit Thailand every year. I’ll say up to half come to Phuket… The majority of British residents and tourists here have nothing other than a good time – only a few have problems,” said the ambassador.

“The biggest challenge for us is to educate and advise our own citizens: Do not do in Thailand what you would not do at home. Nobody in the UK would go on a motorcycle without a helmet. It’s impossible. They’d be arrested in five minutes.

“It’s a serious issue – we lose many people here from motorcycle injuries – and there are an alarming number of injuries. That’s something we want to work on,” he added.

“We want to come back to Phuket before June to run a campaign to explain to tourists about basic safety, including to not go swimming in the monsoon season,” Amb Ahmad said.

The ambassador also raised the issue of how reports of sex attacks, regardless of victims’ gender or nationality, were handled by police.

“I have been discussing this today, especially crimes and sex offenses against women. If they are attacked, no matter whether they are Thai, Russian or British – the issue is the same.

“Police should be trained to deal with the situation sympathetically – and women officers, not male officers, should be handling the investigation,” he said.

“I want to bring some British expertise in these area, and counseling on prosecution. That’s one good example of something we can cooperate with Thailand on,” he added.

Phuket Provincial Police Commander Pekad Tantipong, who met Amb Ahmad earlier in the day, told the Phuket Gazette, “Ambassador Asif said he will help by talking to the Commissioner-General in Bangkok about the need for female police officers in Phuket.

“Right now there are no female investigation officers in Phuket,” he said. “All of them work at [Royal Thai Police] headquarters in Bangkok. If they transfer a few female officers to us, that would be great.”

Cdr Pekad said his office had formally requested female officers to be posted to Phuket, but had yet to receive a reply.

“Phuket police are still using male officers to investigate these cases, and female foreign victims do not feel comfortable talking about this in front of male officers,” he said.

“We need cooperation from the victims, otherwise we cannot do anything about the attack,” he added.

Amb Ahmad also raised two critical topics: tuk-tuks and jet-skis.

Regarding threatening jet-ski operators and bogus insurance claims, Amb Ahmad said that he believed the issue was mixed.

“There are appropriate places for jet-skis. I am not sure a crowded beach is one of them. I believe some claims of damage being done to jet-skis are genuine, and that not all jet-ski operators are ‘bad’, but the bad ones do need to be dealt with,” he said.

Gov Tri said, “We admit that problems exist and we are trying hard to solve them.”

He pointed out the recent breakthrough in having most tuk-tuks in Patong agreeing to set maximum fares, with public feedback to be collected after three months.

However, Amb Ahmad suggested that all tuk-tuks in Phuket be fitted with meters, like taxis in Bangkok.

“I think [the tuk-tuk situation] is not perfect, but it’s getting better… [if meters were installed]. What the meter tells you is what you pay. That’s the best way to deal with this situation,” he said.

Last night in speaking with the press, Amb Ahmad announced some good news for residents on the island.

He confirmed the British embassy in Bangkok was looking to return to Phuket in June or July with “surgeries” offering consular services similar to those conducted by the US embassy.

He also praised the efforts of British Honorary Consul to Phuket Martin Carpenter, who “does a lot of invaluable ‘front line’ work for us very well," he said.

Mr Carpenter confirmed there were "between 5,000 and 6,000" British nationals living on Phuket.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2011-03-01

quote; “The biggest challenge for us is to educate and advise our own citizens: Do not do in Thailand what you would not do at home. Nobody in the UK would go on a motorcycle without a helmet. It’s impossible. They’d be arrested in five minutes.

What a BS ! We stay in Thailand just BECAUSE we can do things here ( like riding without a helmet ) that we can not do 'at home'.

This ambassador sounds like a wimp.

Give England's Queen a chance to air her views, she does not mince words

I think he sounds like a sensible man who considers his words and actions carefully. Where, in the article, does he appear wimpish, bearing in mind he's a foreign diplomat not an elected Thai official?

He looks like he probably has a fair understanding of the cultural differences between countries and hopefully knows how to play with those differences to his advantage.

The ambassador does not mince words either. His approach is clear yet diplomatic. Whether it will achieve anything is a different matter. TIT, after all. :rolleyes:

Whatever happened to Quinton Quayle. Though he was the UK Ambassador in Thailand. This Asif Ahmad must be very new.

He arrived in Thailand in November 2010 and is currently Ambassador Designate.

Quinton Quayle was from 2007 - October 2010.

I think he sounds like a sensible man who considers his words and actions carefully. Where, in the article, does he appear wimpish, bearing in mind he's a foreign diplomat not an elected Thai official?

He looks like he probably has a fair understanding of the cultural differences between countries and hopefully knows how to play with those differences to his advantage.

The ambassador does not mince words either. His approach is clear yet diplomatic. Whether it will achieve anything is a different matter. TIT, after all. :rolleyes:

Totally agree, not wimpish just good diplomacy in a country that doesn't like being TOLD what to do.

Why does it matter to so many the colour of this mans skin? This is the first I've seen or heard of him and he is making a lot of sense, give the guy a chance he was probably born in Britain and has clearly studied and worked hard.

Would it not make more sence to educate Thai’s that hire out these killer bikes which is claimed as the number one reason for ‘loosing many people’

Killer bikes are hired to tourists solely on the production of a passport, stop that practice and many lives will be saved.

Jet Skies is a book of stories in itself.

Educate the Thai’s and punish those that flaunt the law and that’s half the problems solved.

Getting things past the BIB is the biggest stumbling block as most law breaking in Thailand is allowed to go unchecked as it puts money in their pockets.

“I want to bring some British expertise in these area, and counseling on prosecution. That’s one good example of something we can cooperate with Thailand on,” he added.

He’s banging his head against a brick wall if he thinks he will get co-operation from Thai’s.

When have Thai’s ever taken on board other nation’s opinions?

Talk to the average Brit and they reckon they can do whatever they want in LOS. Sex, drugs, breaking road-laws, etc.

Maybe, if any of them actually listen to this guy, they may start to think different.

Not much chance though. The average brit thinks they can do whatever they want anywhere when they've had a few. Sad.

Finally though, with the THai attitude to Indians being what it is, why was this guy appointed? I know the UK powers that be champion the anti-racism cause, even with the PM saying that multiculturalism has failed, but why put a guy who will obviously have problems due to his appearance into Thailand. Next, they'll put a Goldberg into an arab country.

Anti-racism isa good cause, but why try to export it. Looks like another type of colonialism.

Edited by Soi Sauce

Finally though, with the THai attitude to Indians being what it is, why was this guy appointed? I know the UK powers that be champion the anti-racism cause, even with the PM saying that multiculturalism has failed, but why put a guy who will obviously have problems due to his appearance into Thailand. Next, they'll put a Goldberg into an arab country.

Anti-racism isa good cause, but why try to export it. Looks like another type of colonialism.

Why try to export it? (Dear me, how deliciously ironic that statement is.) Okay.... Because to acquiesce to the prejudices of other countries is tantamount to IMPORTING them. You are going to tell a British civil servant (and British citizen) that you are discriminating against him because he is too dark skinned for Thai tastes? Seems to me the ideology should be moving in the other direction. The Thais need to outgrow this ridiculous prejudice, and giving in isn't going to help them get there. (Come to think of it, good God, what were they thinking when they made a black man head of the UN? Don't they know how some countries feel about blacks?!)

And in the case of the British embassy, I reckon that Britain holds the upper hand in that relationship. If Thais want the investment money and technological assistance, they'd better learn how to deal with the 'khaek' ambassador quick smart. In any case, I suspect that the people he deals with are generally a step or two beyond the "he have dark skin dirty poo-poo man!" stage of caveman thinking. Maybe the Thais you hang out with are still at that stage.

It just occurred to me as well (your post is truly inspiring) that it must be really difficult for some of the African countries to decide who to send to least offend their host country. "dam_n! We're all black... what should we do to keep Thailand happy?" One supposes they scour the countryside for albinos and train them to be ambassadors to Asian countries.

And come to think of it, Thais don't exactly like white people much either, so why doesn't Britain find a Thai who is now a British citizen and make them the Ambassador to Thailand? Of course that Thai person better be of the proper social class and skin colour...

Much as you may see yourself as a practical man of common sense, your argument is flawed, racist, backward and just plain silly.

And in case you didn't know, "Thai attitude" notwithstanding, there are a lot of very rich Indians in this country, holding full Thai passports (many for a few generations), and in spite of the "Thai attitude" they have managed to do business with Thai people and thrive in a place that apparently looks down on them. Looks like the colour of your money is ultimately more important.

Now go to your room young man, and stay there until you've given some serious thought to how you treat your fellow human beings.

Why try to export it? (Dear me, how deliciously ironic that statement is.) Okay.... Because to acquiesce to the prejudices of other countries is tantamount to IMPORTING them. You are going to tell a British civil servant (and British citizen) that you are discriminating against him because he is too dark skinned for Thai tastes? Seems to me the ideology should be moving in the other direction. The Thais need to outgrow this ridiculous prejudice, and giving in isn't going to help them get there. (Come to think of it, good God, what were they thinking when they made a black man head of the UN? Don't they know how some countries feel about blacks?!)

And in the case of the British embassy, I reckon that Britain holds the upper hand in that relationship. If Thais want the investment money and technological assistance, they'd better learn how to deal with the 'khaek' ambassador quick smart. In any case, I suspect that the people he deals with are generally a step or two beyond the "he have dark skin dirty poo-poo man!" stage of caveman thinking. Maybe the Thais you hang out with are still at that stage.

It just occurred to me as well (your post is truly inspiring) that it must be really difficult for some of the African countries to decide who to send to least offend their host country. "dam_n! We're all black... what should we do to keep Thailand happy?" One supposes they scour the countryside for albinos and train them to be ambassadors to Asian countries.

And come to think of it, Thais don't exactly like white people much either, so why doesn't Britain find a Thai who is now a British citizen and make them the Ambassador to Thailand? Of course that Thai person better be of the proper social class and skin colour...

Much as you may see yourself as a practical man of common sense, your argument is flawed, racist, backward and just plain silly.

And in case you didn't know, "Thai attitude" notwithstanding, there are a lot of very rich Indians in this country, holding full Thai passports (many for a few generations), and in spite of the "Thai attitude" they have managed to do business with Thai people and thrive in a place that apparently looks down on them. Looks like the colour of your money is ultimately more important.

Now go to your room young man, and stay there until you've given some serious thought to how you treat your fellow human beings.

:lol: Accurate and funny at the same time. You should come to this forum more often. :clap2:

... snip ... Because to acquiesce to the prejudices of other countries is tantamount to IMPORTING them. ... snip ...

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Zthyadat,

A truly wonderful post, and response: thanks for sharing your humanity and wisdom in this way.

The current ambassador from England is a testimony, imho, to the best aspects of current, racially diverse, British society.

best, ~o:37;

If only he had the guts that the Australian and German honorary consul has shown regarding the jet ski operators.

And remember that the Thais have got a british PM.

Why does it matter to so many the colour of this mans skin? This is the first I've seen or heard of him and he is making a lot of sense, give the guy a chance he was probably born in Britain and has clearly studied and worked hard.

No problem with skin color, just his membership in the Islamic Brotherhood. Of course this is normal fare for Brit.'s liberals and other class junkies.

"come to think of it Thai's don't like white skinned people either," I doubt you've been in Thailand very long? All those with position, wealth or power in Thailand have "white skin." Almost all the actors and breaucrates in Thailand are fair skinned or white 50-50 mixes. Sales of various skin whitening miracles are offered in volumes in local markets for Thai's. I think you need to return to the liberal area where such misinformed souls thrive on half truths and guilt trips.

As for the UN and its selection processes, who cares? What has the Un done or accomplished in the past 50 or so years that has solved any regional problem, such as the racist tribal murders in Rwanda Africa, or the control of HIV in Africa often referred to as genocide, or perhaps a bigger question, what about the past, present and future famines coming to Africa and Asia? Who is manning the UN's military these days? Africans, Asians and a few, very few Anglo support troops. Nobody supports or helps Africans. Easily ignored and put away like they really don't exist. Haiti has received over 3 billion dollars in support money from all sorts of sources. Results, tent cities and a welfare state waiting on more donations and UN troops to help keep the local drink, drug and prostitution gangs going. Brit. Ambassador, what a joke. He's worried about motorbike helmets, jet ski's and tuk tuk's. Obviously he's got his priorities in the right place...what a joke!

No problem with skin color, just his membership in the Islamic Brotherhood. Of course this is normal fare for Brit.'s liberals and other class junkies.

Baroness Warsi, the co-chairman of the Conservative Party, is a Muslim. Does she fit into the category of "Brit's liberals and class junkies"? (What is a "class junky"?)

Idenfifying racism does not one a racist make, and I think you totally misundestood the context of my post.

As for your reply, firstly, do you think the Uk has the right to impose its values on other cultures? It is colonialistic and the attempted imposition of western values in the Middle East is the source of most of the conflict there. Also, when you visit someone's house, you bend to their values, eg smoking or non-smoking. There's no difference here.

As for the African States searching for whites; you are jesting, I'm sure. What you can be sure of is Britain scoured the civil service for a PC appointment, thereby using racism to make a non-racist appointment which is in itself inherently racist. Are you sure that this is actually the best man for the job? No! Chances are his skin color helped him get it. That is racist.

As for Indians living here, completely off the point. This guy's British. And even if they are succcessful they are no nessassarily accepted. Never knew how to spell that word. The same is true in the "muticulturally failed" UK. BTW, there are also a number of blacks making loads and they have the same problems.

On the Thais I hang with; Maybe I should stay away from the the cabinet ministers and the Queen's doctor whose numbers I have on my phone and meet regularly. They obviously give me the wrong impression of how Thais think.

Finally, your assumed upper-class, albeit Dickensian, final, laughable comment about going to my room shows that you love snobbism. That is just a different outlet for racist thoughts that are no longer PC.

Edited by LivinginKata
Flame removed

What you can be sure of is Britain scoured the civil service for a PC appointment, thereby using racism to make a non-racist appointment which is in itself inherently racist. Are you sure that this is actually the best man for the job? No! Chances are his skin color helped him get it. That is racist.

On the Thais I hang with; Maybe I should stay away from the the cabinet ministers and the Queen's doctor whose numbers I have on my phone and meet regularly. They obviously give me the wrong impression of how Thais think.

Perhaps you have inside information on the selection of the gentleman in question as to his suitability for the post he now holds, possibly gleaned from your influential friends or is this just an assunption on your part.

The old saying springs to mind concerning "One being judged by the company one keeps" of course you understand that I would never cast aspersions on any politicians integrity :lol: