On Nut, What Do You Think Of It As A Place To Relax And Socialize In ?

tigerfish

talking about the area opposite Tesco's on the other side of Sukumvit road, as you come out of On Nut bts, just in from the road where all the the taxi stands and bus stops are.

IMHO its a great place to to sit and watch the world go by and easily accessible by various forms of transport, although it can get a bit hectic around peak times. but, tell me a place in BKK that doesn't ! smile.gif

outside bars offering a wide range of drinks and not to badly priced too. live bands most nights and wide screen t.vs to watch if that your thing. a great selection of outside food vendors to choose snacks and meals from that take your orders and bring to your table, both thai and other foreign foods on offer. and then there are the shops that my good lady likes to spend time wandering around in, least said about that the better, me thinks ! sad.gif

it definitely seems to have come on in the last year or so though since they started building the new condo building and did away with the left side of the old market where the motorcycle taxis used to wait to pick up fares. one thing i have noticed more and more since moving away from the area, but going back from time to time for a night out with friends. is the increase in the amount of foreigners that frequent the area, from either teachers who go there for an after work drink to chill out, the obvious tourists that have come to take a look and a fair percentage of farangs that i have seen who i assume probably live in the area too.

so whats your take on the area good or bad ? your views please !

Edited by tigerfish

I'm totally new to BKK so I probably have no idea what I'm talking about but from what I've seen I like the area. I've developed a very strong dislike for lower Suk so I've decided to spend the rest of the time I have here (only a week, sadly), in On Nut. I don't speak a lick of Thai so I think ordering food is going to involve a lot of smiling and pointing and crossing fingers but it feels a lot less touristy.

Edited by kuniklo

I know the area well. As far as being a place to visit, there's bugger all there. As a place to stay without the rat race on your door step, it's quite handy.

Incidentally, that peak time crush will die down a lot when the BTS extension opens. But then again the luxury of boarding an empty train will be a thing of the past.

I used to live about 200 yards from Tesco, at Suk 50, and I loved the area for the peace and quiet (as much as you can get in BKK). I moved away about 1.5 years ago. I notice that it is changing from a somewhat quiet, not at all touristy area, to now drawing more foreigners and getting built up with buildings and retail shops. I always thought I would move back there some day, but with it becoming busier, I think I will go somewhere else. I agree that it is still a "quieter" place than lower Suk, but now it is just getting a little too busy for me.