External Modem

richb2004

My internet connection is often very slow. I live outside Rayong and we have no option for broadband here. My PC spec. is up to date and adequate, but my average connection is only 29kbps. I am using a prepay card purchased from 7-11 store. The service is called ‘e-15 d’. Initially the speed was ok, but after my modem went down and I had it changed I noticed a big change.

Some years ago when I was in UK I bought an external modem, which improved my connection a lot. I was wondering if I did the same here I would get the same results. Otherwise can anyone recommend other ways of speeding things up?

Thanks.

Are you still using the same contact number with the new modem?

Have you tried another provider to check if same connect speed?

Is your computer grounded? (can make a big difference)

Is your telephone line good? Do you hear noise if you dial one digit and listen?

Are the correct drivers installed for the new modem?

Believe most software can control max connect speed so you want to make sure it is not limited to that 29k.

I would try another package (or two) first to make sure it is your problem and not the service you are using.

I have had as much trouble with external modems so it may not be a cure all.

Leaving your specific technical problem out of the equation:

My experience is that a good external modem can make a HUGE difference on the speed - mine went from around 30 kbps build in laptop modem) to almost 50 kbps when I did that - you will truely notice the difference!

I have since changed to ADSL..the need for speed he,he. Cheers!

My internet connection is often very slow. I live outside Rayong and we have no option for broadband here. My PC spec. is up to date and adequate, but my average connection is only 29kbps. I am using a prepay card purchased from 7-11 store. The service is called ‘e-15 d’. Initially the speed was ok, but after my modem went down and I had it changed I noticed a big change.

Some years ago when I was in UK I bought an external modem, which improved my connection a lot. I was wondering if I did the same here I would get the same results. Otherwise can anyone recommend other ways of speeding things up?

Thanks.

If the modem you've got in there now is one of those "software modems" then

yes an external modem would be faster and better. The hardware error corrrection

that the externals use is superior to the software error correcton most of the newer

internal software modems use.

a couple of added advantages to the external is you dont have to reboot if

your modem needs resetting and in lightening storms the zap coming thru

the phone line has less of a chance of frying the motherboard with the external

Check the wiring from the telephone black box outside the house to your socket in the room.

Running a new length of thicker cable can make a world of difference.

External modems tend to be better quality than the internal ones supplied with the machine.

See if you can borrow one to check it out.

• 2 weeks later...