Bangkok Subway And Skytrain Ridership Rockets

george

Bangkok train ridership rises as higher oil prices discourage drivers

BANGKOK: -- The number of riders on Bangkok's subway and elevated skytrain have increased by tens of thousands as drivers opt for mass transit instead because of high oil prices, transit officials said.

The ridership for the skytrain, which opened in 1999, had leveled out at about 370,000-380,000 on an average weekday, but in August the number rose dramatically, Anat Arbhabhirama, Bangkok Mass Transit System spokesman, said Tuesday.

"Last month it shot up to 400,000. It happened to be at the same time that oil prices increased,'' said Anat.

"It is probably because of oil prices because the numbers had been steady for a long time and then they rose to another level.''

Bangkok's one-year-old subway had about 160,000 riders on an average weekday as of December, but the number has gradually increased to 185,000.

"This was a trend partly because of increased energy costs since June,'' said Chartchai Praditphong, spokesman for Bangkok Metro Public Co. Ltd., which runs the subway.

Crude oil prices are about 50 percent higher than they were a year ago.

In Thailand, gasoline prices are up about 26 percent this year to 26.5 baht a liter (US$2.47 a gallon).

-- AP 2005-09-13

BANGKOK: -- The number of riders on Bangkok's subway and elevated skytrain have increased by tens of thousands as drivers opt for mass transit instead because of high oil prices, transit officials said.

Any Bangkokians notice an appreciable drop in the amount of traffic on the roads?

Any Bangkokians notice an appreciable drop in the amount of traffic on the roads?

Actualy yes, much better. I posted earlier here that we could notice a gas price effect in the roads. For how long though ? rush hours is always bad but at least they are shorter now. It used to be rush hours here between 3:00pm to 9:00pm, now it's more like 4:00pm to 8:00pm

Bangkok train ridership rises as higher oil prices discourage drivers

The ridership for the skytrain, which opened in 1999, had leveled out at about 370,000-380,000 on an average weekday, but in August the number rose dramatically, Anat Arbhabhirama, Bangkok Mass Transit System spokesman, said Tuesday.

"Last month it shot up to 400,000. It happened to be at the same time that oil prices increased,'' said Anat. 

"It is probably because of oil prices because the numbers had been steady for a long time and then they rose to another level.''

Bangkok's one-year-old subway had about 160,000 riders on an average weekday as of December, but the number has gradually increased to 185,000.

"This was a trend partly because of increased energy costs since June,'' said Chartchai Praditphong, spokesman for Bangkok Metro Public Co. Ltd., which runs the subway.

Crude oil prices are about 50 percent higher than they were a year ago.

In Thailand, gasoline prices are up about 26 percent this year to 26.5 baht a liter (US$2.47 a gallon).

-- AP 2005-09-13

Even more reason for the powers that be to get off their backsides and build a decent railway net work as soon as possible!

-- AP 2005-09-13

That goes to show the power of ThaiVisa has extended to the Associated Press. They must have been reading Tukyleith's thread about fuel prices and converted it to $/gallon from B/liter for us. :o

As for traffic decrease from increased prices...in this part of Thailand, anyway, it doesn't seem to have had any effect at all. Just as many, if not more, vehicles clogging the roads.

Agree completely with marquess in that this is good evidence that people WILL ride mass transit if it's available in their area. Expansion of the current system in BKK should go forward, not backward...as in the cancellation of the orange/purple lines...

As for traffic decrease from increased prices...in this part of Thailand, anyway, it doesn't seem to have had any effect at all. Just as many, if not more, vehicles clogging the roads.

I haven't noticed any real change in the traffic level in Chiang Mai either, but on the other hand I tend to stay off the roads during rush hour so I'm perhaps not the best judge. :o

Agree completely with marquess in that this is good evidence that people WILL ride mass transit if it's available in their area. Expansion of the current system in BKK should go forward, not backward...as in the cancellation of the orange/purple lines...

Lack of decent public transportation in Chiang Mai continues to be a problem. All long as the tuk-tuk/songtaew mafia continue to call the shots, the situation is unlikely to change.

Have they added any carriages or additional trains to the Skytrain system or are people even more crammed together than they were before the ridership increase?

I was in Bangkok last week and used the Skytrain often. Never saw anything but the standard three-carriage train. The platforms look like they would accomodate at least a five-carriage train, I think the problem is that the BTS does not own any extra "middle" carriages.

I haven't noticed any real change in the traffic level in Chiang Mai either, but on the other hand I tend to stay off the roads during rush hour so I'm perhaps not the best judge. :D

See that? Just more evidence that the North is much better. It's traffic condition is levelling off, while here, it's getting worse. People should go to the North as driving is not as bad there...definitely. Much nicer, comparatively speaking, to travel around the North...Yes, it's the place everyone should go to... definitely...

**admittedly quite a weak one, but given the situation, not much I could work with... and besides, I couldn't resist...** :D:D

Lack of decent public transportation in Chiang Mai continues to be a problem. All long as the tuk-tuk/songtaew mafia continue to call the shots, the situation is unlikely to change.

People interested in going North, please disregard.... :D

Have they added any carriages or additional trains to the Skytrain system or are people even more crammed together than they were before the ridership increase?

I was in Bangkok last week and used the Skytrain often. Never saw anything but the standard three-carriage train. The platforms look like they would accomodate at least a five-carriage train, I think the problem is that the BTS does not own any extra "middle" carriages.

I agree... the platforms are quite long and could easily handle the extra cars. Didn't they used to have more before losing a couple in a collision? Surprised that haven't been "patched together with duct tape" and put back into service. :o

Of course, it's main limitation is the area of service which is unchanged since opening over 5 and half years ago (got to ride it on it's first month of operation and was totally impressed... :D)..... but certainly expansion to have farther effect on overall traffic, hence the orange/purple creations, but alas... they've essentially been scrapped once again... :D

See that? Just more evidence that the North is much better. It's traffic condition is levelling off, while here, it's getting worse. People should go to the North as driving is not as bad there...definitely. Much nicer, comparatively speaking, to travel around the North...Yes, it's the place everyone should go to... definitely...

No, no, a thousand-times no!. Traffic sucks during rush hour. That's why I stay home. Yet another reason why people should head south (or east!). :D

but certainly expansion to have farther effect on overall traffic, hence the orange/purple creations, but alas... they've essentially been scrapped once again... :o

Are they? Last I read these were on again (maybe) but this situation seems to change like the weather. The Thai government needs to decide whether they want to run public transportation in Bangkok as a money-making business or whether the goal is to simply provide an attractive alternative to get people out of their vehicles and off the roads.