Uk Adsl Usb Modem Work In Thailand ?

Khun Bob

Hi

Recently I got a free USB ADSL modem thanks to Bull(Sh1t)Dog Broadband and have brought this with me to LOS. My appartment is now offerring Fast internet throught the phone to my room for something like 550 THB per month. When I spoke to the manager of the apartment she also talked abount 1500 THB for the modem. I had a look at one and it just looks like a standard ADSL modem with an ethernet port. When I mentioned that I allready have one she said all I have to pay is the monthly charge.

Anyway, what I would like to know is would a UK ADSL modem work ok in LOS ? From looking at other posts it would seem the answer is yes but there needs to be some parameter mods in the modem - cant recall off hand exactly what they are but VPI rings a bell.

I think the safest option is to find someone else in the apartment who has there line activated, ask nicely and do a test on theirs. I've had a look in the room where all the IT equipment is and I cant quite figure out how their setup works - I know that the apartment doesnt have a dedicated phone line, so I think they are just using DSL to their piece of kit and then via some sort of hub or router onto the modem that connects out to some Thai DSL provider. Really having a LAN in the buidling would have been better - even wireless - but then they can make money of selling DSL modems !

Hi

Recently I got a free USB ADSL modem thanks to Bull(Sh1t)Dog Broadband and have brought this with me to LOS.  My appartment is now offerring Fast internet throught the phone to my room for something like 550 THB per month.  When I spoke to the manager of the apartment she also talked abount 1500 THB for the modem.  I had a look at one and it just looks like a standard ADSL modem with an ethernet port.  When I mentioned that I allready have one she said all I have to pay is the monthly charge. 

Anyway, what I would like to know is would a UK ADSL modem work ok in LOS ?  From looking at other posts it would seem the answer is yes but there needs to be some parameter mods in the modem - cant recall off hand exactly what they are but VPI rings a bell.

I think the safest option is to find someone else in the apartment who has there line activated, ask nicely and do a test on theirs.  I've had a look in the room where all the IT equipment is and I cant quite figure out how their setup works - I know that the apartment doesnt have a dedicated phone line, so I think they are just using DSL to their piece of kit and then via some sort of hub or router onto the modem that connects out to some Thai DSL provider.  Really having a LAN in the buidling would have been better - even wireless - but then they can make money of selling DSL modems !

Hi Bob

I also brought a modem with me that went in the trash because the software for it did not allow me to change the VPI and VCI settings

Check with the software and the buildings ISP and see if you can get connected, i hope you have more luck than i did

Your UK ADSL modem should work as long as it supports PPPoE (which is very likely). What you will have to do is to set up the VPI and VCI parameters appropriately and that will depend on your ISP.

Could you tell us which ADSL service provider you plan to use?

Could you also mention the exact reference of your modem if possible? (the link to the web page that describes it would be useful)

FYI, as mentioned in other thread, currently I'm struggling to make my old Alcatel SpeedTouch USB DSL modem I bought in France in 2001 to work with True ADSL. Although I have researched and changed the parameters in the Windows registry (PPPoE, VPI=0, VCI=100), but still not connecting.

Just to make sure that you can change those parameters. For modem with router and web-based configuration is easier, not for USB one like mine. Well depends on the brand/model though.

Thanks for the replies

I dont know the info your asking for at the moment but what you have said so far is positive.

Currently I'm out of Thailand but will be back soon and will have a look into it then. I;ve been getting by on internet cafes and gprs but need good internet straight to my appt.

Cheers

Your UK ADSL modem should work as long as it supports PPPoE (which is very likely). What you will have to do is to set up the VPI and VCI parameters appropriately and that will depend on your ISP.

Could you tell us which ADSL service provider you plan to use?

Could you also mention the exact reference of your modem if possible? (the link to the web page that describes it would be useful)

Just a thought, it will cost nothing to bring it with you :o

BUT, if it takes more than a couple of hours to get it going, why bother? Units that will work immediately are not exactly expensive in Pantip / Fortune Town.

I suppose it depends upon how highly you value your time. :D

Just a thought, it will cost nothing to bring it with you :D

BUT, if it takes more than a couple of hours to get it going, why bother? Units that will work immediately are not exactly expensive in Pantip / Fortune Town.

point taken, for me I just assumed that it would work in Thailand as well as it did in the UK

what a ridiculous thought that was! :D:o

Just a thought, it will cost nothing to bring it with you :D

point taken, for me I just assumed that it would work in Thailand as well as it did in the UK

what a ridiculous thought that was! :D:o

No - it's more that Bulldog will have supplied it with the install disks already set for their ADSL parameters. You taking the UK modem to Thailand, where different parameters are used is exactly the same hassle as someone would have taking their Thai ADSL modem to the UK...

Install disks !! woops knew i forgot something - anyway half the fun is getting it wrking as if it works first time there HAS to be something wrong !

Will give it a go, just have to find a volunteer in my appartment biulding that can help - hopefully their karma will benefit from the experience..

If i get anything useful out of it will post it here