Pet Squirrels

111tingtong

Toy shop ?

tell your kids 'Squirrels are not pets.'

Crazy.

Squirrels would escape from an open garden in a heartbeat and they certainly weren't designed to live in a cage, if that's what the OP is planning.

Edited by uptheos

Toy shop ?

tell your kids 'Squirrels are not pets.'

Crazy.

Hehe They bite!!!!!

Ok if u get a baby squirrel u will get a good "friend...if it's a grown up,buy it and release it (you will see how happy it is.and he/she might stay near by your house)

:)

Correct, I've just come back from a friends house who had a squirrel since a baby. It lives around his house/garden very happily and comes down for a visit when there's people around, very friendly.

Back to the original question....

Ouch ,sorry...Weekendmarkeds/ let people know u want,and soon u get 1 (or10) Hehe

Have a great Weekend :)

Edit; Forgot to say,you can also buy a trap.( they have all kind of traps down here)

Edited by norwayeagle

Thanks man, will try the markets.

Traps won't be necessary

The animal market just this side of Lampang have them. Maybe you should get a mating pair, and then free the older ones after they have a young one. That is if you really want to keep a wild animal in a cage

Sold in many markets around chiang mai.Baby Sugar Glder Squirrels(Australian) are very popular as pets in thailand(even in europe)

Very tame and clingy animals when they get to know you.They need a good balanced diet of fruits and veg

Need big cages to glide around,which can be bought near cm gate at various pet shops.

Youtube - sugar glider,and see how popular they are

post-22983-0-97631700-1299310111_thumb.j

Forgive me if I am wrong, but I have always thought that squirrels live in trees, prefer high places and require lots of space to climb and run about?

Squirrels are rodents and enjoy chewing on wood and tree bark. They are basically tree dwelling rats with bushy tails.

They also like to borrow, you know, the old joke about the squirrel burying it`s nuts.Somehow I cannot see that a cage, even a large one would be a suitable environment for these animals.

I don’t think it would be so easy to release them back into the wild after having been brought up in captivity from an early age. They would be too tame and susceptible to being caught by dogs and cats and even people who might see them as a light launch time snack. Also they may have problems fending for themselves if having been previously cared for and not used to finding food in a natural habitat.

I would first do some thorough research on these animals before committing yourself to they`re welfare and well being.. Same goes for any other species you may consider owning.

Forgive me if I am wrong, but I have always thought that squirrels live in trees, prefer high places and require lots of space to climb and run about?

Squirrels are rodents and enjoy chewing on wood and tree bark. They are basically tree dwelling rats with bushy tails.

They also like to borrow, you know, the old joke about the squirrel burying it`s nuts.Somehow I cannot see that a cage, even a large one would be a suitable environment for these animals.

I don't think it would be so easy to release them back into the wild after having been brought up in captivity from an early age. They would be too tame and susceptible to being caught by dogs and cats and even people who might see them as a light launch time snack. Also they may have problems fending for themselves if having been previously cared for and not used to finding food in a natural habitat.

I would first do some thorough research on these animals before committing yourself to they`re welfare and well being.. Same goes for any other species you may consider owning.

You make some good points BJ.

I don't think it would be so easy to release them back into the wild after having been brought up in captivity from an early age. They would be too tame and susceptible to being caught by dogs and cats and even people who might see them as a light launch time snack. Also they may have problems fending for themselves if having been previously cared for and not used to finding food in a natural habitat.

Beetlejuice is on a roll with his words of wisdom, the last few days he is my Thai Visa Guru :D , why can't the OP buy a cat, dog or fish like the rest of us?

Beetlejuice is on a roll with his words of wisdom, the last few days he is my Thai Visa Guru :D , why can't the OP buy a cat, dog or fish like the rest of us?

If the whole world did what "the rest of us" do it would be pretty boring, no? whistling.gif

Yeah, the squirrel in a cage idea sounds bad to me as well.

I live in an apt bldg next to some old growth trees that are huge.

Watching the squirrels running and jumping from branch to branch, occasionally farking up and falling...doing their squirrel thing gives me no end of pleasure- why would anyone want to put such a creature in a small cage as a pet?

Buy a rabbit instead. Lucky for you, lucky for squirrel.....:)

Yeah, the squirrel in a cage idea sounds bad to me as well.

I live in an apt bldg next to some old growth trees that are huge.

Watching the squirrels running and jumping from branch to branch, occasionally farking up and falling...doing their squirrel thing gives me no end of pleasure- why would anyone want to put such a creature in a small cage as a pet?

Buy a rabbit instead. Lucky for you, lucky for squirrel.....:)

Absolutely right,but what i think the op forget to mention is that he is not referring to the squirrel's we see in the trees and like,his said friend probably had a Sugar Glider,which are one of the fastest growing pets in the west(never mind asia) and live up to 5 years longer as pets.Even had a 1 hour show on animal planet Australia saying they make good pets(if looked after correctly of course)Not that im saying i agree.ps they sleep between 20-22 hours a day,so not ideal a pet even though they bond with you like a baby