Opening A Bar In Chiang Mai

HansBlinkers

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Um, get more help than just Thaivisa...........

just looking for a few pointers

K, question was just kinda too general - but as you get busy you'll have many more specific questions. PM sent, been there with a couple of businesses started with no Thai spouse etc. Really it's not the difficult, met several people that greatly enjoy the start up part of a new business in the land of smiles.

Good luck and keep us posted for opening day beer deals

girls girls girls, if you ain't gottem, you'll not gettem!

David

<deleted> my dear friend, as you well know!! Girls open a huge new way to get ripped off in the bar trade: If you want to open a bar, get stuck in and do so. Chiang Mai;s bar scene depends on a couple of new guys with new ideas setting up every year: that's why we have such an amazing wealth of bars and restaurants in town. As has been mentioned above, if you don't have a Thai partner, get a good lawyer- Sunbelt Asia has been mentioned - their rates are expensive, but I gather they get results. The other thing is: be different! do something the others don't do! Expats will support something innovative. Good luck and don't let people put you off.

BTW: if you can persuade David Oxen to play his keyboard in your bar, it will certainly help your business- I've tried, but so far he won't bite!!!!

3 words of advice: free salty snacks. So few bars in Chiang Mai do this, I don't understand why.

Carnival! And the bar on the corner of Soi 1. The latter only has old ugly ladyboys, but fuc_k, free peanuts! (take care pronouncing this properly pls.)

Seriously: this is Chiang Mai.. there's a very marginal difference between 'free' and 'damned near free' snacks from street vendors going past, which are more fun to share too.

Opening a new bar: As you may remember I did a post a while ago that amounted to excellent market research: Open a Hooters branch! (And make sure to get both the food and the girls right). At least it meets Millwall Fan's advice on doing something different.

Consider that if one is willing to go drink with stunningly beautiful Lahna Girls from CMU and other's, Large Tigers can be had for 43 THB each, which is less than 7-11, and they don't have to worry about BiB. The vulture's bars along Loi Kroi sit empty for a good part of the day, and the regulars know where to get a good meal for 30 THB, so don't think you're going to sell a lot of 200 THB mini-pizzas or stuff like that.

People have been shaken down for playing CDs, or for simply greeting customers without a WP. I think the real money is made by the people who lease bars to people like yourself, get the key money, lather rinse repeat, about twice a year.

Consider that if one is willing to go drink with stunningly beautiful Lahna Girls from CMU and other's, Large Tigers can be had for 43 THB each, which is less than 7-11, and they don't have to worry about BiB. The vulture's bars along Loi Kroi sit empty for a good part of the day, and the regulars know where to get a good meal for 30 THB, so don't think you're going to sell a lot of 200 THB mini-pizzas or stuff like that.

People have been shaken down for playing CDs, or for simply greeting customers without a WP. I think the real money is made by the people who lease bars to people like yourself, get the key money, lather rinse repeat, about twice a year.

Your not to far off the mark on the second paragraph.

yea we really need another bar ph34r.gif

Why not?

If the OP has found a gap in the market he should go for it.

He is not going this "Blinkered" :D

actually there IS a market for a 'girl' bar around Nimman (there ain't any) or around Hang Dong (there ain't any) so David's advice is not too far off if you are serious (gulp!) - I might even be tempted to visit

yea we really need another bar ph34r.gif

Why not?

If the OP has found a gap in the market he should go for it.

He is not going this "Blinkered" :D

actually there IS a market for a 'girl' bar around Nimman (there ain't any) or around Hang Dong (there ain't any) so David's advice is not too far off if you are serious (gulp!) - I might even be tempted to visit

There already there. You just have to know what your looking for :ph34r:

actually there IS a market for a 'girl' bar around Nimman (there ain't any) or around Hang Dong (there ain't any)

HuH!? Nimman I don't know, but there are LOADS in Hang Dong! Follow the christmas lights. Also most of the Southern stretch of the Middle ring is in Hang Dong district. Even just that stretch has more bars than Loi Kroh. Plust it seems that a boutique-resort has opened near them, with daily or hourly rates. It looks rather nice. (Except you'd be U-turning miles down the road to get there from the best fo the bars, or back up against traffic.. )

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

actually there IS a market for a 'girl' bar around Nimman (there ain't any) or around Hang Dong (there ain't any)

HuH!? Nimman I don't know, but there are LOADS in Hang Dong! Follow the christmas lights. Also most of the Southern stretch of the Middle ring is in Hang Dong district. Even just that stretch has more bars than Loi Kroh. Plust it seems that a boutique-resort has opened near them, with daily or hourly rates. It looks rather nice. (Except you'd be U-turning miles down the road to get there from the best fo the bars, or back up against traffic.. )

Some people would need directions form Helen Keller.:whistling:

girls girls girls, if you ain't gottem, you'll not gettem!

David

<deleted> my dear friend, as you well know!! Girls open a huge new way to get ripped off in the bar trade: If you want to open a bar, get stuck in and do so. Chiang Mai;s bar scene depends on a couple of new guys with new ideas setting up every year: that's why we have such an amazing wealth of bars and restaurants in town. As has been mentioned above, if you don't have a Thai partner, get a good lawyer- Sunbelt Asia has been mentioned - their rates are expensive, but I gather they get results. The other thing is: be different! do something the others don't do! Expats will support something innovative. Good luck and don't let people put you off.

BTW: if you can persuade David Oxen to play his keyboard in your bar, it will certainly help your business- I've tried, but so far he won't bite!!!!

David Oxon is absolutely right and not <deleted> as you quite politely put it, my dearest friend. It is the girls that attract the punters, this is what makes these bars tick over. I am sure it`s not the magnificence of the outstanding décor or the array of fine foods, beers and spirits that would be a bars main attraction that of course being if you could find one that actually serves them.

And as for the amazing wealth of bars and restaurants in town, where are they? Most of the best joints in town were either toned down or completely closed by the police years ago. There are a few far and between decent places around and the rest are complete dumps.

Our Millwall Fan is 100% correct on one point, is that girls do open a huge new way to get ripped off in the bar trade. These women are problematic, full stop. This means that a bar owner has to be of a certain type, well seasoned, a bit of a thug himself and well experienced in dealing with his employees. If not, they will end up controlling him perhaps with devastating consequences for the owner. Also taking into consideration that whatever new ideas you may think of, these may not be permitted within the adult entertainments industries of Chiang Mai that has been highly restricted by the authorities. What goes in Bangkok and Pattaya cannot be compared with Chiang Mai.

I doubt if there is anyway a farang could legally own a bar solely in his own name. In any event it will cost him a truckload of cash to find a trustworthy lawyer whose life ambitions is to safeguard the owners interests.

You could do what many of them do, that is use an up front Thai name and insure the nice policeman or mafia pal never runs short of tea money, which is illegal. That`s OK if you don`t mind becoming involved with criminal gangs.

My advice is, unless you have a wealth of experience in this game or know a trustworthy man that does and can show you the way, it is common sense to leave well alone.

Now, would I lie to you?

Edited by Beetlejuice

A good post from Beetlejuice, there are exceptions to the rule though big screen tv's showing sport or pubs catering to the tourist market like the Red Lion do pretty well.

Girls will always be a big draw though see the response to Winnie's previous bogus Hooters post.

Speaking of bars. It is rumored that a gigantic, new sports bar with food will be opening soon directly opposite the original Mike's Hamburger place in the building with the beauty academy that has just closed. :ph34r:

If it does, hope it does better than the last sports bar that was on Chang Klan Rd, 4 stories up.:whistling: