Opening A Bar In Chiang Mai

HansBlinkers

Speaking of bars. It is rumored that a gigantic, new sports bar with food will be opening soon directly opposite the original Mike's Hamburger place in the building with the beauty academy that has just closed. :ph34r:

Ah, the old ABC Bar!! How many people remember that one I wonder..

VERY good to see a traditional drinking function restored to a place. This town is SO on the right track.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of bars. It is rumored that a gigantic, new sports bar with food will be opening soon directly opposite the original Mike's Hamburger place in the building with the beauty academy that has just closed. :ph34r:

If it does, hope it does better than the last sports bar that was on Chang Klan Rd, 4 stories up.:whistling:

Yes, but I do hope someone has another go at setting up a sports bar that can show all the major sporting events - I think this town is big enough for two. If the plan is just another bar, that calls itself a sports bar but cannot receive the major events, then it will go the way of all others.

A sports bar with lots of pretty girls could work. wink.gif

Edited by uptheos

If it does, hope it does better than the last sports bar that was on Chang Klan Rd, 4 stories up.:whistling:

Yes, but I do hope someone has another go at setting up a sports bar that can show all the major sporting events - I think this town is big enough for two. If the plan is just another bar, that calls itself a sports bar but cannot receive the major events, then it will go the way of all others.

A sports bar with lots of pretty girls could work. wink.gif

That's what WTK is going on ...HOOTERS.:D

yea we really need another bar ph34r.gif

Why not?

If the OP has found a gap in the market he should go for it.

He is not going this "Blinkered" :D

actually there IS a market for a 'girl' bar around Nimman (there ain't any) or around Hang Dong (there ain't any) so David's advice is not too far off if you are serious (gulp!) - I might even be tempted to visit

There already there. You just have to know what your looking for :ph34r:

I'm new to Hang Dong so where? where?

Hint. Look for Christmas lites.

Or, somewhat more respectable on the corner where Big C Hang Dong is. Looks very nice, though the wait is for a 10 wheel truck not quite making the turn on to the Middle Ring road and taking out several of those bars. ;)

But pretty much all along the Middle Ring; some restaurants, some bars. Some respectable, some less so. :rolleyes:

Why not?

If the OP has found a gap in the market he should go for it.

He is not going this "Blinkered" :D

actually there IS a market for a 'girl' bar around Nimman (there ain't any) or around Hang Dong (there ain't any) so David's advice is not too far off if you are serious (gulp!) - I might even be tempted to visit

There already there. You just have to know what your looking for :ph34r:

Out towards the Royal Flora Park on Avenue Phitsanulok, just before the big roundabout there are some.

Out towards the Royal Flora Park on Avenue Phitsanulok,

Ratchapruek Rd.

A better on yet go down to Phitsanulok and check out the action around the bus station at night.. Reminds me of the Greyhound bus depots in the states in the early 60's :lol:

getlost.

re .... A better on yet go down to Phitsanulok and check out the action around the bus station at night

theres no need to go that far ...

try going round phayao bus station after dark ... if you happen to be in the area : )

dave2

post-42592-0-73944100-1299340402_thumb.j

post-42592-0-61073500-1299341123_thumb.j

getlost.

re .... A better on yet go down to Phitsanulok and check out the action around the bus station at night

theres no need to go that far ...

try going round phayao bus station after dark ... if you happen to be in the area : )

dave2

Need a night time shot of the action.:whistling:

A better on yet go down to Phitsanulok and check out the action around the bus station at night.. Reminds me of the Greyhound bus depots in the states in the early 60's :lol:

Reminds me of waking from my sleep on a long overnight bus-ride, to see a gaudily-painted but scantily-clad young damsel tottering enthusiastically down the road chasing her prospective-beau, as we pulled-out from P'lok Bus-Station ! The magic of travel in Thailand ! :rolleyes:

Edited by Ricardo

Reminds me of waking from my sleep on a long overnight bus-ride, to see a gaudily-painted but scantily-clad young damsel tottering enthusiastically down the road chasing her prospective-beau, as we pulled-out from P'lok Bus-Station ! The magic of travel in Thailand ! :rolleyes:

Amazing Thailand :lol:

girls girls girls, if you ain't gottem, you'll not gettem!

David

<deleted> my dear friend, as you well know!! Girls open a huge new way to get ripped off in the bar trade: If you want to open a bar, get stuck in and do so. Chiang Mai;s bar scene depends on a couple of new guys with new ideas setting up every year: that's why we have such an amazing wealth of bars and restaurants in town. As has been mentioned above, if you don't have a Thai partner, get a good lawyer- Sunbelt Asia has been mentioned - their rates are expensive, but I gather they get results. The other thing is: be different! do something the others don't do! Expats will support something innovative. Good luck and don't let people put you off.

BTW: if you can persuade David Oxen to play his keyboard in your bar, it will certainly help your business- I've tried, but so far he won't bite!!!!

Our Millwall Fan is 100% correct on one point, is that girls do open a huge new way to get ripped off in the bar trade. These women are problematic, full stop. This means that a bar owner has to be of a certain type, well seasoned, a bit of a thug himself and well experienced in dealing with his employees. If not, they will end up controlling him perhaps with devastating consequences for the owner. Also taking into consideration that whatever new ideas you may think of, these may not be permitted within the adult entertainments industries of Chiang Mai that has been highly restricted by the authorities. What goes in Bangkok and Pattaya cannot be compared with Chiang Mai.

I doubt if there is anyway a farang could legally own a bar solely in his own name. In any event it will cost him a truckload of cash to find a trustworthy lawyer whose life ambitions is to safeguard the owners interests.

You could do what many of them do, that is use an up front Thai name and insure the nice policeman or mafia pal never runs short of tea money, which is illegal. That`s OK if you don`t mind becoming involved with criminal gangs.

My advice is, unless you have a wealth of experience in this game or know a trustworthy man that does and can show you the way, it is common sense to leave well alone.

Now, would I lie to you?

Awesome, I have never been called a thug before. And here I am more than two years later still making money by treating my girls nicely, but then again what do I know?

As for the rest, if I could go back in time I would have put my money nearer Niman and done something for Thais. More because of the steadier month to month income than issues dealing with bar girls.

But if you are serious about starting something, you can pm me. I've been through most of it myself, including Thai Ltd etc.

Anders

Out towards the Royal Flora Park on Avenue Phitsanulok,

Ratchapruek Rd.

you mean the city? or a street named Phitsanulok?

Hint. Look for Christmas lites.

Or, somewhat more respectable on the corner where Big C Hang Dong is. Looks very nice, though the wait is for a 10 wheel truck not quite making the turn on to the Middle Ring road and taking out several of those bars. ;)

But pretty much all along the Middle Ring; some restaurants, some bars. Some respectable, some less so. :rolleyes:

Middle Ring? I guess you are not talking about The Hobbit right? do you mean the link road between Hang Dong Road and canal Road? that brings you out opposite Big C? I saw some small bars along there

actually there IS a market for a 'girl' bar around Nimman (there ain't any) or around Hang Dong (there ain't any)

HuH!? Nimman I don't know, but there are LOADS in Hang Dong! Follow the christmas lights. Also most of the Southern stretch of the Middle ring is in Hang Dong district. Even just that stretch has more bars than Loi Kroh. Plust it seems that a boutique-resort has opened near them, with daily or hourly rates. It looks rather nice. (Except you'd be U-turning miles down the road to get there from the best fo the bars, or back up against traffic.. )

on the link road to hang dong road? facing Big C? I saw a few along there - I'll go check them out for research - if it's not them where? (sorry if I appear dumb but I just moved here).

actually there IS a market for a 'girl' bar around Nimman (there ain't any) or around Hang Dong (there ain't any)

HuH!? Nimman I don't know, but there are LOADS in Hang Dong! Follow the christmas lights. Also most of the Southern stretch of the Middle ring is in Hang Dong district. Even just that stretch has more bars than Loi Kroh. Plust it seems that a boutique-resort has opened near them, with daily or hourly rates. It looks rather nice. (Except you'd be U-turning miles down the road to get there from the best fo the bars, or back up against traffic.. )

double post (in my excitement!) apologies

Edited by ChiangMaiFun

The other night coming from town out the 118 towards Doi Saket from the second rang road or the 121, I counted 30 yes thirty bars form the 121 to the Doi Saket Hospital and that was just ones on the 118. I know of at least another 6 that are off the highway. Who needs Loi Khro.:lol:

Middle Ring? I guess you are not talking about The Hobbit right? do you mean the link road between Hang Dong Road and canal Road?

that brings you out opposite Big C? I saw some small bars along there

There are several roads linking the Hang Dong road and the Canal Road, but yes, the one that passes Big C at the underpass.

Middle Ring? I guess you are not talking about The Hobbit right? do you mean the link road between Hang Dong Road and canal Road?

that brings you out opposite Big C? I saw some small bars along there

There are several roads linking the Hang Dong road and the Canal Road, but yes, the one that passes Big C at the underpass.

oh right the small section of bars just before you turn into Big C? I think they are different than the other 30 odd bars everyone else mentioned - anyway research demands I check them out!

Met a very disgruntled pair of TV members last night who'd been scouring the Big C area for night life, and not finding any! Winnie, Gotlost, think a guided tour might be needed :)

David

If you were in the Dong area your not even close to where my 30 bars are.:lol:

Met a very disgruntled pair of TV members last night who'd been scouring the Big C area for night life, and not finding any! Winnie, Gotlost, think a guided tour might be needed :)

David

haha yes we spent 2 hours looking for these 30 bars! spent a little time (not fruitful) at the bars around Big C then spent a pleasant time with David but alas are no nearer finding these 'lost' bars!