Expats And Mosquitoes

malct

Just a quick question.

For some reason those Dam mosquitoes just love me, For all you expats who are now living out in Thailand, Do you get use to the Mosquitoe bites, Use any deet or do they stop biting after awhile.

I have had a swollen foot, hands and the the tempation to itch is awful.

I love Thailand, But not the bugs ;-(

I find that I occasionally get an insect bite / lump come up out of nowhere, they can be quite big and painful, I can see that it's some kind of insect bite but it only happens on average I'd say about once every five or six weeks.

There's a cream called 'Quadriderm' which is available from pretty much any pharmacy. It seems to work really well, it's worth having some of this stuff in stock all the time as you never know when the things will bite and once you start using the cream it seems to stop any infection taking hold and reduce the size of it.

I never use any kind of mosquito spray, but I live in Bangkok so maybe there's less of them here.

Some people they like and some people they don't. I seldom use any spray, but I've got the stuff. A friend of mine has to put it on every day. My father was impervious to all bugs. It a mosquito just few in the house my mother would come up in welts. I'm more on my father's side and so are my children. My kids grew up in mosquito country from the time they were babies. Maybe you just get an immunity to them. I just hate them buzzing in my ears at night.

I find that I occasionally get an insect bite / lump come up out of nowhere, they can be quite big and painful, I can see that it's some kind of insect bite but it only happens on average I'd say about once every five or six weeks.

There's a cream called 'Quadriderm' which is available from pretty much any pharmacy. It seems to work really well, it's worth having some of this stuff in stock all the time as you never know when the things will bite and once you start using the cream it seems to stop any infection taking hold and reduce the size of it.

I never use any kind of mosquito spray, but I live in Bangkok so maybe there's less of them here.

Yes I'm the same as you ukrules-live in Bangkok and only get bitten occasionally.My house is located alongside canals and there are canals running thru the property as well.

However, I have just had overseas visitors and 2 out of 3 of them got absolutely covered in bites on exposed flesh on their first night here.They made sure they put their mozzie protection on after that.I reckon its the Vegemite that keeps em away!

I suffered dreadfully in the USA from mosquitos, but here in Asia they really don't bother me. I get the odd bite, but I don't feel obliged to scratch till I bleed.

But the mosquitos in Yellowstone were huge, as well as so many of them.

"Where's me tea and biscuit?" I cried out in dismay

(Blood Transfusion Service joke there...)

SC

Out of interest, why do we not get malaria and dengue fever in Scotland from midges?

I use the Green cream that has a really strong smell.

I use to go over to the carabean a few years ago and i really used to get bitten over their,

First time going to Grenada, I spent a weekend biking in Scotland and Yes i was bitten over my arms by the Dam Mosquitoes and i was scratching before i got to Grenada.

Once i got to the hotel, I was bitten over the rest of my body and my legs. Not the best sight in the world

I use the Green cream that has a really strong smell.

I use to go over to the carabean a few years ago and i really used to get bitten over their,

First time going to Grenada, I spent a weekend biking in Scotland and Yes i was bitten over my arms by the Dam Mosquitoes and i was scratching before i got to Grenada.

Once i got to the hotel, I was bitten over the rest of my body and my legs. Not the best sight in the world

The Scottish ones are midges, not mosquitoes - they are like Gregor Townsend, smaller and more troublesome... and hated by the English. We also have the berry bugs which give tiny but itchy bites in the sunny summer (no, seriously, it could happen) but which you never see.,..

Oh, happy days!

SC

and no malaria, or degue fever, or lockjaw...

Go to Lapland in the summer, and you'll never complain about Thai mosquitoes again. Somebody once counted 150 on the back of my anorak... and the only thing worse than having to pee (in the forest) was having to shit. The Swedes have a splendid preparation called 'djungelolia' (please correct my spelling, someone), which works a treat.

Or perhaps it's the expats which are the trouble, not the mosquitoes?

My Girlfriend has just pulled a jar from her bag lol

However, once first bitten I have found some "green stuff" very effective. Comes in a round box and is sold pharmacies, probably 7, and elsewhere..

Use vinegar, takes the itch away almost immediately and is available from any mon n' pop shop.

Slice of lemon works too, as does urine, but that makes you smell bad.

(btw, the stuff about vegemite is complete hogwash)

Go to Lapland in the summer, and you'll never complain about Thai mosquitoes again. Somebody once counted 150 on the back of my anorak... and the only thing worse than having to pee (in the forest) was having to shit. The Swedes have a splendid preparation called 'djungelolia' (please correct my spelling, someone), which works a treat.

Or perhaps it's the expats which are the trouble, not the mosquitoes?

The mosquito and midge situation in the entire taiga region (Northern Scandinavia, Northern Russia, Canada etc.) is similar, hard to believe how extreme it can be if you have not experienced it yourself. The only upside is that those mozzies don't give you malaria and dengue.

There must be a book on this one: Cures for mozzie bites by tv members, and many previous topics around this subject, but in summary: the first issue is DEET or no DEET. If you don't mind chemicals, DEET is the only long lasting and effective remedy. It comes in local products from 7/11 at around 15% DEET. They work well for a couple of hours and cost around 50 baht..

Boots Chemist own brand is 50% DEET and is good for many hours - 280baht. If you know any Aussies coming here get them to bring Bushmans - 80% DEET - really effective (but long term effects of use??)

There are also similar DEET brands from other countries - see OFF! RID etc.

The non DEET stuff works but for much shorter periods and includes many products based on citronella, lemon grass, garlic oil, dettol and olive oil. But DEET seems to be more effective. Another one to try is Tea tree oil shampoo. Use it everyday - it seems to help. But also Vitamin B12, and a mainly vegetarian diet help.ie. no red meat. Regards.

There must be a book on this one: Cures for mozzie bites by tv members, and many previous topics around this subject, but in summary: the first issue is DEET or no DEET. If you don't mind chemicals, DEET is the only long lasting and effective remedy. It comes in local products from 7/11 at around 15% DEET. They work well for a couple of hours and cost around 50 baht..

Boots Chemist own brand is 50% DEET and is good for many hours - 280baht. If you know any Aussies coming here get them to bring Bushmans - 80% DEET - really effective (but long term effects of use??)

The non DEET stuff works but for much shorter periods and includes many products based on citronella, lemon grass, garlic oil, dettol and olive oil. But DEET seems to be more effective. Another one to try is Tea tree oil shampoo. Use it everyday - it seems to help. But also Vitamin B12, and a mainly vegetarian diet help.ie. no red meat. Regards.

Mostly fine, but last line is not correct at all.

Mostly fine, but last line is not correct at all.

Hi Thaddeus,

Maybe you have some more details about red meat ? I was told about it some years ago, and can only say from trying it out that it seems to make some difference.

My Dr. friends tell me that vitamin B12 makes no difference to being bitten, but it does indeed, so they're wrong

My Dr. friends tell me that vitamin B12 makes no difference to being bitten, but it does indeed, so they're wrong

:cheesy: Brilliant.

Doctors only believe in Pharmaceutical crap that causes more problems down the line so they can sell more toxic drugs. What did you expect them to say? Educate don't medicate. Glad to see you have a mind of your own. Very rare nowdays

A cheap and handy cure for itchy bites are the menthol inhalers you can buy at the 7/11 stores etc. if you take the bottom off you can dab some of the menthol onto the bite and it relieves the itching immediately.

Personally, I like DEET, although I do understand the reluctance to use it, and only do so myself when I feel it's essential.

Another herbal type of treatment is lashings of garlic, applied internally. It works its way through your system and as you sweat the garlic, it repels mosquitoes (and lots of other semi-sentient beings).

On another note, there does seem to be a difference between mosquitoes and their prey, geographically, and our abilities to adapt to them.

In Canada, I'd get bitten and the swelling would last a few hours; in Australia, I was bitten and the swelling was much more severe and lasted several days. However, the Aussie mozzies didn't bother my Australian girlfriend, but when she visited Canada and was bitten she had bites weeping into her stockings for several months afterwards.

Another herbal type of treatment is lashings of garlic, applied internally. It works its way through your system and as you sweat the garlic, it repels mosquitoes (and lots of other semi-sentient beings).

Also not proved to work with any significance ..... the mosquito part anyway.

Also not proved to work with any significance ..... the mosquito part anyway.

Buy some Dettol and some baby oil from the supermarket. Put equal amounts into a spray bottle and spray on to your arms,legs etc.

Mosquito and flies will not bother you believe me.

A cheap and handy cure for itchy bites are the menthol inhalers you can buy at the 7/11 stores etc. if you take the bottom off you can dab some of the menthol onto the bite and it relieves the itching immediately.

Thats what i use too, if i dont have "sambuke" the small round tin mentioned before from the 7/11, oh and if you are caught short with no meds out and about at night i find a dab of neat alcho eg..in my case vodka works at reducing swelling an stops the tendency to itch....then drink the rest...lol

I`ve tried garlic pills daily, b6, b12..etc but nowt really deters them to bite....little sh..ts.....

yes it's in your blood, less sugary stuff. Eat bittergourd and other stuff like it . ( not too sure about garlic ) . Also you were probably sleeping, sitting or staying at one spot for awhile. if you keep moving they don't bite

burn mosquito coils in open areas of your apartment / home if that's where you re getting bit. ( outdoors not indoors )

about the itch ............ soap, not the liquid kind just a regular bar of soap. when you have the urge to itch just wash the area throughly with soap, it stops it instantly.

malt - green stuff - usually mentholated cream - available in 7 -11 s ( soap is better though )

** pls excuse spelling. no spell check here

P.S : vegemite = gross

Thailand ain't so bad as downtown Winnipeg in the summer.(they once measured bites per minute as being in the hundreds!)..but then again who would want to be there...

I find rubbing moist soda block on bites works well...to alleviate itching and help heal....works on all our polkadotted visitors from euro land....actually we hardly get any mosquitoes on our hill but it only takes one.

...at home one should probably check and empty any standing water ( old tyres and that tray under that plant you overwater...lol).

In Cairns Australia you will get fined if you have standing water around your house when "Dengue inspectors" come around.....!

Since mozzies are attracted by CO2 ... maybe all the POMS could try stopping breathing...never get bitten again??

post-36430-0-29829700-1299185601_thumb.j