Chiang Mai To China By Car....Need Passengers

I will be driving my own car from Chiang Mai Thailand to Dali, Yunnan, China around March 22, 2011 and am looking for other passengers to share the cost of gas. The route will pass through Chiang Rai, Luang Namtha (Laos), Jinghong (Xishuangbanna, China) before ending in Dali (near Kunming, Lijiang), and you are welcome to get on/off at any of these places.

It will take about 1.5 days in total versus 3-4 days by bus or boat. Depending on how many of us there are, I estimate the cost per person at $50-90 (not including the $30laos visa you will need to obtain to pass through laos on the way to China), which means it is the fastest, cheapest, most convenient, and probably most comfortable way to get from chiang mai to China.

If you are interested, e-mail me asap at << Use PM >>. Thanks!

Edited by thaiphoon
E-mail address removed per forum rules

Flights to Kunming (currently via BKK, but soon direct from CNX) are 2500 baht. No Lao visa needed to add to cost. Arrive the same day. Definitely "the fastest, cheapest, most convenient, and probably most comfortable way to get from chiang mai to China."

I take it you have the car passport to take your vehicle into Laos and the similar permit for China?

you also have a Chinese driver organised - as it is illegal for those without Chinese licenses to drive in China. Or has that law changed?

Flights to Kunming (currently via BKK, but soon direct from CNX) are 2500 baht. No Lao visa needed to add to cost. Arrive the same day. Definitely "the fastest, cheapest, most convenient, and probably most comfortable way to get from chiang mai to China."

Not soon China Eastern ARE flying CNX to Kunming.:D

2500 Baht ?

that can not be true

2500 Baht ?

that can not be true

Pretty simple. It can be true. Just go to Thai Airway's website and use the date the OP suggested. One way only as the OP does not say when or if he's returning.

• 2 weeks later...

What an ass! Not only does Thai Airways not fly from Chiang Mai -> Kunming, but it's Bangkok-> Kunming flight is priced at 11,800 Baht. China Eastern is indeed the only airline that flies directly between the two cities, and the ticket is 1750RMB (7500 Baht?). For the benefit of "el jefe" (who clearly has nothing better to do than to instigate on this forum), I'll qualify my original posting by saying that this is the cheapest (apparently not the fastest...) way to get to china.

I live in China and have a Chinese driver's license and all of the necessary permits to drive back. We are currently in Chiang Mai and will be returning to China as scheduled in a week or so. There is one seat left in the car if anyone (except for el jefe) wants it.

the op already stated he has his chinese driving licence anfd he lives in china so i think he knows what hes talking about. B)

No, you cannot drive around in China without having driving license; also you need a special permit to drive around there. So you need to confirm that before going for any travel purpose in China.

• 5 months later...

2500 Baht ?

that can not be true

Pretty simple. It can be true. Just go to Thai Airway's website and use the date the OP suggested. One way only as the OP does not say when or if he's returning.

What an ass! Not only does Thai Airways not fly from Chiang Mai -> Kunming, but it's Bangkok-> Kunming flight is priced at 11,800 Baht. China Eastern is indeed the only airline that flies directly between the two cities, and the ticket is 1750RMB (7500 Baht?). For the benefit of "el jefe" (who clearly has nothing better to do than to instigate on this forum), I'll qualify my original posting by saying that this is the cheapest (apparently not the fastest...) way to get to china.

I live in China and have a Chinese driver's license and all of the necessary permits to drive back. We are currently in Chiang Mai and will be returning to China as scheduled in a week or so. There is one seat left in the car if anyone (except for el jefe) wants it.